Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2013, 07:50   #1

Leaving U.S. To The Med

Not sure if this is the right place to post, so I appreciate corrections or movng the thread to where it belongs.

Hello,

Im leaving (solo) to the Mediterranean from the coast of Louisiana, Calcasieu pass next April( around the 15, +/- of course). About 8 das to Fl straits, and another 12 days or so to Bermuda then on to the Azores and into Jabal Tarek( Gibraltar), and on.

I am looking to see if any other boat(im sure there are plenty) who are making the crossing around the same time, just to stay in touch.

If you are, please send pm and ill give you my email/phone number and take it from there.

Thanks,

Richard
Old 09-12-2013, 08:43   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
Re: Leaving U.S. To The Med

Richard -- we are a USA boat that sailed over last may - we left antigua on May 1 --
If i would you I would WAIT -- the greeks just put in a new crusing fee that will basically make cruising in Greece unaffordable unless you got a lot of $$$ - we are a 40' boat and if we read it correctly it will cost us 1219 euros for the few months we are allowed to be there
the schengren agreement is problem enough but this makes the eastern med very difficult to get to --
we had planned to sail greece and winter over in turkey next year but it looks like we will sail eastern italy, croatia, and albania and then we need to make a decision of coming back to tunisia for the following winter or do an 7 day sail to Israel for the winter -
if we do not do Israel this year we got a 7 day sail the following year to avoid the incredibly high crusing fees in Greece --
we love the Med but the Greeks just really screwed it up big time

so our advice is be patient and wait and cruise the western caribbean and see what transpires in Greece
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 15:06   #3

Re: Leaving U.S. To The Med

Chuck,

Thanks for the advice.

I had no plans for Greece nor turkey. I will probably stop by corsica then to cypruss and on.

Im a bit tight(aint we all) so I dont pay for what I dont believe in. been once to Greece and that was ir for me...

Good luck in your winter plans. I hope ot all works oit, maybe we'll get in touch when im there...

Richard