Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2014, 05:00   #31
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
That's a key revelation. The more we sail in the med the slower we find ourselves going. To the point where we spent several summers just moving about 60 miles in total !

Dave
Old 31-01-2014, 03:21   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Charter vessels!
Re: Itinerary Suggestions for Sailing Med

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Miss View Post
First for insurance I need to give our insurance agent a route from France to Turkey which we plan to take 4 weeks to do. <snip> but I thought it would be good to have some research under our belt for this trip.

The second itinerary suggestions I am looking forward relates to planning a 2 week trip in Greece and then another 2 weeks either in Greece or Turkey with our best friends. My girlfriend is a "planner extraordinaire" and has asked me for a route itinerary for the 2 x 2 week periods in mid May and last two weeks of June 2015 so she can start planning . Our friends will spend 2 wks on 4 wks away and 2 wks before coming back to Australia. <snip>
You'll find all the information you need if you google "jimbsail mediterranian". Click the Mediterranean tab to get the general information (weather and stuff) and estimate the rough distances, then drill down to the pages you'd like to learn more about. Pages have maps, so places are easy to visualise, and route planning is easy. Airports are noted, helps with planning connections.

JimB
jckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 21:08   #33
Rav

Boat: Semaster Sailer 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jckb View Post
You'll find all the information you need if you google "jimbsail mediterranian".
JimB
JimBsail really will tell you everythihg that you need to know about your sailing options in Greece.
Also, Rod Heikell's Greek pilot books are beautifully written and spot on for accuracy. You will need the pilot for Greece so you may as well start enjoying it now!

Between these two very knowledgeable sources you should have all the information that you need to follow the smart advice someone gave about 'researching Greece and then picking your route when you are there.

When you read JimB and Heikell, you will realise that you are spoiled for choice for beautiful sailing wherever you go.

One thing that you will need to decide, at some point, is whether to go through the (fabulous) Corinth canal or 'around the outside'. But that is probably a decision that can wait till you get to the bottom of Kefalonia.

Enjoy your adventure and the very best of luck!
Rav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2014, 07:09   #34

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

As for Turkey, its important to book by fare, not by airport. I havent flown in or out, but i understand Dalaman airport near Marmaris has cheap flights because theres many English tourists.

However, Bodrum airport was, dunno if it still is, extremely expensive because no Uk tourists go there.
So practicalities may influence you decision.

Mark
Lots and lots of British tourists go to just about everywhere in Turkey so flights should be relatively cheap to any on the main destinations including Bodrum.
Alas, finding these flights can be a nightmare and sites like skyscanner don't always come up with the best deal, or they come up with a silly routing like Manchester, Oslo, Preveza to save €10! 3.5 hours direct v 23 hours through Oslo to save €10? I don't think so!!
Making long journeys by road can be awful in Turkey and probably best avoided.

Try Thomascook Airlines, Thomson Airlines, Jet2 and Monarch in addition to EasyJet and Ryan.

Insurance... mentioned earlier in thread.... Try GJW. I paid a one off suplement for the journey and the only stipulations made were crossing Biscay during July-August.
Why would they want to restrict you to named ports, it just introduces extra and needless pressure.

You can check out our Journey at;

You might also want to read the log of Aussie's Rob and Karen doing Med the slow way at;

Dreamtime Sail

Above all enjoy.
Alenka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing