Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2015, 12:33   #61

Re: Impressions of the Baltic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
People do sail in the Kiel Canal, but you need your motoring cone and to be using your motor at all times.

But both times I've transited the Canal, it was a dead calm.

The OP would want to get a tow, I think. If he coincides with us (about 5 or 6 May) we will be glad to tow him. Or there are always plenty of pleasure boats who would be glad to help, I would think.

Oooh, that IS a generous offer. I might just take you up on it. And your dates give me excellent motivation to get cracking.
Okay, that's now my new target; be at the start of the Kiel by 4th May, and keep eyes peeled for Dockhead and his massive boat (which could probably fit my little Contessa on her foredeck).
Struth, I've only got four weeks, better get cracking...
Normanby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 12:39   #62

resetting the vat clock
We have been sailing in northern europe since 2000 on a non VAT paid boat. While in the baltic, we always reset our VAT clock by sailing to Norway. We have recently headed south to Holland and thought that we should ask the question you are asking. We wrote GB, France, Portugal and Spain. We received answers back from only 2- GB and Portugal. GB customs said that they would consider that when we left the Channel Islands we would be considered entering the EU for VAT purposes. Portugal said the opposite - that since the channel islands is within the customs territory the date that we entered the first eu country would dictate time in eu. Since Portugal is not bound by a previous rulling (ie GB), if you plan to head south at some time you may want to clearly reset you VAT clock in Norway (or, if you are willing to take a slight chance, Helgoland since it is outside the VAT and customs territory).
longtermcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 12:46   #63

Quote:
Helgoland since it is outside the VAT and customs territory
I am almost certain that Helgoland will not work.

Regards,

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 13:08   #64
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Hello Longtermcruiser. I feel pretty lucky that your first post on the forum was a response to my question - Thank you and welcome to the Cruisers Forum!!

Typically I trust what GBN Dave says because he is pretty informed on this subject. It's not an insurmountable problem to get from Gib to Norway in 18 months, I just worry about no plan "B".

Do you have a blog so we can read up on your adventures? Some like them, some, like me, fail to keep them up.
Old 07-04-2015, 13:27   #65

Boat: Dufour 35

Normanby

You asked
Quote:
Is going around Denmark a viable option?
FWIW, it's always been my option to sail around the tip of Denmark "The Skaw" to/from the UK/Channel area. You avoid all the traffic and other crap along the German and Dutch coast. Perhaps my views are colored by the fact that my Contessa 26 had no inboard engine, and I only use Canals when there is no other option. I have sailed to Kiel many times but never been through the canal.... Even this summer, with a bit bigger boat, the plan is to sail from Thyborön towards Lowestoft or Ramsgate.
So sure it's a viable option if you and your boat are up to the passage.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 13:42   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
The short season is indeed heartbreaking! You never want it to end. But concerning the water temperature -- it's pleasant for swimming even in Finland by July.
It depends on your definition of "pleasant". When I had a boat in Stockholm, there were only 3 or 4 days a summer where the water was warm enough for me and that was only on the freshwater lakes. The sea water in the Archipelago never enticed me into swimming.
Old 07-04-2015, 23:22   #67

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
It depends on your definition of "pleasant". When I had a boat in Stockholm, there were only 3 or 4 days a summer where the water was warm enough for me and that was only on the freshwater lakes. The sea water in the Archipelago never enticed me into swimming.
Well Hoppy - we nordic types have just gotten used to it I guess. With no other options available (heated pools being a rarity) you make do with what you have.

Given the choice - I prefer my water a bit warmer also - but you gotta take what life hands you

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 23:50   #68

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Well Hoppy - we nordic types have just gotten used to it I guess. With no other options available (heated pools being a rarity) you make do with what you have.

Given the choice - I prefer my water a bit warmer also - but you gotta take what life hands you
We swam a lot last summer in Finland. The water was well over 20 during July. It's not like swimming in the Gulf of Mexico, of course, but it's OK. Especially on a hot, sunny day. Or after sauna
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 01:49   #69

Boat: Sweden Yacht 36

Well summer 2014 was quite exceptional up here. That also meant quite a lot of motoring, because that just wasn't enough wind to sail.

Interesting to see what this year will bring. The winter was very warm and very little ice. I have the boat already in water and was sailing through Easter holidays. Seawater +2C and temperatures below freezing during night time...
Kaptah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 02:04   #70

Quote:
Yes, I understand than. People from warmer climates like me might just find it a bit challenging

Quote:
but you gotta take what life hands you
or you move your boat to follow the warmer water
Old 08-04-2015, 02:07   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptah View Post
Well summer 2014 was quite exceptional up here. That also meant quite a lot of motoring, because that just wasn't enough wind to sail.

Interesting to see what this year will bring. The winter was very warm and very little ice. I have the boat already in water and was sailing through Easter holidays. Seawater +2C and temperatures below freezing during night time...
More often than not in the 14 years I've been here, its felt like that mild winters have been followed by a mild and pretty crappy summer
Old 08-04-2015, 02:35   #72

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
More often than not in the 14 years I've been here, its felt like that mild winters have been followed by a mild and pretty crappy summer
Bite your tongue! Last year was spectacular! Let's hope for more of the same.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 02:51   #73

Quote:

On the nordic types swimming topic, in Denmark do children learn to do the freestyle stroke or just breast stroke when learning to swim?

I'm asking this because last night I watched one of those stupid reality TV programs (friend was on it, only reason to turn it on) and the 18 Swedish contestants had to swim 100m to the beach (in Cambodia) and only 1 of the 18 swam freestyle and the rest breast stroke. Given that the last swimmers missed out on something and everyone was young & very fit and it was a competitive show, I would expect everyone to try hard to perform.

I can only conclude that Swedes only ever learn freestyle if they try competitive swimming. I was shocked.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:58   #74

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
On the nordic types swimming topic, in Denmark do children learn to do the freestyle stroke or just breast stroke when learning to swim?

I'm asking this because last night I watched one of those stupid reality TV programs (friend was on it, only reason to turn it on) and the 18 Swedish contestants had to swim 100m to the beach (in Cambodia) and only 1 of the 18 swam freestyle and the rest breast stroke. Given that the last swimmers missed out on something and everyone was young & very fit and it was a competitive show, I would expect everyone to try hard to perform.

I can only conclude that Swedes only ever learn freestyle if they try competitive swimming. I was shocked.
Well Hoppy - I really can't tell you. I learned to swim at a Red Cross camp in the US where we were taught breast stroke, butterfly, sideswim and the crawl. When I think about it, most of my friends only swim the breast stroke, which is best for conserving energy etc. albeit not the fastest stroke around

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 08-04-2015, 03:00   #75

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptah View Post
We sailed all July and we had wind like mad - virtually every day was between 20 and 30 knots. Which made for great sailing although we had it in our faces most of the time (the trials and tribulations of a sailor)

Tags
baltic