Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2018, 17:44   #61
cruiser

Boat: OPBs
Re: ICC in Greece - Laws vs Reality

I did my day skipper with a school in Sydney and they gave me the ICC application form and told me to send away. I haven't done that but if they're doing that I can't see why the RYA wouldn't issue an ICC to a newly minted RYA skipper.

I chartered a boat from Rhodes at the end of the 2016 season and the Charter company were happy with just my day skipper, didn't need the ICC. I had boat docs checked on Tilos and Simi and wasn't asked for anything additionally.

I think you'll be sweet
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2018, 00:29   #62

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaring Girl View Post
The 'proof of competence' (of which the ICC is just one type) raises similar issues to ship registration. If you come from a country which doesn't need it, but are sailing in a country which does, then acquiring a bit of paper that satisfies officials can be a headache. You can waste a lot of time on forums like this bickering about the legal basis for such demands, or complaining about the inconsistency, but none of that's a lot of help in the face of the guy asking (who is doing his job as he sees it, and is the official representative of the state where you are).

So for registration and competence, it is worth finding a way to have a satisfactory bit of paper for these situations as almost anything you do will be preferable to the fines and legal workload. The RYA developed the ICC and the UK Registry created Part III of the Small Ships Register precisely to deal with these lacunae. Neither document is in itself exactly analogous to eg Spanish equivalents - you can get the ICC on its own exam or on the basis of other RYA courses, and the Part III registration proves very little indeed - but they're extremely useful to have.
Exactly!
On top of it - I am sailing over 25 years in Turkey & Greece and never have been asked to produce any proof of competence (which I do have).
But - if you are involved in an accident that is followed by legal or insurance inquiry, this document becomes very important. On such occasion it will be checked against the requirements of: flag country, actual cruising country, insurance policy wording.
meirriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2018, 04:04   #63

Boat: Jeanneau 45,2

At Greece by law you must have sailing license and boat insurance.
Right or wrong is a different discussion.
Of course you can sail and never ask for them but the law is there and you can easy fall at the officer who will make you life difficult ..
Have them or not it is up to you .
Of course a piece of paper doesn’t make you captain but insurance will pay the damage you may create to someone’s else’s boat !!
Boat collision and kamikaze sailors are increasing every day !!
Stakaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2018, 04:50   #64

Boat: Malö 40H

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
How can one have what one cannot legally obtain?

The ICC is currently not enforceable in Greece unless they are happy to empty their waters of sailors from countries that do not issue the ICC. I have a feeling the EU might have some issues with Greece stopping memebers from some EU countries from sailing in their waters.
I think you misread the RYA stance on this.. if you are a citizen of a country that is NOT a signatory to resolution 40 (i.e. a country that doesn't issue ICCs to its citizens) you may obtain an ICC from the RYA..

You may not obtain one from them if you are a citizen that does issue them since you are supposed to obtain it in that case from your home country.

So, you can get one.. and probably should. It is dead easy and a bit of extra knowledge didn't hurt anyone you know?
crankysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2018, 05:24   #65

Boat: Catalina 36 MKI

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankysailor View Post
I think you misread the RYA stance on this.. if you are a citizen of a country that is NOT a signatory to resolution 40 (i.e. a country that doesn't issue ICCs to its citizens) you may obtain an ICC from the RYA..

You may not obtain one from them if you are a citizen that does issue them since you are supposed to obtain it in that case from your home
Except When you are Dutch we have a deal with RYA so we dan do RYA exams and get ICC.

Btw with the new Dekpa ruleS that went into effect last year and the new cruisers tax that will probably be implemented this year and will probably be linked to the Dekpa. And you need to have some kind of proof of competency to get a Dekpa.
De.windhoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2018, 11:22   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankysailor View Post

You may not obtain one from them if you are a citizen that does issue them since you are supposed to obtain it in that case from your home country.

So, you can get one.. and probably should. It is dead easy and a bit of extra knowledge didn't hurt anyone you know?
Many UNECE-40 countries have lousy but still expensive and time consuming sailing instruction, yet their citizens and residents are restricted to get their ICC-s from their home countries only. I am in this boat now and checking the possibilities how I could translate my RYA tickets to an ICC. Obviously without re-learning to tie a bowline...

It might worth to get some temporary residence in a UK dependency or a non-UNECE40 country, I'll see what I can do next time I am travelling.
Old 21-01-2018, 11:27   #67
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: ICC in Greece - Laws vs Reality

So.. what your saying is that the Swiss will not accept an RYA Coastal Skipper ticket.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2018, 11:35   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
So.. what your saying is that the Swiss will not accept an RYA Coastal Skipper ticket.
They don't But I'd be allowed to skip the very basic part of the training taking just an exam, which saves me a week and 6-800 bucks but still leaves a big chunk to do, which if given a chance I'd rather invest in the RYA ladder.

Tags
Greece, icc