Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2021, 09:32   #1

Has anyone got a visa with a marina address?

Looking to hear anyone out there who has applied for a tourist visa or residency visa in the EU and has been able to use marina for an address or what they did instead.Thanks
GR2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2021, 10:04   #2

Re: Has anyone got a visa with a marina address?

What are you looking to do? Where are you from?

You shouldn't need an address for a Tourist Visa. Depending on your country of residence you might not even need a visa at all.

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/tourist-schengen-visa/

EU residency card is obtained for 3rd country citizens who are relatives of an EU citizen.

https://www.etias.us/what-is-the-eu-residence-card/
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2021, 10:43   #3

Thanks. Lol, was hoping not to get into the Schengen discussion as its not for us. We are CDN and want to retire to France or Spain (preferably those top 2) and live aboard. The 1 year tourist visa allows us to apply for residency after the trial year aboard.
Old 27-09-2021, 07:14   #4

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

I don't know of any one year tourist visa for Spain but I've heard some been able to get on the Padron with a non lucrative visa but that could be dependent on location.
Keep the tax consequences in mind. It's not every day someone get caught but can get expensive if you are.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2021, 08:11   #5

In France, there is a 1 year tourist visa and in Spain I think our option is the non-lucrative visa. We would need to file taxes in Spain but with the bi lateral tax agreement it has with Canada to not double tax, I dont believe we would pay any in Spain. Unless there’s something I’m missing? Its a good point though, and we will have to get clarified it professionally beforehand.
Old 27-09-2021, 08:18   #6

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I know that you cannot do so in Germany - one is required to have a registered address and a marina address will not be accepted by the local police (who are responsible for address registrations, called "Einwohneranmeldung").
Old 27-09-2021, 08:37   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Has anyone got a visa with a marina address?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR2023 View Post
Thanks. Lol, was hoping not to get into the Schengen discussion as its not for us. We are CDN and want to retire to France or Spain (preferably those top 2) and live aboard. The 1 year tourist visa allows us to apply for residency after the trial year aboard.
Well if your sailing across do you really need a visa before arrival..???

(QUOTE) Nationals on the Annex II list do not require visas to enter the Schengen Area but often require permission for a stay longer than 90-days or for employment activity on land. Some Annex II countries include Canada, America, Australia and New Zealand.

Visa reciprocity between the Schengen Area and Annex II countries like New Zealand, for example, mean that certain ‘softer’ regulations are in place for tourism and business visits between countries. (QUOTE)

Just sail over and get your visa on arrival.. that sets the path for a marina address being valid for official mail as your correspond with various departments.

S/V Playa del Chicas
H 32, Club Nautico, Viviero.
Galicia, Spain.
Area Code.

Or whatever suits, worked for me but then I also had a native 'sponser'...
A character witness/Guarantor

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2021, 08:39   #8

Thanks for that clarification about Germany! We havent looked into the visas there but they seemed more challenging. The Netherlands also has no real extension options at all! Strasbourg would get us close as a jumping off point into the German canals.
Old 27-09-2021, 08:58   #9

Hmmm. That sounds like an interesting (somewhat more risky) possibility regarding Annex 2 . Where did you get that quote? I know of someone who attempted the bilateral treaty(additional 3 months) route with Spain (to no success). Definitely a sponsor helps! I think some might even accept a sponsor in lieu of a longer rental contract.
Old 27-09-2021, 09:24   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Hmmm. That sounds like an interesting (somewhat more risky) possibility regarding Annex 2 . Where did you get that quote? I know of someone who attempted the bilateral treaty(additional 3 months) route with Spain (to no success). Definitely a sponsor helps! I think some might even accept a sponsor in lieu of a longer rental contract.
https://www.onboardonline.com/supery...chengen-visas/

It would have to be a clearing in port not just a random marina but that would be Horta in the Azores presumably..
After that head for where you want to be based.. and make plenty of local friends..

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 27-09-2021, 09:29   #11
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Has anyone got a visa with a marina address?

Quote:
Looking to hear anyone out there who has applied for a tourist visa or residency visa in the EU and has been able to use marina for an address or what they did instead.Thanks

Here in Greece many U.K. marina residents have received 5 or 10 year resident visas using a marina address.

It should however be pointed out that there is a concession for U.K. persons to achieve settled status that expires end of this year. The rules have been relaxed for this group until then.
Old 27-09-2021, 09:34   #12
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Note there are historical bilateral arrangements with certain EU countries and NZ and Oz in particular , I’m not aware this extends to CDN.
Old 27-09-2021, 09:52   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well considering CETA and this little fact "It has been proposed as early as 2005 that Canada could join the European Union.[10]

Canadians are likely to be welcomed especially in France..

Old 27-09-2021, 10:07   #14

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Quote:
In France, there is a 1 year tourist visa and in Spain I think our option is the non-lucrative visa. We would need to file taxes in Spain but with the bi lateral tax agreement it has with Canada to not double tax, I dont believe we would pay any in Spain. Unless there’s something I’m missing? Its a good point though, and we will have to get clarified it professionally beforehand.
The tax treaty will tell you where the tax should be paid. Few get caught in Spain but it's worth knowing what tax should be paid where and what happens if you don't pay.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2021, 10:11   #15

Ahh, ok, the Annex 2 is from the Schegen stuff. It really doesnt mean much unfortunately and redirects to indiv countries and for France that would be the long stay tourist visa requiring a residence.