Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2016, 22:28   #16

Boat: Sandibar 35
Re: Got to love Amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor_Hutch View Post
Yes, like you, we donate books when we can. My problem is, I tend to keep books until nobody wants them anymore. Finally I say to myself, "Gee self, you haven't opened those books in twenty years, and probably won't for another twenty years." I recently cleaned out the computer section, and took half a van full of such titles as "101 Tricks For DOS" and "Programming for the Paradise Database" to a local store. They just shook their heads, saying that they definitely couldn't spare the shelf space for them. I probably could have put them up on Ebay, since those crazy people buy anything at twice the new value. But, even then, would have been too much trouble...
Haha, yep it's a pity not everyone appreciates one's old treasures . Amazon is truly huge. I got hooked because of Kindle. Without it, I probably would not even have an account. Now I buy a lot of physical stuff there as well and always check between the German, UK and US sites.
Sandibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 22:29   #17

Boat: Sandibar 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
I have bought several books from Book Depository: Millions of books with free delivery worldwide They are international, have better or as good as prices from Amazon, don't charge for shipping, and are reasonably fast. I have heard that they were started by a previous Amazon bigshot and also heard they are owned by Amazon. In any case I prefer them to Amazon.
Thanks for the tip, will have a look here, if they do deliver to the EU.
Sandibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:42   #18

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

I now try to give Amazon zero business. I only go there when I can't get something anywhere else. I shop local first, then the next town over, then eBay, then direct online, then Amazon. They are too big and taking over everything they can. Eventually there won't be much competition and you know what happens then.

Both of us dislike ebooks completely. They work for some but not us old foggies (sic).

Cruising other cruisers were the best source for books. The Admiral was known for here discrimination in finding the best books and our boat was a sought after library. We passed on hundreds and hundreds of books, some we bought but most from other cruisers.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 06:39   #19

Boat: Lots of boats.

I buy a LOT from Amazon. Just found an Amazon supplier for tinned marine wire. Ordered on Monday, received it on Wednesday. Well packed and top notch wire. Many merchants, both large and small, use Amazon to make ordering easy on their customers. Not always the cheapest, but convenience and reliability make them my number one choice.
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:13   #20

Boat: Hunter 386

Have a look at ABE Books. They are hooked up to used bookstores pretty worldwide and we've bought tons of books from them.
Old 12-03-2016, 03:23   #21

If the goal is to help the author, buy the used book and send the author a check for $5. It will still be cheaper and the author will get more money.

The publisher typically gets the vast majority of the cost of a paper book. Ebooks are better but still probably better to get an old copy from a friend and send a few bucks to the author.

We have noticed over the last few years, marina book exchanges have gotten les common and the books available are older and less desirable. I suspect it's the fact most heavy readers are shifting to e-readers.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 03:57   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

One more plug for Amazon.... Prime membership gets everything to my door in 2 days for $0 postage...

The absolute greatest thing for cruisers on the move... OR boats not located in your garage... = AMAZON LOCKER....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...arch_help_sec#

A business that will accept your package... For example.... Flying in for a trip and remembered you wanted that backup impeller because you used the last one??? While you're picking up your ice at 7-Eleven at 0200, grab your part at the counter...

There are 20 listed near my Cali boat, most open 24 hrs

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 04:07   #23

Boat: LAGOON 400

stupid topic.

i was hoping it is about sailing amazon.

arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 05:06   #24

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

For used books try Bookfinder.com first.

They aggregate many used-book databases, including EBay, Half.com, ABE, Thriftbooks, Biblio, Alibris, Valore, ZVAB, Bibliophile, TextbookRUs, IOBA, BookByte, Antiquarian Booksellers Association, plus all the Amazons (US, UK, FR, IT, CA, ES etc.).

They rank all available copies by price including shipping.

It's crazy . . . whenever I see or hear reference to a book I might like, I check Bookfinder -- if it's available for under $5 including shipping, I just buy it. Every week is like Christmas, with books showing up.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote