Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2017, 20:08   #1
Registered User
 
ksgallyrit's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 9
French Riviera

My friends and I will come to Marseille from U.S. and Canada next year. We already reserved our bareboat charter sailboat and we will sail together from Marseille to Monaco and return. We will stop in Toulon, Porquerolles, St. Tropez, Cannes and Monaco.

Did you folks sail there before? Did you experience anything negative? Crime? Language barrier? Mistral wind? Overcrowd? Expensive mooring fees?

Hope to read from you soon.

Thanks,

Cpt. Troy
ksgallyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 03:57   #2
Senior Cruiser
 
GordMay's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 41,790
Images: 241
Re: French Riviera

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Troy.
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 05:47   #3
Registered User
 
ksgallyrit's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 9
Re: French Riviera

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Troy.
Thank you GordMay!
ksgallyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 06:11   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: No home port, full time liveaboard
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50 (aka 49)
Posts: 292
Re: French Riviera

The area you have selected is extremely crowded in July and August and very expensive al year round. If youíre going during summer I suggest you research every marina you want to stop at and make your reservations now without delay. Thatís the best way to know how much youíll be paying as well.

Mistral can happen in summer as well but usually doesnít last that long, but it might disrupt your schedule and reservations. Sailing on a schedule is never easy. You might want to check the cancellation policies of those marinas too. Most of the time thereís very little wind though.

Since the summer is so crowded, it pays to arrive in anchorages before noon to find a spot, when the previous batch of sailors has left and before most of the next ones arrive.

Itís a beautiful area but I never linger because of the prices.
2big2small is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 06:13   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nevada City. CA
Boat: Sceptre 41
Posts: 3,850
Images: 9
Re: French Riviera

There are two marinas in Cannes. One was surprisingly cheap. The other was expensive.
__________________
Fair Winds,

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 15:11   #6
Registered User
 
ksgallyrit's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 9
Re: French Riviera

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big2small View Post
The area you have selected is extremely crowded in July and August and very expensive al year round. If youíre going during summer I suggest you research every marina you want to stop at and make your reservations now without delay. Thatís the best way to know how much youíll be paying as well.

Mistral can happen in summer as well but usually doesnít last that long, but it might disrupt your schedule and reservations. Sailing on a schedule is never easy. You might want to check the cancellation policies of those marinas too. Most of the time thereís very little wind though.

Since the summer is so crowded, it pays to arrive in anchorages before noon to find a spot, when the previous batch of sailors has left and before most of the next ones arrive.

Itís a beautiful area but I never linger because of the prices.
Thank you for your advices.
ksgallyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 15:41   #7
Registered User
 
ksgallyrit's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 9
Re: French Riviera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
There are two marinas in Cannes. One was surprisingly cheap. The other was expensive.
Charlie, can you please give me names of both marinas? Which one is cheap? Thanks much!
ksgallyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 15:43   #8
Registered User
 
ksgallyrit's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 9
Re: French Riviera

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big2small View Post
The area you have selected is extremely crowded in July and August and very expensive al year round. If youíre going during summer I suggest you research every marina you want to stop at and make your reservations now without delay. Thatís the best way to know how much youíll be paying as well.

Mistral can happen in summer as well but usually doesnít last that long, but it might disrupt your schedule and reservations. Sailing on a schedule is never easy. You might want to check the cancellation policies of those marinas too. Most of the time thereís very little wind though.

Since the summer is so crowded, it pays to arrive in anchorages before noon to find a spot, when the previous batch of sailors has left and before most of the next ones arrive.

Itís a beautiful area but I never linger because of the prices.
What is about crime? Terrorist?
ksgallyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 15:49   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Nice, France
Boat: Hunter Marine 38
Posts: 1,107
Re: French Riviera

The area you are visting is there where you find all the superyachts and hollywoodstars in the summer. So yes it is crowded, but they come here for a reason, it is realy a beautifull area. I don'y know how many days you will be cruising here (here because I am myself based in Nice near the Italian border), but there are many beautifull moorings.

Forget the harbor or Porquerolles, in August it is impossible to get a berth there, people make reservations 1 year in advance, but mooring is possible.
Do not arrive to late for a mooring, in August anchor early and you get a good place.
Marinas are expensive, but not so as in Italy where in August they nearly double the price.
Please PM me if you have specific questions.
I will myself be in Italy next summer, otherwise we could have shared a bear.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 16:26   #10
Registered User
 
beauris's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: le Marin martinique
Boat: NEEL 45 #1
Posts: 103
Re: French Riviera

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgallyrit View Post
What is about crime? Terrorist?
are you kidding me? less danger from terrorist than from a us police officer... now seriously...avoid marinas as long as you can the good anchorage are legions
i would recommend "les plus beau mouillages vue du ciel" beside the usual sailing books https://www.amazon.fr/C%C3%B4te-dAzu.../dp/2914205236

you ll see that mostly they are between marseille for the calanques and st tropez area.. porquerolles is a lovely stop.
if you have enough time forego cannes , nice and go to corsica
beauris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 18:27   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nevada City. CA
Boat: Sceptre 41
Posts: 3,850
Images: 9
Re: French Riviera

Sorry I don't know the names. The old Marina was the inexpensive one.
__________________
Fair Winds,

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 18:48   #12
Registered User
 
ksgallyrit's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 9
Re: French Riviera

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauris View Post
are you kidding me? less danger from terrorist than from a us police officer... now seriously...avoid marinas as long as you can the good anchorage are legions
i would recommend "les plus beau mouillages vue du ciel" beside the usual sailing books https://www.amazon.fr/C%C3%B4te-dAzu.../dp/2914205236

you ll see that mostly they are between marseille for the calanques and st tropez area.. porquerolles is a lovely stop.
if you have enough time forego cannes , nice and go to corsica
Thanks much! I appreciated your help.
ksgallyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 18:49   #13
Registered User
 
ksgallyrit's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 9
Re: French Riviera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Sorry I don't know the names. The old Marina was the inexpensive one.
Thanks much Charlie.
ksgallyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 18:50   #14
Registered User
 
ksgallyrit's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 9
Re: French Riviera

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormed View Post
The area you are visting is there where you find all the superyachts and hollywoodstars in the summer. So yes it is crowded, but they come here for a reason, it is realy a beautifull area. I don'y know how many days you will be cruising here (here because I am myself based in Nice near the Italian border), but there are many beautifull moorings.

Forget the harbor or Porquerolles, in August it is impossible to get a berth there, people make reservations 1 year in advance, but mooring is possible.
Do not arrive to late for a mooring, in August anchor early and you get a good place.
Marinas are expensive, but not so as in Italy where in August they nearly double the price.
Please PM me if you have specific questions.
I will myself be in Italy next summer, otherwise we could have shared a bear.
I really appreciated your information. Thanks much.
ksgallyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 07:31   #15
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 43
Re: French Riviera

Hey, french guy here !

Lot of interesting replies already but I'll try to help you with my experience.

Concerning crime and terrorists, despite recent and highly publiced events, France and the south of France is safe. More military are on patrol but overall there is no sense of insecurity.

Crime on marinas are more or less inexistant but don't adventure on dangerous neighbourhood's cities such as north distric of Marseille (seriously, don't go there).

July and August are way too crowded on my opinion. It looks like the all country own a boat.

Language barrier, hmm I'm sure you've heard stories of rude french people. Well, it might be true in Paris but no one like Parisian.

Try to learn some basic words and smile when meeting someone ! We (The French) really paid attention to courtesy ! Follow those two tips and you'll meet wonderful and welcoming people.
aye-aye-captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
enc

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
French Riviera to Tunisia with Deep Water Deliveries Old Frenchie Monohull Sailboats 9 09-05-2013 03:56
Crew Wanted: French Riviera -Tunisia Old Frenchie Crew Archives 3 08-04-2013 08:01

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:00.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.