Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2021, 11:30   #1

Croatia - Berths in city ports - noob question

Hi,

I know it's a super noob question, but I couldn't find this info anywhere.

I'll rent a motorboat for day cruising in the Kvarner area mainly for going to smaller coves with private beaches. But it would also be great to go to a larger city (Krk town, Baska, Rab town etc.) to have lunch, walk an hour in the city or just to have an ice cream. I'm talking about 1-2 hours during daytime, definitely not overnight stay.

How does these city port berths work? Can I just go there and "park" my boat if I find an empty parking spot berth? It sounds too nice to be true. :-) If I have to pay how much is it usually, and to whom and where do I have to pay? Should I contact port authority on VHF when I enter port? What about marinas, do they have short-time berths? Where can I get more info about this for each port?

Thanks!
Tamás
tamasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 07:02   #2

Re: Croatia - Berths in city ports - noob question

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamasr View Post
Hi,

I know it's a super noob question, but I couldn't find this info anywhere.

I'll rent a motorboat for day cruising in the Kvarner area mainly for going to smaller coves with private beaches. But it would also be great to go to a larger city (Krk town, Baska, Rab town etc.) to have lunch, walk an hour in the city or just to have an ice cream. I'm talking about 1-2 hours during daytime, definitely not overnight stay.

How does these city port berths work? Can I just go there and "park" my boat if I find an empty parking spot berth? It sounds too nice to be true. :-) If I have to pay how much is it usually, and to whom and where do I have to pay? Should I contact port authority on VHF when I enter port? What about marinas, do they have short-time berths? Where can I get more info about this for each port?

Thanks!
Tamás

Hello,

yes, city quays are normally there for rent and should you need one there shouldn't be problems of using it.

The prices vary, usually if electricity/water/shower is provided the prices are higher. Also, some of the ports calculate by the length of the ship.
pjosip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 07:37   #3

Re: Croatia - Berths in city ports - noob question

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamasr View Post
Hi,
. I'm talking about 1-2 hours during daytime, definitely not overnight stay.
That would be free in most places. Just make sure you don't leave the boat somewhere where there is regular ship line or at some place of tourist boat that would return during the day (mostly they return after 17:00).

Marinas will charge you for this.
etoimene is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Croatia, ports