Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2021, 07:17   #1

Croatia bareboat questions

Hi all,

I'm setting up a Croatia bareboat trip with some friends for June of next year and had a few questions I was hoping you could help with!

There will be 12 of us on a large Catamaran, in 6 cabins. We have the option of a Lagoon 52F or a Saba 50. Any advice on which cat would be preferred?

Right now we are scheduled for Dubrovnik -> Dubrovnik over 6 nights. Would you advise doing Split -> Dubrovnik (or the other way around) instead?

Any other general advice would also be appreciated!
Square-Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2021, 07:28   #2

Re: Croatia bareboat questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Square-Sandwich View Post
Hi all,

I'm setting up a Croatia bareboat trip with some friends for June of next year and had a few questions I was hoping you could help with!

There will be 12 of us on a large Catamaran, in 6 cabins. We have the option of a Lagoon 52F or a Saba 50. Any advice on which cat would be preferred?

Right now we are scheduled for Dubrovnik -> Dubrovnik over 6 nights. Would you advise doing Split -> Dubrovnik (or the other way around) instead?

Any other general advice would also be appreciated!
6 nights for return trip is probably nor enough. I would recomend to do one way, even then it is barely enough to see all interesting places between Split (or Trogir) and Dubrovnik. You got Trogir, Split, Hvar, Vis, Korcula, Mljet. Can visit Dubrovnik after your charter.
alex_sauvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2021, 07:52   #3

sounds like a nice trip. I am sure either boat will be fine and I would not worry about it. Are these captained boats? or will you be the cast?
dhenline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2021, 09:59   #4

We will be the cast!
Old 20-08-2021, 10:45   #5

Boat: Nautitech Open 46

Make sure someone has an ICC and a radio license They insisted on seeing it when we chartered there. Few years back.
Regards
Paul
Steel sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2021, 12:31   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel sails View Post
Make sure someone has an ICC and a radio license They insisted on seeing it when we chartered there. Few years back.
Regards
Paul
Thank you. Are you aware of whether the IPC is also accepted? I would be going through the ASA system for certification.
Old 20-08-2021, 12:33   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_sauvage View Post
6 nights for return trip is probably nor enough. I would recomend to do one way, even then it is barely enough to see all interesting places between Split (or Trogir) and Dubrovnik. You got Trogir, Split, Hvar, Vis, Korcula, Mljet. Can visit Dubrovnik after your charter.
Thank you. Just to make sure I understand, you would recommend doing either Split to Dubrovnik (or the other way around) as opposed to just leaving from Dubrovnik and circling around that area for 6 days before returning to Dubrovnik?
Old 20-08-2021, 12:47   #8

Boat: Nautitech Open 46

I would think the IPC is equivalent to ICC but I would send a copy to the Charter agency and have them confirm it in writing
Steel sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2021, 12:53   #9

Quote:
Thank you. Are you aware of whether the IPC is also accepted? I would be going through the ASA system for certification.
Reference:

https://improvesailing.com/destinati...ements-croatia

Valid Nautical Certificate of Competence

This is also known as the ICC (International Certificate of Competence) or International Certificate for Operator of Pleasure Craft.

The ICC is accepted in nearly all Mediterranean waters. There are some exceptions, but in practice, even in these countries, most charter companies will accept the ICC as sufficient proof of sailing experience.

In most countries, you can get an ICC by getting the right national boating licenses. After that, you can simply apply for an ICC with the right authorities.

VHF Radio Certificate
Besides an International Certificate of Competence, you also need a VHF Radio Certificate. This certificate simply means that you know how to use a VHF radio. Croatia accepts foreign certificates for most countries.

You can get one by successfully completing a VHF radio course. Every country issues its own courses, and you'll have to check with your national marine authorities which course to take.

List of Accepted Boat Licenses per Country
Below I'll list the ICC or equivalent licenses per country (U.K., Netherlands, Canada, United States, Germany, and Sweden).
For each country, I'll mention the issuing organization and the exact name of the license there. See reference link.

As to the United States
Organization: US Sailing Association (USSA) or American Sailing Association (ASA)
Licenses: Bareboat Chartering (ASA), Basic Cruising (USSA) or Bareboat Cruising (USSA
)

With one of these licenses, you may sail:
boats used for private purposes,
bareboat chartered boats,
yachts used for private purposes up to 30 GT,
bareboat chartered yachts up to 30 GT,
in internal waters and territorial sea of the Republic of Croatia and waters accessible from the sea.

Is the large cat that you intend to chart greater than 30 GT?

Per Wiki:

Description of the ICC
The ICC is a product of the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe Inland Water Committee (UN ECE IWC) Resolution 40 (hereafter called Resolution 40).[2] This states that the ICC may be issued by a government of one state to its nationals and residents who may be on the waters of a foreign state, on condition that both accept the requirements and conditions set out in Resolution 40.

Governments may appoint competent authorities to issue ICC on their behalf. Globally International Yacht Training Worldwide (IYT) has been delegated such authority by both Ireland and the UK, and the Royal Yachting Association (RYA)[3] and the British Sub-Aqua Club (BSAC) are both authorized by the UK.

The ICC provides documentary assurance from one government to another that the holder meets the levels of competence laid down in Resolution 40. However, the acceptance of Resolution 40 is often caveated.

Implementation of Resolution 40
The following UNECE member states have adopted Resolution 40 and thus officially accept the ICC as a proof of competence in their territories:[2]

Austria, Belarus, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Finland, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Romania, Slovakia, South Africa (not a member state), Switzerland the United Kingdom and Ukraine.

Implementation of Resolution 14
The following UNECE member states have adopted the earlier Resolution 14. Also these countries accept the ICC:[6]

France, Italy and Poland.

States that have not adopted Resolution 40

The following UNECE member states have not accepted the Resolution 40 nor the Resolution 14:

Greece, Moldova, Portugal, Spain, Russian Federation, Serbia, Sweden
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2021, 12:54   #10

Quote:
Thank you. Just to make sure I understand, you would recommend doing either Split to Dubrovnik (or the other way around) as opposed to just leaving from Dubrovnik and circling around that area for 6 days before returning to Dubrovnik?
Yes, going one way Split-Dubrovnik rather than sailing around Dubrovnik. Most of those places are closer to Split (except Mljet).
Old 08-11-2021, 19:28   #11

I have sailed the Dalmatians four times previously, and I made the mistake the first time of sailing one way from Split to Dubrovnik. It's too far, unless you just want to sail and skim the surface of the islands. A loop from the Split area or Dub are both spectacular-- get away from tourist hopping. Dub has the added advantage of being able to visit Montenegro.

I've chartered an L52 three times; it will give you more room, but it's no fun to sail. There's even a delay in the electronic linkage so no helm/rudder feel.
edsml is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 19:36   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_sauvage View Post
Yes, going one way Split-Dubrovnik rather than sailing around Dubrovnik. Most of those places are closer to Split (except Mljet).
Most of what places? touristy? The Elafiti, Cavtat, Ston, et al, are "places".

P.S. "Visiting Dubrovnik after the sail" from Split by air, land or ferry is difficult, even if the causeway bypassing the Neum Corridor is open by then. Either way, be sure to visit in the evening to avoid the overwhelming crowds.
Old 09-11-2021, 05:43   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsml View Post
Most of what places? touristy? The Elafiti, Cavtat, Ston, et al, are "places".

P.S. "Visiting Dubrovnik after the sail" from Split by air, land or ferry is difficult, even if the causeway bypassing the Neum Corridor is open by then. Either way, be sure to visit in the evening to avoid the overwhelming crowds.
There is a reason why places like Korcula, Hvar and Vis are touristy: they have something to attract people. Obviously this is OP first visit to Croatia, so I see nothing wrong with visiting "touristy" places. He can visit less known, off beaten path places in his subsequent visits. On your first trip to France, would you skip Paris because it is "touristy" and spend all you time in some village?
Old 09-11-2021, 06:46   #14

Alex: Agreed, and I would not sail from the Split area without visiting Hvar or Vis, even for the third or fourth time (as I will for three weeks in June; two 10-day one-ways). You seem to be affirming that a first-timer, especially, should focus on those popular islands instead of rushing more than 200 nm to Dubrovnik and skipping one or two. As you wrote, "most of those places are closer to Split". Korčula and Mljet, along with other great islands, are closer to Dubrovnik.

By "touristy" I wondered if that is what you meant by "those places". But yes, in Hvar town you will mostly meet other tourists, and trying to squeeze the one-way into six days likely means missing other great parts of the island such as Stari Grad (book a farm lamb roast!) or Vrboska. A Split-to-Split may mean also visiting the equally spectacular Brač.
Actually meeting Croatians, for me, is a great part of sailing.

Tags
bareboat, boat, Croatia