Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2013, 12:39   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40
Bareboat Chartering in Croatia

I would like to plan a trip to charter sailboat in Croatia for four weeks in August-September of 2014. I would appreciate any information anyone would have about charter companies, weather conditions and whether or not it's possible to sail from Dubrovnik to Zadar and back in four weeks.

Thanks!
Old 29-07-2013, 13:56   #2

Boat: Sold Sigma 33 OOD some time ago, will be chartering in Turkey really soon
Re: Bareboat chartering in Croatia

Been there last year (end September); we sailed with Sunsail (in a Flotilla from Kremik); no problems there.
Weather was nice but wind was largely absent. Most of the days there was no wind in the morning and a little in the afternoons. There was the exception to this rule; we had our two days of 25-30 knots wind and enjoyed that (not everyone shared our opinion there); we also 'enjoyed' a 60 knot thunderstorm and survived those 30 minutes of fun, wow!.

In the end we did a lot of motoring and were amazed about the extremely high cost of marina's. We did enjoy it but will not return. Booked Turkey for October this year.

We managed Murter, Vis, Trogir, Starigrad, Skradin (not in that order with stops in between) but did quite some motoring in those two weeks. Zadar Dubrovnik VV looks feasible; be prepared for motoring.
Old 02-08-2013, 21:20   #3

Can anyone add whether Sigmasailor's lack of wind is a seasonal thing? I am also looking to charter there, and I have heard that in Greece there is only one month with much wind. Can anybody answer whether that is correct, and what month would be best for Croatia?
Bullshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:37   #4

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

During the summer, winds are usually quite light during the good weather of which there are longs periods. April to June and then again September to October, winds are better for sailing with an increased chance of fresh to strong Yugo SE and strong Bura NE winds.

When the usual high pressure sets in during summer there is little wind in the morning and then the wind will usually start to fill in often from S moving round in the afternoon to NW, then overnight round to NE if there is any. As in any enclosed waters, between the islands sailing can be frustrating and 180 degree windshifts can occur. Offshore, the winds are more dependable so if you want to make a long passage take the offshore rather than the scenic inshore routes. Yugo are less frequent and Bura fairly rare in summer. Both tend to be less severe.

Our charter company reckon that sailors charter in Croatia in spring and autumn and swimmers charter in high summer.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:39   #5

The best month in my view is September to early October with warm weather, warm sea and decent breezes.
Old 03-08-2013, 18:55   #6

Thanks, Rapanui. We are fairly green, and have never sailed outside of the Caribbean and home (the U.S.). We are looking to venture out the next step and started with the idea of the Greek Islands, and have drifted towards the idea of Croatia. Looking at a week or two, bareboat.

Any advice or comments are welcome.
Bullshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:30   #7

I never answered the question re Dubrovnik - Zadar and back in 4 weeks. Its not that far but you will not be able to linger long on the way. I would allow a leeway of 3 days for bad weather. Marinas are hideously expensive, town quays less so, mooring buoys even less so and anchoring generally free except in national Parks like the Kornati and plentiful. Mooring at restaurants is usually free if you eat there. Get a copy of 777 Harbours and Anchorages which is the most comprehensive and concentrated guide to picking stop offs there is.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:59   #8

We stayed in the Kremik region from 22/9 till 6/10 and encountered the wind (lack of) as described in 2012. We've been to Greece (Lefkas, Corfu) and found similar conditions. This year we'll try out Turkey; from what I read a beautiful place with friendly people en nice food (also for vegetarians). That reminds me: Croatia is an absolute 'no no' for vegetarians.

Second the high marina prices; town cays are also quite expensive. We had a 33 ft yacht and paid in the order of 55 euro's for marina's and 40-45 euro's for town cays. Wifi was largely poor in marina's; staff don't care about this. We did have a free (and good restaurant) stay in Murter. Sometimes they even charge (10 euro's) for anchoring during lunch stops (Zirje). In my opinion those prices are simply way too high and not worth it; the main reason for not going back, that and the general 'unfriendliness' of marina staff and locals in general.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:08   #9

Boat: Gitana 43
Over the years I've chartered pretty much all over the med, lack of wind is the usual problem except for turkey, where we've had the only decent sails.
Aquarius74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 14:05   #10

Re: Bareboat Chartering in Croatia

While I agree about the cost of marinas, harbour walls and even buoys being expensive in Croatia (and very much more so for our catamaran), that is less important given the much more pleasant time to be had in anchorages and on restaurant moorings. In marinas and town harbours, its usually very hot and sometimes noisy and I for one am less inclined to swim in such spots for obvious reasons.

While I am sure that people have been charged for anchoring, I have not experienced that in 4 years so far, so would correct any impression that this is commonplace.

As to rudeness, my view is that most Croatians are very aware of their dependence on tourism and yachts and most perceived shortcomings are down to being blase about the large number of boats they deal with, the quality of seamanship and lack of courtesy from some skippers and crew they meet. Certainly, they are far friendlier than those I have met in 30+ years cruising the British and French coasts
Old 04-08-2013, 14:16   #11

Is the charter company requiring an ICC?
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 00:03   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Is the charter company requiring an ICC?
Yes, when we chartered with Sunsail last year an ICC was mandatory. The Croatian law requires this so I was told.
First time for us; a good opportunity to get this piece of paper (after sailing without it for over 40 years). Don't know about the rest of the wold but the Dutch version of the (international) ICC can be obtained learning some theory only.
Old 05-08-2013, 14:07   #13

Apart from the charter company requirements, if you get stopped for a routine check by the Police or Customs then they can go through your documentation very thoroughly (ICC or equivalent, marine VHF licence, crew list and crew passports, ships papers. Never been stopped near Split but twice now near Slano in the south near Dubrovnik. Unsurprising I suppose as you are near the border with Bosnia.
Old 05-08-2013, 17:43   #14

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40

Thanks to everyone for the great information. It is very helpful and look forward to anything anyone else can add. Anyone want to recommend a charter company?
Old 13-11-2013, 01:38   #15
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyeska View Post
Thanks to everyone for the great information. It is very helpful and look forward to anything anyone else can add. Anyone want to recommend a charter company?
Hello, I have been sailing for years now around croatia and love it. I always charter a bareboat with the skipper I have and now know for years now. www.like2sail.com is the charter agency. Yes, you can sail in 4 weeks from Dubrovnik to Zadar + stopping on your way and back. Anyway, you can contact him (Marko is his name) and he will give you all info needed...
Katarina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bareboat, charter, Croatia, croatia