Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2020, 21:18   #1

Corsica, Liguria or Amalfi coast

Please, help me choose. Planning to charter a boat for a week in June or July. Trying to find the most interesting destination. Corsica, Liguria or Amalfi coast? Or, perhaps, something else? I have sailed in Croatia and Lipari Islands (Sicily).

Nice towns are good but the main idea is sailing.

Liguria has the best boats to offer for very good prices but I read somewhere that winds there are very light, is it true? I don't want to motor the whole week.
Anjulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2020, 16:47   #2

Re: Corsica, Liguria or Amalfi coast

Depends on when you're going. Winds in the Med. aren't great in the summer. We enjoyed Amalfi but it wasn't exactly boater friendly. https://www.sailmagazine.com/charter...n-amalfi-coast
Imkalaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 01:11   #3

Boat: Bavaria 35E

We went on a charter around the Amalfi coast and adjacent islands starting and returning to Procida (off Naples). It was early October, so the wind was good. Some rain hampered us a bit. Capri was less crowded at that time. The staff at the marinas are great. They will meet the boat on a dinghy as you approach, jump aboard and pilot you right into a spot. All the towns are wonderful to visit. We rented through Sail Italia which is the local agent for Moorings/Sunsail. The boat was not as new as described and had quite a few issues. It's prompted me to never charter a Moorings/Sunsail vessel again after several bad experiences. Find another outfit in the area, for sure.
nightowle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 02:23   #4

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

“I don't want to motor the whole week.”
Since you plan 1 week in june/july there is no correct answer to your question. The wind can be OK for your chosen week in ANY of the mentioned areas, but more probably there will not be enough wind in these areas in that period. Nobody knows so just pick the area that is of most interest to you and cope with the wind that will be present. Otherwise select another area of the med.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 02:59   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjulis View Post
Please, help me choose. Planning to charter a boat for a week in June or July. Trying to find the most interesting destination. Corsica, Liguria or Amalfi coast? Or, perhaps, something else? I have sailed in Croatia and Lipari Islands (Sicily).

Nice towns are good but the main idea is sailing.

Liguria has the best boats to offer for very good prices but I read somewhere that winds there are very light, is it true? I don't want to motor the whole week.
Perhaps the island of Elba The island and the mainland provide some short trips

In Sardinia the area La Maddalena provides fantastic sailing . Schedule your trip around on of the megayacht regattas and you will see some magnificent sailing yachts in action

Be careful with Italy . Italian love the water . In summer the place is very very busy . Crazy busy
slug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Corsica