Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2016, 04:36   #31

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS
Re: Buying a boat in the Med

As a non-EU person with a boat in the Med, I believe your plan is certainly doable. There are plenty of boats about that size--don't rule types out until you've seen them & know it isn't for you.

Schengen shouldn't be an issue if you're 3 in; 3 out. VAT is the issue to concern yourself with. Buy a VAT-paid boat if at all possible or be prepared to deal with the rigamarole of either getting the boat out of the EU every 18 months or sealing her every time you leave & unsealing her upon your return.

Good luck!
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 04:58   #32

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake_NZ View Post
Thank you for the advice.
Do you know of address for the the Spanish/French Italian websites you mentioned?
Barcos de ocasión, alquiler de barcos y amarres - Cosas De Barcos
Yacht e barche usate in vendita, Annunci Yacht Usati, cerco barche ed Yacht usati in vendita
Bateau d'occasion - voiliers d'occasion : annonces de l'Argus du Bateau
Voilier d'occasion - Toutes les annonces voilier
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 05:57   #33

Boat: Wauquiez 43 PS

Hi Blake
We bought our Wauquiez 43 PS in Spain, but looked at others in Greece and Italy.
The key lesson we learnt from a big disappointment in Greece is to get a surveyor that speaks good English. He / she should be a registered ships surveyor. If the owner speaks English that is a massive plus point as well.
We opted for the Wauquiez because of the build quality and the fact that we will be making our way to NZ from the UK in due course.

Another point is to have a comprehensive survey done, but do not rely on the surveyor to pick up all the faults. This is unlikely, so if you think something does not look right, you will 99% of the time be correct, so do not be shy of raising your concerns despite being in the presence of other more "experienced" people.

Next is the age of the vessel. Ours was 13 years old; just at the point that things either need to be updated, or corrosion has set in and things need to be replaced. Key items will include the standing rigging. However, on saying that most things can be defined as essential and the list goes on. So if you can get a yacht that is about 3 -5 years old, then it should have got through all the snags, and the equipment should be well and truly bedded down. The engine should also have low running hours. This all depends on how much use the yacht has had. An engine showing more than 200 - 250 hours per year has been used a lot, (ours averaged 100 hours per year and the engine is in good condition) and you should then look at the service history (look in any case)

Check the through hull fittings; they be bronze or DZR (or possibly Marelon). Do not settle for brass or anything else.

Last point; always ask the owner if the yacht has been damaged or been in an accident of any sort, and record the answer.

Good luck
SJFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 06:40   #34
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Thanks everyone for all the the advice and info so far.

For what it's worth, I also have a UK passport which should make things a bit simpler as far as staying in the EU goes.

It sounds as though I would be best to register the boat in the UK or NZ to avoid paying VAT. Will this mean I still need to hop out of the EU every 18 months? If so, i can't see it being too much of a problem

It's will be best to register NZ, and also use your NZ passport for travels. Using your uk passport will give customs officers cause to follow up vat status on the yacht. In some cases they may impound the yacht and demand vat payment.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 06:40   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprice View Post
I might be wrong, but as I understand things, if an EU passport holder owns a non VAT paid boat in EU area you have 30 days to pay the VAT!!
It's your residence, not passport that determines whether you are liable for VAT.
Old 23-01-2016, 07:50   #36

Boat: Malo 39

Having just bought a boat in Turkey (as Brit living abraod) I can share the following
- Marmaris/Bodrum area has plenty of brokers and plenty of yachts for sale. I bought mine through Typhoon yachting, a small broker but very very helpful.
-Marmaris Yacht Marina has excellent service and most work can be done and Marmaris has plenty of suppliers
- Turkish crusing log and paperwork can be a burden, but probably the same in most places
- there is a lot of confusion around VAT. Check out the RYA website for details. I strongly advise buying one with clear proof that VAT has been paid to avoid future issues. Although if you do not plan staying in any EU country for any length of time you may be able to get around this. Personally I don't think it is worth the risk as the EU tax authorities are only likely to get stricter on this.
- I went for UK registration Part 1. It will take 6 month though and you have to be very thorough with the paperwork.

Good luck.
Martin S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 10:54   #37

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 40

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. Ideally I would like to take the boat to the Carib, but that would be 2 or 3 years down the line. I have thought about where in the med is still reasonable in the off season (not mid winter) and yeah, the Balearics also came to mind
Hello,
The Balearics are great to sail during the season but, for me, they would be one of the last choices to spend the winter. The main coast of Spain is less than 100 nm away and you pay almost 1/3 for the mooring. Marina Juan Carlos in Valencia is very cosmopolite but my favourite is Burriananova where I left my boat for the winter in 2010 and 2013.
Regards, Vladis
Vladis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 11:02   #38

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
It's your residence, not passport that determines whether you are liable for VAT.
I disagree Hoppy. For non-EU residents, you, your residence, & your passport don't matter. If the boat is going to remain in EU waters for > 18 months, it must be VAT paid.

I agree with Vladis though. The Balearics are an expensive place to leave the boat. It's one thing to be there, enjoying the surroundings & paying the price. But to leave the boat for an extended period while you're back in NZ, there are much cheaper places on the mainland.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2016, 11:09   #39
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Buying a boat in the Med

If your having her lifted go to Almerimar.. cheapest marina I know in the Med..
If staying aboard Cartagena is great..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 02:36   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Chicken View Post
I disagree Hoppy. For non-EU residents, you, your residence, & your passport don't matter. If the boat is going to remain in EU waters for > 18 months, it must be VAT paid.
So you agree with me.... I just didn't mention the 18 month rule.

Patprice's was saying that that an EU passport made the owner liable for VAT regardless of their residence. I was disagreeing with this, which is what you are also doing
Old 24-01-2016, 03:07   #41
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Buying a boat in the Med

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
So you agree with me.... I just didn't mention the 18 month rule.

Patprice's was saying that that an EU passport made the owner liable for VAT regardless of their residence. I was disagreeing with this, which is what you are also doing
VAT no.. but be careful you do not get nailed for National taxes if you loiter..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 02:48   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJFK View Post
Hi Blake
We bought our Wauquiez 43 PS in Spain, but looked at others in Greece and Italy.
The key lesson we learnt from a big disappointment in Greece is to get a surveyor that speaks good English. He / she should be a registered ships surveyor. If the owner speaks English that is a massive plus point as well.
We opted for the Wauquiez because of the build quality and the fact that we will be making our way to NZ from the UK in due course.

Another point is to have a comprehensive survey done, but do not rely on the surveyor to pick up all the faults. This is unlikely, so if you think something does not look right, you will 99% of the time be correct, so do not be shy of raising your concerns despite being in the presence of other more "experienced" people.

Next is the age of the vessel. Ours was 13 years old; just at the point that things either need to be updated, or corrosion has set in and things need to be replaced. Key items will include the standing rigging. However, on saying that most things can be defined as essential and the list goes on. So if you can get a yacht that is about 3 -5 years old, then it should have got through all the snags, and the equipment should be well and truly bedded down. The engine should also have low running hours. This all depends on how much use the yacht has had. An engine showing more than 200 - 250 hours per year has been used a lot, (ours averaged 100 hours per year and the engine is in good condition) and you should then look at the service history (look in any case)

Check the through hull fittings; they be bronze or DZR (or possibly Marelon). Do not settle for brass or anything else.

Last point; always ask the owner if the yacht has been damaged or been in an accident of any sort, and record the answer.

Good luck
Thanks. Great advice!
Blake_NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 02:50   #43

Thanks again everyone.
Great to hear everyones suggestions/advice, especially regarding VAT etc
Blake
Blake_NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2016, 04:05   #44

Boat: Cranchi Atlantique 48

Here is one more vote for buying in Spain. It's straightforward, with a huge choice of boats... people speak English, and there are some good British surveyors living there, available to assist. I'm just going through the process myself.

Sent from my SM-T805 using Tapatalk
Zven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 02:00   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
What boaty said ✌️
Other options for leaving the EU every 18 months are Montenegro, Tunisia and Morocco, depending on where is nearby
and Albania - we are kiwis heading straight there in June from Preveza to reset the VAT clock

ange
AngeW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying