Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2010, 11:43   #1

Boat: 36' solaris sunrise catamaran
Almerimar and Mar Menor, Spain

Currently at Almerimar on the Costa del Sol, but it appears Mar Menor (just past Cartagena) is a popular stopover/summer destination. You can anchor for free and apparently it is close to two airports to the UK which makes it popular with those who want to go to the UK. We have been told it is a good place to shelter in strong winds.

At Almerimar - most of the winter liveaboards have left and now there are lots of visiting yachts coming into the marina. Good marina prices (on the low side), a good supermarket (Mercadona), laundrettes, pharmacy etc and plenty of bars and restaurants - well worth a visit. There is an VHF net on Channel 67 at 1000 hrs to find out all you need to know about Almerimar and the surrounding area and an active social life with the yachties and flatties (people who live in apartments).
rivonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2010, 18:59   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Almerimar must have changed a lot from when I was there in 97... I stayed there a month and then moved round the corner to Agua Dulce which was much nicer and a 15 minute bus journey from Almeria and there was a coach to the airport... it was so nice I wintered there two years running...
Most cruising folks I know who stayed in Mar Menor hated it... water full of 'Jellies' and mozzies galore...
We used to head for Torrevieja a tad further on to anchor up...
I have heard they've put a stop to that a few years back... shame.. it was a good place to anchor up for a few weeks... the marina owners must have done some 'arm twisting'...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2010, 15:55   #3

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
We've stopped to fuel at Almerimar and slid by Mar Menor a few times. The first gave the same impressions as lots of E Spanish marinas - not cheap but buzzy summer months with lots of ex pats - but the few pals who went into Mar Menor did not find it ideal.
Some for the reasons given by boatman61 but others saying the shallow water can kick up some in stiff breezes and not make it an ideal anchorage.
All IMHO of course
JOHN
Old 19-08-2010, 10:11   #4

Boat: Lagoon 380
It is again allowed to anchor in Torrevieja, but the harbour is smaller by two new marinas (one not opened yet).

Aguadulce is a bit run-down.
katja&david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2010, 18:09   #5

Boat: Southern Cross 31
Hi,

I'm from Spain, I arrived in Almerimar a couple of weeks ago and the boat is going to be here for a while. Is anyone of you guys still here?
leveche420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2010, 09:47   #6

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Sorry - not me.

Tags
Spain