Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2020, 11:44   #1

Vaccine Certification Restriction of Travel

I have no plans to risk my life with an untested vaccine but it seems like the powers that be will give us a choice (a) take the vaccine, get a certification card and travel wherever you like (b) don't take the vaccine and you can't leave your country. It is an assumption that the covid PCR tests/isolation periods will be phased out putting more pressure on taking the vaccine.

This is without looking at the deaths, palsy and other vaccine side effects so far and not considering the views that there's a global strategy of de-population.

I want to buy a boat. I refuse to take an untested, possibly dangerous vaccine.

For liveaboards and world cruisers, does anyone share my concerns, or are they groundless?
Old 18-12-2020, 11:59   #2

Re: Vaccine Certification Restriction of Travel

I am none of the above but I share.
Old 18-12-2020, 12:15   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Good luck! I think nice their is significant herd immunity say 2-3 years won’t be much of an issue.
Old 18-12-2020, 12:22   #4

I have no problem with taking the vaccine nor with other countries refusing entry to people who won’t get the vaccine, but I base my opinions on science, not conspiracy theory.

Of course, I’m also tired of burying family members because of Covid, so that could figure in.
Old 18-12-2020, 12:29   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

Sure, there is a risk to taking any vaccine. There is a risk to NOT taking it also. There is a risk to you and a risk to those around you of either decision. You have to assess those risks as objectively as possible to make a good decision. Getting accurate information is key. Calling the COVID-19 vaccine "untested" is inaccurate. Information on testing is readily available to everyone with internet access.

But you may need to look for that testing information in places other than sites that also promote the notion of a "global strategy of de-population".
Old 18-12-2020, 12:44   #6

Boat: Lagoon 37 TPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1991 View Post
I have no plans to risk my life with an untested vaccine \..,,,,,,,,,,,

Dang it, now I'll have to warn my wife that they're going to recall all of her paychecks since she's an MD working on 4 of the Phase III trials.
Old 18-12-2020, 13:29   #7

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

As humans we are certainly entitled to our own thought and opinion.

The vaccines being delivered for COVID-19 have and will continue to be extensively tested. I work in the pharma industry on the technology side of things. My company platform has run the big Moderna trial. It is completely above board.

The doctors and scientists involved are extremely dedicated and without doubt these vaccines have been extensively tested! It was supercharged in terms of timeline because that is what the world needed. This herculean effort is on par with sending man to the moon in less than a decade.

Nothing in life is perfect and 100% gauranteed. Not taking this vaccine would be the single most shortsighted decision that any person could ever make.

Having said that - I will be getting it as soon as I am eligible. I support the requirement that the vaccine is needed to travel and cross borders and I will limit my exposure to those who have not gotten the vaccine .
Old 18-12-2020, 13:47   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

Thanks, GreenWave!

Cooper1991: Buying a boat and preparing it for international travel will take awhile. One strategy to consider is doing all that while waiting for the international travel requirements to become clear.

Based on my own review of information on vaccine testing and considering the risks, more to family and friends than to myself, I will be getting it.
Old 18-12-2020, 14:06   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1991 View Post
I have no plans to risk my life with an untested vaccine ...
.... I refuse to take an untested, possibly dangerous vaccine.
... does anyone share my concerns, or are they groundless?
Fortunately for you, the only vaccines offered have been tested (safe & effective).

Yes, your concerns are (mostly) groundless.

Old 18-12-2020, 14:11   #10

Boat: Cape Dory 31

I will get the shot as soon as it is available to me. I’m still having fun spending my children’s inheritance......
Old 18-12-2020, 14:24   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
As humans we are certainly entitled to our own thought and opinion.
--snip--
I'm not sure that I agree with that concept anymore, though I've also read (and not verified, to be pedantic) that the original "you're entitled to your own opinion" either explicitly stated or implied that one was entitled to one's informed opinion.

Which probably relates pretty well with the modern version of being entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts.

Unfortunately, we live in a world where lies are widely and rapidly distributed and there are all too many people who find it easier to believe in false truths than cold, hard reality.

I'm perpetually amused by people who rail about the science of vaccines, but freely accept the products of science in infinite other cases. I'm not sure what to chalk that up to.

A guy I know died of pancreatic cancer years ago. It was a terminal diagnosis pretty much from the get go and he survived far longer than anyone expected, sense of humor intact to the end. Observed to his hospice team that they've been doing this a long time but he's only died once. (Hospice people are extraordinary.)

He had a number of friends and family who would regularly pepper him with absurdities. Cures based on pomegranate juice, lemon, crystals, teas....

A year before he died, he observed "When people say to look at this or that cure on the internet, I am reminded of Steve Jobs. Surely he knew about the internet."

And yet people believe endless things that make no sense.
Old 18-12-2020, 14:30   #12

Reading the responses to the OP gives me hope.
Old 18-12-2020, 14:46   #13

Boat: Outremer 50S

I'll likely be taking an mRNA-based vaccine when it is available, but, to the OP's point, it is disingenuous to say that any of them have been "tested". They have been tested as to short-term immune response efficacy and acute reactions. If they had been fully "tested" there would be no need for "emergency" use authorizations, a fully tested vaccine wouldn't need the fast track.

Neither the vaccines, the disease itself, nor the mRNA technology have been around long enough to have tested, or even modeled, any long term effects in humans (positive or negative, including even long-term efficacy in generating the desired immune response). Unfortunately, the same can be said for the disease itself. Any claim that the vaccines have been "tested" must be followed by an asterisk.

Based on the reports/estimates I suspect that the potential long-term effects, and the probability of them, for a case of SARS-Cov-2 far outweigh the potential for, and probability of, chronic problems arising from mRNA-based Covid vaccines. That's my personal opinion from reading the available information. But the science is far from settled and it would be good to remember that.
Old 18-12-2020, 15:17   #14

The concept of a vaccine "passport" relies on the vaccine to prevent the spread of the disease. Currently the vaccines have only been shown to reduce the severity of illness for those who contract covid-19.

It remains to be seen whether the vaccines will actually sterilize one of the infection, one could still be a carrier. A certificate would be worthless with the information known at this time.

The ability to do quick, accurate tests on arrival would be more valuable to locales that want to allow tourists/travelers.

This was done in many countries for the 2500 people who traveled with the Formula 1 racing teams and less than a handful were found to be infected. The entire group had only to quarantine in hotel 1 night while their tests were processed.
Old 18-12-2020, 15:28   #15

Boat: Outremer 50S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinarius View Post
The concept of a vaccine "passport"...
The "passport" has been around for decades, it's called the International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis, colloquially known as the "yellow card."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinarius View Post
...Currently the vaccines have only been shown to reduce the severity of illness for those who contract covid-19....
Say what? The Moderna vaccine has been shown to reduce severity in those who get SARS-Cov-2 after vaccination, but it had a prevention efficacy of 94.5%. The Pfizer vaccine shows prevention efficacy of 95% but no measurable effects on disease severity among those who get the disease after vaccination.

Tags
certification