Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2021, 17:46   #1006

Re: Vaccine Certification Restriction of Travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Holy Carp, what the heck happened to this thread in the last day.

There's a new and more contagious strain of going around. No vaccine, unfortunately.
Old 04-01-2021, 17:49   #1007

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

Just got my second dose of the vaccine. I have had no side effects from the first dose. No pain upon injection with the second dose. Very little discomfort later in the day, today. I can finally breathe a sigh of relief.

Once again, thanks to the scientists who have made this possible, specifically Katalin Kariko, who dedicated her entire life to developing this form of therapy at great personal cost, and to Pfizer for their commitment to research and development. Thanks also to members of our forum, like Eigenvector and his wife, for the work she has done to bring this vaccine to life.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jNyUqarnmwWJJdqn6

It's a great day!!!!!!

Warmest regards,
Ben
Old 04-01-2021, 17:49   #1008
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up Helly Aa View Post
I think you should get in the first WuFlu vaccine line you can find. I think you can use a gene altering vaccine...
Iím right up there with my sleeve rolled up , my brother is a microbiologist with Phizer
Old 04-01-2021, 17:54   #1009

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensolomon View Post
Just got my second dose of the vaccine. I have had no side effects from the first dose. No pain upon injection with the second dose. Very little discomfort later in the day, today. I can finally breathe a sigh of relief.

Once again, thanks to the scientists who have made this possible, specifically Katalin Kariko, who dedicated her entire life to developing this form of therapy at great personal cost, and to Pfizer for their commitment to research and development. Thanks also to members of our forum, like Eigenvector and his wife, for the work she has done to bring this vaccine to life.

It's a great day!!!!!!

Warmest regards,
Ben
so good to hear
I am still waiting for mine
Old 04-01-2021, 17:54   #1010

Boat: Other people's boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBsurfin View Post
In this article it speaks about the lack of total testing and what they were attempting to accomplish in such short testing period. There are many unknown, unknowns.. Just because someone raises question to the vaccine, doesn't mean they are wrong. Science SHOULD be questioned, especially when such short, focused studies have been done.
There's a difference between caution, questions, and simply spinning yarns. An individual paper may be considered pivotal, even monumental, but even those must provide a cohesive explanation and be consistent with the gathered evidence. This can be often lost on the casual viewer, taught to see papers as precious gems to be individually collected and polished, rather than plain, often imperfect bricks that in the aggregate form a solid foundation.

It seems common to have somewhat careless restatements, that with a slip of diction transform accuracy to error. Precision matters, and if it's not respected can lead to false conclusions. An example from upthread:
Quote:
WHO is currently saying that taking the vaccine will NOT prevent you from getting Covid nor spreading it.
VAERS database has around 500 adverse reactions listed now including anaphylactic shock.
This a strong statement, presumably based on fact, yet is entirely meaningless or even misleading without knowing the broader context. Knowing something won't do something is very different from not yet knowing if something will or won't do something.

Would that represent 500 cases of mild fever and 2 cases of shock, or is it the other way around? What is the total population it represents? Are we talking the results from ten thousand people, or ten million? I can say I found a study showing that 3% of dental extractions resulted in fatalities, but that would be similarly fear-mongering.*

We are asked to discard the accumulated knowledge of centuries, painfully built up, torn down, and rebuilt to accommodate new evidence, in favor of talk show personalities and politicians, all who derive fame and fortune from generating controversy? Cui bono indeed.

Questioning is perfectly reasonable when it comes from a base of reason rather than rumor. Unfortunately for every valid question there is a Gish Gallop of fever dreams. Do people think there is no cost to large pharma companies to restructure their operations and clinical trials to accommodate such a pandemic? Or that exploitation of such a pandemic somehow would gain even greater profit? Are smaller labs are happy when they can't obtain needed supplies because they've been diverted to hospitals in greater need?

What of Moderna? I've been hearing the name for some years now; they started phase 1 trials for their mRNA vaccine for Zika four years back. (They reported results from that trial, and for a number of others using this technology.) Their pre-clinical work started long before that, and they are hardly the only player on the field.

* The context in this case was extractions performed a month prior to cardiac surgery.
Old 04-01-2021, 17:56   #1011

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

I'm in awe of the intelligence and dedication of scientists like him as well as their selflessness to discover new therapies in relative obscurity.

So thankful!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Iím right up there with my sleeve rolled up , my brother is a microbiologist with Phizer
Old 04-01-2021, 18:07   #1012
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensolomon View Post

It's a great day!!!!!!

Warmest regards,
Ben
Kariko and Weismann surely must deserve a Nobel. She doggedly for years plugged away on the fundamental problem with messenger RNA. Her story is worth a movie.

Kudos to Phizer , who is shouldering all the cost up front

We should also see a huge increase in vaccines for various cancers , aids etc out of all this. It could be really transformative

Tags
certification