Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Lithium Power Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2021, 18:37   #16

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter
Re: There are two types of Lithium Batteries, A new type is here. Better yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
It’s actually cobalt which is likely to be the constraint.
In the short term that is true. But there is a lot of work happening on removing cobalt from the cathodes, in many research facilities around the world. Tesla and Panasonic are committed to removing cobalt, or reducing it to a minimum. I do not think cobalt will be a long term issue. Changing from lithium is a much larger project, but is necessary due to the sheer size of the battery market, and for that lithium itself will be a problem.

Greg
CarinaPDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2021, 19:10   #17

Boat: Tayana 42, sloop, 42

So far, we know more about the future than I would have ever imagined saying something over a Cruisers Forum.
From the net, saying "The 4680 refers to the battery's dimensions: 46 millimeters (1.6 inches) wide by 80 mm (3.1 in) tall. Tesla claims that there will be a 100-fold increase in battery production by 2030 thanks to the new battery type, and that the new cell design produces six times the power of current cells".
With this industry blossoming, we may experience innovative strides for boating.
To get a view of progress in boating, refer to 'Greenline Yachts', and their brochure. They have a great pdf presentation of their progress, very interesting and they offer their Hybrid boats presently.
Popcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2021, 08:38   #18

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

We have LiFePo4's. At one point I heard the original Lithium Ion Polymers (lithium manganese oxide or lithium cobalt dioxide) had fire issues therefore, I went with the LiFePo4's. We purchased 3.2 volt cells from China that are 280AH. We have the blue ones. My dock mate told me the older Lithium Ion Polymers were uninsurable, I don't know.

Remember, there is no bad question. Thanks for asking.

There is quite a learning curve using the Lifepo4's. I frequently watched Will Prowse on youtube to get info. I have made alot of mistakes but now have a good setup of LifePo4's, chargers, and solar.
If I had to do it again, I would have purchased a simple set maybe 100AH ($300) and then discharged and charged (with proper inverter and chargers) many times to fine tune the system on a bench then scale it up. They will take alot of current (amps) when charging. You could use a good multi meter with a clamp on AC/DC ammeter. I like the plug in Watt/hr meter to help with capacity. You could also accustom yourself with cell balancing (all cells are the same voltage). The cells will need a battery monitoring system to make sure the cells are charging to the same voltage. Also, I use an active balancer (using capacitors) to balance the cells in service.
It is learning curve, take your time. Don't get discouraged.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2021, 10:29   #19

Boat: SeaClipper 38 Tri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcorn View Post
For the geeks of Ion batteries, we non-geeks now know, and appreciate being late than never.

Popcorn,

Thanks so much for this lucid summary for us old goats. I am dumb enough to wait and learn from others spending their money and making their mistakes.

Kinda reminds me of when my (then) 14-year-old daughter told me a was a "total fashion disaster"!

I knew I was in the right place!

Cheers, RR.
Old 21-12-2021, 01:45   #20

Boat: Tayana 42, sloop, 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingchiro View Post
We have LiFePo4's. At one point I heard the original Lithium Ion Polymers (lithium manganese oxide or lithium cobalt dioxide) had fire issues therefore, I went with the LiFePo4's. We purchased 3.2 volt cells from China that are 280AH. We have the blue ones. My dock mate told me the older Lithium Ion Polymers were uninsurable, I don't know.

Remember, there is no bad question. Thanks for asking.

There is quite a learning curve using the Lifepo4's. I frequently watched Will Prowse on youtube to get info. I have made alot of mistakes but now have a good setup of LifePo4's, chargers, and solar.
If I had to do it again, I would have purchased a simple set maybe 100AH ($300) and then discharged and charged (with proper inverter and chargers) many times to fine tune the system on a bench then scale it up. They will take alot of current (amps) when charging. You could use a good multi meter with a clamp on AC/DC ammeter. I like the plug in Watt/hr meter to help with capacity. You could also accustom yourself with cell balancing (all cells are the same voltage). The cells will need a battery monitoring system to make sure the cells are charging to the same voltage. Also, I use an active balancer (using capacitors) to balance the cells in service.
It is learning curve, take your time. Don't get discouraged.
Thanks, well I guess I will have to get my scratch pad out and list the items to do a good job.
There are several questions that now have spung up.
Do you have to set up a bench test to, as you mentioned, fine tune the system. What equipment to tune this set of Lifepo4 batteries are you using and cell balancing (active balancing) do you need to use?
Capacitors, on each cell, it seems out of my area, but I guess I'll have to have someone (electrician maybe) install them.
I just put my AGM's in and that was it, replacing the last ones. I didn't balance anything.
I am usually one to screw up electrical things, connecting wires and burning the evidence and sad but true, loose money in the end.
I guess I'm nervous about this program, and will wait a while until it becomes more simple.
I'm happy to hear you are happy with the set up. I'm puzzled by the pre-cautionary measures and extra equipment necessary to keep something as should be a battery that many are changing to.
Take care. the learning curve is longer than I think. But I guess it will be worth it when the prices of them go down.
Thanks for the information.
Popcorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, lithium