Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2023, 15:55   #31
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: LFP maintaining during low load

Those results suck
Old 30-05-2023, 15:58   #32

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Those results suck
I’m pretty indifferent to them. I don’t think they are good or bad.

I think I just left the inverter connected and it had a ghost or phantom load.

I don’t think the outback has one of those, does it?
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2023, 16:18   #33

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

One of the boats I deliver was left at the dock with no charging sources for 18 months. The parasitic loads brought 2 of the 3 batteries down to the LVC, while the third went to the low low cutoff. Its a Mastervolt system and it was a real PITA to get the third battery back on line, but a recent report says all three are happy. The boat manager is now checking things every month.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2023, 16:55   #34

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Today is an example the problem with this whole thread thinking, it is overcast. If it went on a few days while I was gone starting at 60% SOC would be an issue.
As most of you know, California got alot of rain this year. As luck would have it, I was out of town for 2 weeks during this time and unable to check on my boat, which I normally do once or twice a week. I do not have a shore charger, only solar. I had my charge voltage set to 13.3 ish, I don't exactly remember what. I got back to find the battery at LVD. Interestingly, it got enough sun each day to run the bilge pump if necessary (it usually is after a few days of rain) and to keep the refrigerator cold. There was something over 20 LVEs recorded in the BMS. It took about 10 days of rain before the first disconnect.

The battery is still fine, still has more than labeled capacity. It doesn't hurt the battery to run it down to LVC if cut-off voltage is set correctly. Nonetheless, I don't have the charge voltage set so low anymore. I now charge(while in "storage") to 13.8V, with no absorption time. I am no longer in the tropics, so heat isn't much a factor, and 13.8V is not quite 100%, and certainly not in the voltage range where life would be significantly affected. I have some systems running on the boat, so even in "storage" I use about 30Ah per 24hrs. So, it is also cycling a bit, and not staying at 13.8V.
Old 31-05-2023, 03:38   #35
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

When you are gone, there is no draw so 60% SOC is fine for at least a year or two.

Yes, disconnect the battery. Know the phantom load from the BMS… if you can’t shut it off.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2023, 03:46   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
When you are gone, there is no draw so 60% SOC is fine for at least a year or two.

Yes, disconnect the battery. Know the phantom load from the BMS… if you can’t shut it off.

What would be a good way to shut a BMS off, we don't want to start undoing things but would pulling a blade fuse work? For example on the negative sense wire, or put a switch on this wire?

I seem to remember I started a thread on this a while back but there was not a very good response.
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2023, 03:48   #37

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
What would be a good way to shut a BMS off, we don't want to start undoing things but would pulling a blade fuse work? For example on the negative sense wire, or put a switch on this wire?

I seem to remember I started a thread on this a while back but there was not a very good response.

What does the manual for your BMS say?

Our external BMS has an on/off button on the unit and to completely remove power we can pull the fuses on its positive voltage sense wires.
fxykty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2023, 03:54   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
What does the manual for your BMS say?

Our external BMS has an on/off button on the unit and to completely remove power we can pull the fuses on its positive voltage sense wires.

I'm not sure, but probably does not mention this as the bluetooth on button or charging the battery activates the BMS from sleep mode.

I imagine that we do not want to remove 4 , 8 , 16 fuses, times however many batteries we have.

But for my BMS disconnecting the black negative sense wire should deactivate it. Of course I have not tried this and somehow someone else here must have considered this in the past?
Old 31-05-2023, 04:47   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Pull the balance leads plug out… or the fuses

Old 31-05-2023, 05:01   #40

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
I'm not sure, but probably does not mention this as the bluetooth on button or charging the battery activates the BMS from sleep mode.

I imagine that we do not want to remove 4 , 8 , 16 fuses, times however many batteries we have.

But for my BMS disconnecting the black negative sense wire should deactivate it. Of course I have not tried this and somehow someone else here must have considered this in the past?
You could always install a switch.

If this is a custom battery in a custom enclosure and you have a battery disconnect switch you could use a double pole switch with a secondary low amperage contact for disconnecting the BMS power as well. Now the cells are just isolated cells in a box.

Blue Sea makes a battery switch with alternator field disconnect (9004) which would work. Connect battery to primary lugs and the bms power through the secondary contacts (F1 & F2).

Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 04:00   #41

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:

if your install is correct just pull your main battery bank fuse and BMS should be off as well.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 04:03   #42

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:

well you should have one main battery bank fuse that disconnects all your batteries (paralled or in series) where they are connected together.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 08:27   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
if your install is correct just pull your main battery bank fuse and BMS should be off as well.
The balance leads are not after the main fuse, they are from each individual cell.

Old 04-06-2023, 13:30   #44

LFP maintaining during low load

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
The balance leads are not after the main fuse, they are from each individual cell.

Yes, why do we always get so much confusion, I mean, isn’t this obvious that the balance leads are in no way connected to the concept of a main fuse for the battery…as long as we keep having to defend at these levels…..dear oh dear!
Old 04-06-2023, 13:38   #45
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Yes, why do we always get so much confusion, I mean, isn’t this obvious that the balance leads are in no way connected to the concept of a main fuse for the battery…as long as we keep having to defend at these levels…..dear oh dear!
As the OP I wouldn't worry. Only people still posting are reading this by now in order to wage their private battle. This stuff isn't on topic at all.

Tags
loa