Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2023, 05:45   #16
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: LFP Balancing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronkrak View Post
And how do you know that the cells will end up balanced?
I don't. Does it even matter is the topic.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2023, 05:47   #17
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Facts. Matter. First three paragraphs you wrote in this thread you claim LFP and LA react the same to a charge cycle to stay balanced, or at least you assume so.

Edit: ah you’re probably trolling me, that’s cool, hope you enjoyed it ;-)
Not trolling you just hoping you move along to some other thread needing your help
Old 21-02-2023, 06:16   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronkrak View Post
And how do you know that the cells will end up balanced?
Well because the blue tooth app shows the BMS doing its magic and once fully charged and charging stops the voltage will drop to just under 3.4v per cell and the difference in mV hopefully single digits.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2023, 06:48   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Well because the blue tooth app shows the BSM doing its magic and once fully charged and charging stops the voltage will drop to just under 3.4v per cell and the difference in mV hopefully single digits.
Lucky you but does the OP has the possibility to monitor that “magic" in motion?
Baronkrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2023, 06:52   #20

Boat: X442

So there is me thinking, "hhmmm, would be cool to have something like LifePo4, whatever, technology as opposed to this weird Gel stuff which at 70% soc apparently kicks the bucket?? So much for the 120Ah rating on the stupid battery" and then I come across a discussion like this one and my thinking changes to "hhmmm do I need to be on some kind of drug/medication to understand what's going on here?".
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2023, 07:06   #21
CLOD

and then I come across a discussion like this one and my thinking changes to "hhmmm do I need to be on some kind of drug/medication to understand what's going on here?".[/QUOTE]

you don't if your haven't been taking in order to understand your gel batteries

most of the meds needed is if you read too much into the threads. The question in this thread is easy really and probably mostly just be ignored
Old 21-02-2023, 09:38   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

I wouldn't worry about the batteries. You have a decent sized bank, just use it.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2023, 20:36   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I don't. Does it even matter is the topic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
A bank is only good as its weakest cell and if not balanced that weak cell gets more stress then all other and get even weaker faster.
It depends.
Baronkrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2023, 17:06   #24

Boat: Barlow, Ex Trawler 13.85m

Sailor Boy I also have drop ins now, after 10 years of cells, you are worried about nothing. The whole balancing thing comes in when you have individual cells with no BMS or voltage cut off device on each cell and high discharge rates ie electric cars.
Your inbuilt BMS will take care, occasionally I go to a marina fully charge my 3 banks via a Mastervolt charger. The charger has 3 outputs. No logical reason for doing that just seems to make sense. My banks are consistently at 80%
So much smoke and mirrors about LFP. In my humble opinion.
Iains boatyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 12:07   #25
CLOD

So I have been in marina for 3.5 months, but not turned on the battery charger. I have got through periods of my solar set only going to 13.4/13.6/13.9/14.4 volt for absorption. In each it hold that 2 hours or if solar output drops to 10 amps and then it drops to float of 13.4V.

The result of that is that the morning SOC when the lower 13.4V was set was around 70%. 1the 13.6% around 75%, and the 13.8 & 14.4V 80-83%. The other day while on the 14.4V the batteries were at 100% and only accepting 1.15A, which is 0.375% of 20C.

Near as I can tell none of the above settings made any difference to anything.Morning voltahes were pretty much the same for the morning starting SOC of 70-83%. The batatteries I feel surely "balanced" at the 14.4V low acceptance.

What does this have to do with post #1 of the thread? It is that is seemed to matter nothing if "balanced"
Old 20-08-2023, 07:59   #26

Boat: Ericson 27

I just let my BMS deal with it, and don't worry about it. The very first time I charged my battery, it spent about 5 or 6 hours balancing the cells (I didn't bother manually balancing them). After that they've been within less than 0.01v of each other ever since. I was just set and forget.
hjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2023, 08:36   #27

Boat: Nordship 808

You say you have a drop-in battery.
So it has a BMS that will balance your cells.
If it had BT you could have watched the show

Of course cells should be balanced, and your cells ARE getting balanced.
Nothing to worry about, or believe that it require any education, it is all done for you.

https://www.power-sonic.com/blog/lif...ell-balancing/
SaylorMade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2023, 09:44   #28

Boat: Swallowed the anchor

SailorBoy does your owner's manual say anything about the BMS having a cell balancing feature? All the voltages you have previously mentioned are at the battery level. You really don't know what the cell level voltages are.

If the BMS does have a balancing feature you also don't know what parameters trigger it to function.

I'd contact Power Queen if you want some real answers.
kenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2023, 12:52   #29
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbo View Post
SailorBoy does your owner's manual say anything about the BMS having a cell balancing feature? All the voltages you have previously mentioned are at the battery level. You really don't know what the cell level voltages are.

If the BMS does have a balancing feature you also don't know what parameters trigger it to function.

I'd contact Power Queen if you want some real answers.
Nothing in my manual.

And you know what? Same for my old lead acid batteries,
Old 29-08-2023, 13:12   #30

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

You simply connect the Neey active balancer to the cells. Then you looK for one cycles it works correctly. After that just forgets irsethere
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote