Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2023, 17:13   #1

Exmouth to Perth

We’re looking to purchase a catamaran which is penned in Exmouth and would like to move her to Perth for the summer. My husband is an experienced sailor and is keen to do the trip himself with a couple of experienced crew. He’s happy to motor all the way if needs be to move the yacht as quickly as possible. When is the latest time of year he could depart Exmouth and how long do you think the trip will take? Any advice will be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Chillnspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2023, 17:49   #2

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)
Re: Exmouth to Perth

I will be sailing to Exmouth in April next year, and I plan for the return trip approx. 2 weeks (to Freo), or 3...4 weeks if I stop at the Abrolhos Islands.
Distance is approx 850 NM.
You did not say how big the cat is, but lets say 40 ft. You should be able to motor and sail at 6 knots.
BUT....... you are likely to have headwinds all the way to Perth/Fremantle, as SW to SE winds will blow at 20-25 knots, very uncomfortable and wet. I doubt if any recreational boat (or crew) can do that at 6 knots for 800 NM.
When motoring into the wind and waves, you will double the normal fuel usage, you may need to refuel once or twice.
There are two options, sail fairly close to shore in the 50 to 200 mt depth contour so you will be assisted by the Leeuwin current, or tack out to sea for a few hundred miles until the winds are more westerly, and you can then sail to Fremantle on one tack.
One other thing, it is cyclone season now, check your insurance and check the weather, as really not many places to hide on that trip, only Carnarvon/Shark Bay/Steep Point and Geraldton. I would not go into Dongara or Jurien in adverse weather. Even in Geraldton I would prefer daylight hours, and I know that area very well.
As you said, your husband is an experienced sailor, he would know all this.
Old 16-10-2023, 18:14   #3

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Oh, there is a third option, like many cruisers do, wait at Steep Point until a favourable weather pattern arrives. But.... you may be waiting 1 or 2 weeks, and I gather that you want to move very quickly.
Old 18-10-2023, 17:14   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankOnthewater View Post
Oh, there is a third option, like many cruisers do, wait at Steep Point until a favourable weather pattern arrives. But.... you may be waiting 1 or 2 weeks, and I gather that you want to move very quickly.
Thanks Hank for your valuable advice, the boat is 10m long, we haven’t bought it yet but I’ll let you know how things go😃
Chillnspice is offline   Reply With Quote