Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2006, 14:28   #1

Boat: 2011 Hunter 50
Any Perth or Fremantle sailors?

I would like to know what the weekend sailing is like in the Perth Au area. There is usualy lots of wind, and Rottnest Island is nearby which looks like an excellent destination. I know that they charge visitors, how much is it? Is it busy anchoring there or do you need to use moorings? Are there other anchoring destinations for short weekend trips? There certainly is miles of beaches available but they're not very anchcor friendly. The Swan River below Perth was full of sailboats but they do not appear to have access the ocean because of the bridges.

Thanks for any information.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 17:39   #2

Location: I live & sail alone full-time, on the East coast of Australia, on my Cat `Tsunami' and after 2 years still feel happy to be on the water.
Boat: Seawind 1000 Catamaran-`Tsunami'
ROTTNEST ACHORAGES-WESTERN AUSTRALIA

Hi Zippy

I'm from Perth and have sailed (powered actually) to Rottnest many times, some time ago. I'm not a full bottle on anchorages now as the memory dims ... but know there's a Bay specifically for anchors (no moorings) on the SW end of Rotto (Parker Point I think.) This is no-good in a E-S-Westerly though.

I am certain there are other anchorages on the northern side of the island ... BUT ... most Bays are taken up with permanent moorings which are purchaced by Boaties and shared. They are heavily policed, so it is hard to `borrow' one for a few days.

Rottnest is a very beautiful Island, frequented heavily by Perth residents and visitors. If you want more detailed info, I can get it from a freind who owns/leases a mooring in the major Bay ... Thompsons. There's a landing fee ... from memory it is low at something like $8-12 (?)

Weekend sailing destinations are scarce on the West coast. A half-day sail south to Mandurah is very pleasant ... or an over night in Mandurah and a day leg to Busselton is OK as well.

There's a marina 15-20 miles north of Fremantle which is a `5 out-of-10' destination.

As you mention ... unless you can drop your mast to go under the two traffic bridges at Fremantle ... the Swan river (which is large and beautiful ... is not on!

Forget about anchoring along the Coastal beaches.
Old 24-12-2006, 17:31   #3

Send a message via ICQ to emmo
Perth Sailor

Hi Zippy,
I am a Perth based sailor, and am preparing for a couple of days at sea. I have a mooring on the river, much cheaper than a pen at on of the marinas or clubs outside, sure lowering and raising the mast is a hassle, but not too bad.
On wed am[27/12/06] my son and I will motor down river bright and early while I lower mast, under bridges, mast up, then off we go.
Thios is my first time out to sea in this yacht, our destination is Mandurah, 30 nm south, an easy day sail, tho winds look to be a little light.
We will overnight at Mandurah in the marina, 1st night is free under reciprocal membership, counter meals in the yacht club bar.
Next day back out and home, if there are good breezes we can detour as time allows.
The WA waters have several good anchorages scattered a day apart, I have previously been to Mandurah, then Bunbury then Dunsbourgh, stopped a few days then the same return.
Over the next couple of years I wil be getting up and down our coast.

Merry Christmas
Emmo