Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Americas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2021, 15:04   #31

Re: Where should I start, I want to be on water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJS View Post
"I don’t want to jump the gun and make a life long mistake, but at the same time, unless I have to… waste time saving money for a boat that I could have sooner…"

I never heard someone indicate the time it takes to save money as "wasting time"...

Everyone has wants. Wants require resources to fulfill, when it come to desires those resources typically mean money. When it comes to boating/marine anything those resource dollars are double than most other desires (outside of girlfriends).

I think there is something romantic to some about idea of jumping in and just going for it, and, yes, while there are people that indicate you can do anything on a shoe string, the reality is you have to have the shoe to have the string.

Some sound advise was provided regarding starting with a tailorable weekender, etc... which you commented is not preferable. However, you are a renter that has moved around a bit (for whatever reasons) with limited resources (cash, cash equivalents). Options are limited. I'm in the equities/REET business, you would be hard pressed to get a lender to give you money for what is considered a luxury item with no collateral. Hate to be the one to say it...

Crawl, walk, run... if you really "have a calling" to the water get a smaller cheap weekender, work hard and do waste your time saving money to build the resources to move to the next step up and gain vast experience in the process. Your dream is attainable with a plan, hard work and patience.

Hello PJS,

You do have sound advice, the way things are going for me right now the logic says get a weekender….thank you for keeping it real.

Thank you again and fair winds.
allegory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2021, 15:06   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbo View Post
Not in Florida but on the right coast, maybe worth a flyer https://www.ebay.com/itm/20359594734...EAAOSwSixgYUzK

Hi Kenbo,

I haven’t considered ebay yet but i’ll look whats there also, as long as they allow survey, escrow etc prior to exchange cash.

Thank you and fair winds.
Old 14-09-2021, 15:08   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
You might also consider getting on with a race crew.

You can learn alot, and gleen info.

Fair winds!

SV Cloud Duster

Hello SV Cloud Duster,

From what I have been hearing here in the forum getting on with a race crew seems to be the right step forward, thats my next step. Thank you and fair winds.
Old 17-09-2021, 19:40   #34

Greetings and fair winds to everyone responded and/or read my story and responses. Thank you all, truly. I have decided to take it easy and not make any rash decisions. Me and my wife will focus on getting a house we like and get a weekender sailboat 30-38ft range which we can comfortably afford and enjoy. I will keep asking questions as things progress. First step is looking for crew opportunities, then we will see how it play out. We will go where the wind blows. Thank you all. You have been great! Hope to talk you in other threads in the future. Fair winds.

Tags
water