Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Americas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2023, 08:00   #1

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Places to avoid in Central America?

We are planning to sail down the west coast of Central America from Mexico to Panama next year.
We have tried to gather as much information as we can on safe places to anchor/marinas etc.

What I'm looking for is information on what places to AVOID. Either because they are simply not safe or crime is rampant.

thanks in advance

carsten

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2023, 08:58   #2

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,
Re: Places to avoid in Central America?

you may like to try

https://www.latitude38.com/

used to live on the West Coast, and they cover almost any topic of interest to sailors/cruisers, and were my go to for information.

I did that area, late 90s and Acapulco started to become a serious issue and believe now should be avoided?

Am sure everything has changed during the last 20 some years, but I felt more security and safety self-conscious sailing from Panama to US because of the drug traffic.
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2023, 04:57   #3

I think anywhere in Latin America has the potential to be dangerous especially if you are a soft target. I can't really opine on safety without knowing anything about you and your companions but in my mostly land based travels between Colombia and Mexico I encountered a lot of people asking probing questions seemingly feigning concern for my safety while eyeing my possessions surreptitiously. These conversations almost always ended abruptly when I made it clear I would not be easy pickings for robbery.

I even encountered a large group of local fishermen in Potosi Nicaragua who were less subtle in their attempts to intimidate me but when scoffed at thankfully backed off. If I had shown any fear, it might have ended different.

Are you going there in a very fancy boat? Will you leave someone aboard for security at all times? What sort of personality will your companions have? The answers to these questions are important because they'll definitely affect your experience.

Sorry this isn't more helpful but I don't think there's anywhere that can be considered really safe, it largely depends on luck and how people think you'll react to violence. Ironically, the worst experience I had was in Mexico City where a knife was pulled on me despite there being dozens of heavily armed police nearby, you'd think it'd be safer near all those cops, right?

Also, do you speak Spanish reasonably well? I got the feeling I'd have had a much worse time had I been unable to speak Spanish somewhat well.
SomeGuyInaShirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2023, 05:04   #4

Boat: F&C 44' KETCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyInaShirt View Post
I think anywhere in Latin America has the potential to be dangerous especially if you are a soft target. I can't really opine on safety without knowing anything about you and your companions but in my mostly land based travels between Colombia and Mexico I encountered a lot of people asking probing questions seemingly feigning concern for my safety while eyeing my possessions surreptitiously. These conversations almost always ended abruptly when I made it clear I would not be easy pickings for robbery.

I even encountered a large group of local fishermen in Potosi Nicaragua who were less subtle in their attempts to intimidate me but when scoffed at thankfully backed off. If I had shown any fear, it might have ended different.

Are you going there in a very fancy boat? Will you leave someone aboard for security at all times? What sort of personality will your companions have? The answers to these questions are important because they'll definitely affect your experience.

Sorry this isn't more helpful but I don't think there's anywhere that can be considered really safe, it largely depends on luck and how people think you'll react to violence. Ironically, the worst experience I had was in Mexico City where a knife was pulled on me despite there being dozens of heavily armed police nearby, you'd think it'd be safer near all those cops, right?

Also, do you speak Spanish reasonably well? I got the feeling I'd have had a much worse time had I been unable to speak Spanish somewhat well.
This is good feedback and I can hear experience talking here...

Another reason to deliberately Buddy-Boat these days for safety as the world appears to be swirling in the moral toilet bowl of life.

Skipper T
PUDDLE JUMPER II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2023, 06:17   #5

Boat: Leopard 38+; Corsair F-31UC

We spent from 2017 to 2021 doing that same trip, San Diego California to Key West Florida. When pondering your question, regarding the Pacific side, we couldn’t come up with any places to avoid. We loved them all!

Here are some bullet points;

-Knowing Spanish does help as a previous answer stated.
-Watch for long line fishermen as you proceed south. Just when you think you are far enough out, there they are day and night.
-We avoided Puerto Armuelles Panama for checking in to Panama due to challenging dinghy landing conditions and possible corruption with officials.
-Join the Panama Posse!!! Panamaposse.com.
-Buy the “Panama Cruising Guide” by Eric Baumhaus before you leave.

One evening three of us cruisers were discussing favorite experiences. We all agreed that the southbound trip from the U.S. to the Panama Canal was our favorite. Enjoy and relish it.

Don
S/V Bonzai
Leopard 38
Trvlmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2023, 07:21   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Pacific or Atlantic?

Belize sailor has been my best source.

ATLANTIC: What I HEAR is to stay WELL off the Nicaguran banks. There have been reports of largish fishing vessels in pursuit of personal vessels.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2023, 08:28   #7

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Guys
First off - WE are sailing down the WEST coast of central america - that means the PACIFIC side.

For those who wonder about my partner - she is a very experienced cruiser and is not easily frightened nor in any way particularly nervous

No need to worry especially about her

WE have been cruising over most of the world for seven years now. So we are no completely inexperienced

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2023, 08:39   #8

Boat: Norseman 447

While Puerto Armuelles isn’t the nicest anchorage, mostly 60-70’ deep, rolly when the wind is onshore and challenging to tie the dinghy to the old banana pier, I found the officials and the locals just fine when I was there. The closest I got to any "corruption" was the agricultural of ficial who couldn’t make $3 change from a $20 bill. The port captain sent somebody to the bank for change. One afternoon when my boat dragged the anchor in on-shore winds, they sent somebody all around the town until they found me. In general, the Panamanian officials were far easier to deal with in every respect than the Costa Ricans.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2023, 08:50   #9
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I saw an armed boarding reported in the Perlas, Panama just the other day.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2023, 09:25   #10

Boat: Seeking motor sailer this fall west coast N America

Tried going to lake ometetepe to see the fresh water sharks they are making a comeback after the Japanese canned them all. It was like total collapse they were pressing kids into military service bad news. Met people fleeing south and north of the country. I have no bad reports for coata rica it’s pura vida. Ticos are warm and fun to be around. authorities never shook us down and the crime seemed less than the states. Panama was alright it was cheapest place to buy beer of any of them at the economic development quarter at golfito to take advantage I think you have to book a room in the area. The problem is the boys from Columbia run out fuel right about where the osa peninsula sticks out so there always gps dropped fuel ops happening. The people in the trade seemed progressional no interest in loco fishing gringos. Rooster fish for dayz
Old 16-02-2023, 09:55   #11

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

[QUOTE=carstenb;3744286]Guys
First off.....

if you have time on your way south, I stopped in Cocos Islands, amazing !!!

Yes, it is a significant detour, we left Acapulco and did not want to mess with the
Papagallos and Tehuantepec instead went offshore.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Panama Cocos Island.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	459.6 KB
ID:	271677  
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2023, 10:17   #12

Boat: Morgan 382

I seconds Don's advice. Join the Panama Posse. There are several hundred boats in that group doing the same thing, and they share up to date information on all the hot spots. In general it's all pretty safe.

Officials in Costa Rica are not boater friendly. Agents are required. Expect to pay $500 USD to check in, and $500 again to check out. If you check in and out at the same port you might be able to negotiate that down.
Old 16-02-2023, 10:39   #13

Boat: Leopard 38+; Corsair F-31UC

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Guys
First off - WE are sailing down the WEST coast of central america - that means the PACIFIC side.

For those who wonder about my partner - she is a very experienced cruiser and is not easily frightened nor in any way particularly nervous

No need to worry especially about her

WE have been cruising over most of the world for seven years now. So we are no completely inexperienced
You’re welcome.
Trvlmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2023, 06:56   #14

Boat: Beneteau First 435

Generally, very safe everywhere. Central America is as safe as Mexico. Most cruisers give Guatemala a miss as port fees are high, an agent is required, and the only marina is next to a fisherman’s dock and the water has the distinct smell of their fish cleaning residue. Note that an agent is no longer required in Costa Rica, that was a temporary pandemic measure and has now been rescinded. The tuantepec and Papagayo areas warrant special attention for their unique weather patterns, but normal caution will suffice to avoid the worst of them.

Join the panama posse rally for up to date information.
avant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2023, 07:19   #15

Join The Southbound Group (https://groups.io/g/southbound-group). The group has over 1100 members, mostly people which considerable experience in the area you are describing. The group also has a great file store of information about various countries along the way.

Another resource is Noonsite (https://www.noonsite.com/). Great information for cruisers, organized by country.
abarrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Central America