Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2018, 23:10   #31

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: Owning a car while cruising

Good grief, what a place to live, 52 (53 if you count the feds plus an unknown number of overseas territories) sets of rules to learn.
RaymondR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:00   #32
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Most States have a GDP that would put them in the top 50 countries.

11 are larger in size than the UK.

And you only need to know the ones you actually move to, they all honor each other's.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 07:16   #33

Boat: Nordhavn 47

Take it from someone who has had their license revoked and had to get it back. If you have a car registered in your name you must have insurance. As soon as you prove to the state that you no longer have the car and you get it out of your name then you can do whatever you want to the insurance but you have to take that first step.

Having said that USAA offers a very cheap policy that actually covers all the other stuff that automobile insurance usually covers like rental cars, liability, personal property theft, etc if you don’t actually have a car. If you rent very much it pays for itself quickly.
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 00:07   #34

Boat: Coast 30

When renting a car in any country or city that you are not completely familiar with no matter how good you are at driving, The hesitations caused through uncertain navigation will make the probability of being involved in a traffic accident considerably higher.

One of my son's was involved in the car rental business in a previous decade, and observing this phenomenon, always recommended purchase of extra coverage So that there was no deductible to be paid,
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 12:16   #35

Don't know what folks in Florida do, but, when my daughter left the nest to work she moved to a city. She has no car and still has an insurance policy for folks who do not own a vehicle. It is much cheaper than typically. She has been able to rent cars with the policy as she needs. Think it is with USAA

Forget cabs, Go UBER or LYFT when you are scooting about. Cheaper, cleaner, and not as many drunks behind the wheel.
Sapphir3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 11:37   #36

File for a lost tag. When the DMV gives you the new tag, put it in the “turning in your tag” dropbox on the way out the door.

I live in Florida, the panhandle, and had a similar problem when I sold a motorcycle without taking the tag off first.
Balderdash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 16:32   #37

I live in Florida.
If you have an active tag without insurance, they will suspend your license.
Contact the Florida DMV by phone and explain the situation. The DMV rep will know more than you or me.
Balderdash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising