Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Other
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2010, 19:00   #1

Boat: Will be a 50' Cat
Info on Baltimore's Inner Harbor ?

Hi,

Does anyone have local knowledge on the options for getting an overnite berth in Baltimore's inner harbor for the 4th of July ? Is there a public marina in that area ? Can one anchor in the harbor overnite ? Basically we want to spend the 4th taking in the festivities there and then watch the fireworks from a Chartered 44' CAT.. so perhaps getting a slip would not be possible ? I was wondering if the Water Taxi would pick someone up off a yacht ? Are Dingy's safe in the area ? We would like to be able to do some of the land activities... any help, advice and local knowledge would be greatly appreciated ...

Cheers
capcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2010, 21:22   #2

Boat: McGregor venture 15 "IMP"
I have spent some time in the inner harbor. I am almost certain that the water taxis will not pick you up from a personal yacht. they simply motor from one stop to the next. A small tender or dinghy will be fine, but there are few places to take it. Many of the restaurants on the water have docks to tie up to. If I remember correctly, there is a nice restaurant called The Rusty Scupper with a dock and fuel capabilities. I was in a private marina chartering a 34' Bene a few years back. Best of luck,
Spencer
Old 26-04-2010, 06:41   #3

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

The title says it all. Sign up and you will have a NOAA chart with all of the marinas and anchorages shown.

There are plenty of marinas and a couple of anchorages. The most interesting anchorage, but will probably be full on the 4th is between the submarine and the Constitution right in the heart of the inner harbor. There is room for 3-4 boats and there is an unofficial place to land your dinghy in front of the sub. But you do have to contend with the paddle boats.

The other anchorage is in Fells Point and will hold 6-8 boats, maybe more.

The water taxis won't pick up off of boats, but there are landing near each of the marinas and near the Fells Point anchorage.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2010, 08:05   #4

Boat: Boatless
The City dock right in the inner harbor is about $1:25/ft/night and is excellent. I do not know if they take bookings. We spen a very nice 10 days there about 18 months ago.

People anchor near the submarine right off the City Dock but then get charged heavily for leaving the dinghy on the City Dock.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2010, 09:21   #5

Boat: Morgan 45 Enchantress
capcook,
July 4 falls on a Sunday this year so boasts will be anchoring in the inner harbor on Friday night or earlier. On most weekends you wouldn't have to worry but July 4 is something else. There probably won't be room to anchor out in the inner harbor or Fells point unless you get there a coupel of days early. There are also a lot of marinas in Canton which is walking ddistance from Fells Point and a water taxi ride away from the Inner Harbor.
With a big cat like the one you're chartering I would call and make reservations in advance, as cats take a bit more room. If you Google Baltimore Marinas you'll get a list with phone numbers.
July 4 fireworks in Baltimore are really great and of course there are lots of good restaurants (except Chinese -- don't know why but there isn't a decent Chinese restaurant anywhere in Baltimore.) And once you anchor or tie up you can take the water taxi all over the Inner Harbor and across to Locust Point (where we live) and Fort McHenry.

SV Enchantress
located Herrington Harbour South, Friendship MD
Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
bloodhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2010, 14:51   #6

Boat: Will be a 50' Cat
Thanks All...

Bloodhunter et al.... would one have a pretty good view of the fireworks from the Inner Harbor Marina? I agree all the freebie / cheap places will probably be taken... we won't be able to get there before Saturday evening... so I want to have a reservation if that is possible... the Inner Harbor Marina looks to be a good one... any thoughts ?

Cheers
capcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:19   #7

I lived aboard in the Inner Harbor for a while, July 4th it is one huge nonstop party, and if you arrive Saturday you will not find ANY place to tie up or anchor. If you want to tie up, you should call all marinas soon - few places can fit your cat, summer rates are $2+ per foot per night, and EVERY place to tie up WILL be occupied that weekend.

I have not been out on the docks of the Inner Harbor Marina, but have talked to liveaboards there and they like it. Federal Hill might block your view of the fireworks, but I don't know. On holiday weekends I find the Inner Harbor and Fells Point areas too crowded, and there is wa-a-ay too much alcohol consumption for me to enjoy it. The same people own Baltimore Marine Center (BMC), Baltimore Marine Center - Baltimore, MD which is before the Inner Harbor, is very nice, has a long dock that can easily fit your cat, and an excellent view of the fireworks. There is a West Marine on the property and grocery store across the street, and it is walking distance to two water taxi docks and Fells Point.

If you want to anchor, very few people anchor in the area between BMC and the First Mariner Bank building, in front of the Korean War Memorial Park, and you should have room to anchor there. Just stay closer to shore or BMC because it is a turning basin for tankers that unload at the tank farm next to the bank building. If you don't want to take your dink to Fells Point or the Inner Harbor, all the shore there is rip rap, but there is a water taxi dock at the park, so depending on how strong you are and big your dink is, you might be able to get it out at the dock and lock it to a tree in the park.

If you do anchor, be prepared for dredging up toxic black goo, diapers, trash bags and such. Hose it off very well before putting your anchor away, and wash your hands! Talking to any divers about the ear, nose and lung infections they get should cure your urge to anchor anywhere near B-more.

Last year the fireworks lasted 18 minutes.

Priscilla
ShipShape is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baltimore