Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Other
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2011, 06:49   #46

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Across the Top of Australia

Crikeys mate, what next??

I take it that the mast itself was not badly damaged when it fell, so things could have been worse... or am I misreading things? Sounds like what you need is a new forestay and possibly repairs to the furler, and then restepping... maybe something with a spreader too.

Anyhow, it is turning into a true saga. I guess that the good news is that your personal list of BTDTs is growing to epic proportions!

Hang in there! I too am impressed with your tenacity.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 17-08-2011, 19:10   #47

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Strap the mast to the deck, fill 'er with fuel, load a few gerry cans and bugger off by motor to Australia.

Its only 900 miles without wind to Bali and refuel. Then 1,000 to Darwin.

Vitually no wind to Bali. Trades 20 on the nose Bali to Darwin
It might just come to that, Mark!!
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 20:45   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Crikeys mate, what next??

I take it that the mast itself was not badly damaged when it fell, so things could have been worse... or am I misreading things? Sounds like what you need is a new forestay and possibly repairs to the furler, and then restepping... maybe something with a spreader too.

Anyhow, it is turning into a true saga. I guess that the good news is that your personal list of BTDTs is growing to epic proportions!

Hang in there! I too am impressed with your tenacity.

Cheers,

Jim
Well, Jim, I took photos of the mast and sent them to Z Spars who reckoned that a new mast was needed. OK, they would say that, wouldn't they! So I got a second opinion (actually I got lots - most of it gratuitous(!!) ) and have found a very good ally machinist who can sleeve internally and externally for less than a quarter of a new mast. It wont be quite so pretty but I'm reasonably certain the owner will go for it.

Things are happening but now its the Sunday so I'll take the bus into town to try and find an ATM and get some Sing dollars into my pocket! T
Old 26-09-2011, 10:49   #49

UPDATE

For those following this saga, the good news is that the Insurance Company are going to come to the party. This is a huge relief for the owner and although he will not cover all the additional expenses incurred, it will most certainly help.

The boat is currently on the hard in Singapore waiting to be rigged. For safety and liability purposes, the owner elected for a new mast. This will take about a month to arrive from Z spars. Meanwhile, the other damage is being mended and the opportunity is being taken to attack the other defects and maintenance issues.

Since I've been "off station" for nearly 5 months, the owner very kindly flew me home to BVI so that I could complete my commitment to 2 East Coast to Caribbean deliveries in October. By the time these are done, we hope that the cat will be ready and I'll fly back to Singapore with a new crew to complete the journey to Brisbane.

I'm hopeing not to have to spend Christmas at sea (been there, done that, in an earlier existence). Best to all, Tony
Old 27-09-2011, 01:24   #50
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

So am I thinking you will be pushing across the top of Oz during the early part of the cyclone season...
At least you shouldn't have the eastlies on the nose by then or the SE's down the Qld coast.
This is turning into one looooong delivery!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 12:31   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
So am I thinking you will be pushing across the top of Oz during the early part of the cyclone season...
At least you shouldn't have the eastlies on the nose by then or the SE's down the Qld coast.
This is turning into one looooong delivery!
Yes: If I can get out of Singapore in early November, the cyclone season is, in a similar way to the Caribbean/Atlantic season, in its early stages and "lower risk"! Obviously, one has to pay a lot more attention to the weather forecasts and routeing options. Otherwise, it'll be a six month delay.
Old 27-09-2011, 15:31   #52

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day again, mate,

Well, that is an ambitious program, and I hope that the timing works out for you.

I think that both you and the owner get good marks for stick-to-itness.

Do keep us informed... we're hooked on your saga!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 28-09-2011, 02:36   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvimatelot View Post
Yes: If I can get out of Singapore in early November, the cyclone season is, in a similar way to the Caribbean/Atlantic season, in its early stages and "lower risk"! Obviously, one has to pay a lot more attention to the weather forecasts and routeing options. Otherwise, it'll be a six month delay.
Surely it's time for something to go your way for a change. Without wanting to jinx you in any way, I am predicating you will be out of Singers very early November, have a so so run to Darwin, clear customs etc, have a quick beer and enjoy a fast and trouble free trip across the top and down the east coast (inside the reef).

Once you enter / leave Darwin, you will be under the influence of the "Lucky Country" and Gods will be smiling on you. The only downside will be that you will be realizing that you are sailing fast past a truly wonderful, wide and remote coast without a chance to stop and enjoy. A painful but necessary price to pay for a change of luck IMO.

I am sure that the likes Jim C (and others) are hoping for the same outcome for you.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 28-09-2011, 05:58   #54

Quote:
Surely it's time for something to go your way for a change. Without wanting to jinx you in any way, I am predicating you will be out of Singers very early November, have a so so run to Darwin, clear customs etc, have a quick beer and enjoy a fast and trouble free trip across the top and down the east coast (inside the reef).

Once you enter / leave Darwin, you will be under the influence of the "Lucky Country" and Gods will be smiling on you. The only downside will be that you will be realizing that you are sailing fast past a truly wonderful, wide and remote coast without a chance to stop and enjoy. A painful but necessary price to pay for a change of luck IMO.

I am sure that the likes Jim C (and others) are hoping for the same outcome for you.
Many thanks, Shipmate!! Lets hope your predictions are right! And you're right - I'm going to be extremely sad that I'll have no time for any "tourism" in an area that I've always wanted to visit....oh well....who knows what opportunities may arise from all this? Tony
Old 28-09-2011, 07:01   #55

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
(...) Once you enter / leave Darwin, (...)
Perhaps one can stay to the N and head for say Weipa?

Anyways, feelings of envy here: Australia - one of the very few destinations my first mate qualified as 'any time'.

Looking forward to all your updates. Bon voyage!

Hugs from the Northern hemisphere,
barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 07:21   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Perhaps one can stay to the N and head for say Weipa?

Anyways, feelings of envy here: Australia - one of the very few destinations my first mate qualified as 'any time'.

Looking forward to all your updates. Bon voyage!

Hugs from the Northern hemisphere,
barnakiel
Hmm... interesting point, while Weipa isn't the best choice, maybe there would be some merit in say using Thursday Island (TI) as the point of entry rather than Darwin. Without looking at the charts, the passage from Singapore to TI could be doable especially in November; possibly need to take on board extra fuel for potential calms during the build up of the wet season.

The beer is just as cold in TI as it is in Darwin and the locals are friendly!
Old 28-09-2011, 19:09   #57

Thanks, Barnakiel and Wotname. I very much like the idea of forceing further along before making the formal entry. I looked at the chart and, as Wotname says, Weipa seems to be a bit further down the York peninsula than I wanted to go.

However - The main question is: Are either of them a Port of Entry for first time entrance to Oz? I understand TI has Customs and Immigration for light aircraft but I dont know if they can (or are allowed to) clear in yachts which are being imported.

I'll have to ask the Authorities.

In many ways, it would now be rather a shame to miss Darwin as there are quite a few people in the area who have kindly invited me to give them a shout when I get there! Tony
Old 29-09-2011, 02:41   #58

Quote:
Thanks, Barnakiel and Wotname. I very much like the idea of forceing further along before making the formal entry. I looked at the chart and, as Wotname says, Weipa seems to be a bit further down the York peninsula than I wanted to go.
The west coast of Cape York is featureless and very uninteresting IMO. Also not place be around in the build up / wet season.
Quote:
However - The main question is: Are either of them a Port of Entry for first time entrance to Oz? I understand TI has Customs and Immigration for light aircraft but I dont know if they can (or are allowed to) clear in yachts which are being imported.
While TI is clearly a shipping / marine port of entry, I wouldn't know about the "importing a yacht" part of the question. However I would be surprised if it was a problem. Just about every federal government department has an office on TI (or use to).

Quote:
In many ways, it would now be rather a shame to miss Darwin as there are quite a few people in the area who have kindly invited me to give them a shout when I get there! Tony
I hear you
Old 29-09-2011, 09:52   #59

Boat: a sailing boat

Both Weipa and TI are labeled (by noonsite.com) as ports of entry.

I said Weipa because I thought approaching TI directly after a passage looks more challenging than approaching Weipa, taking some rest, then proceeding round the cape.

Sure thing, if TI can be reached in one go and in safety, it seems an even better option. Then you can earmark Weipa as a backup in case TI is hard to reach for whatever reason.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 22:00   #60

Boat: Westsail 32

Hi,
Darwin to Gove 4 & a half days. Gove to Seisia 5 days being slapped in the last 2 with short choppy sea's.
Seisia to Cairns 6 days, day sailing all the way down the coast to Portland Roads, then sailing through the nights to Cooktown.
Cooktown to Cairns, took 20 hours.
All in all not a bad trip with a boat that don't sail the well into the wind.
Next leg for me is is Cairns to Melbourne.

If you would like any more info just ask Cheers.
stoffer123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, australia