Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2019, 14:02   #1

Boat: Hunter 37 Cheribini
MOB Procedures

I'm trying to write a set of instructions for the watchstander in case of a MOB situation.

I've looked on the forums and can't find anything to compare to my write up, here it is, I assume only a 2 man crew;

3) Man overboard

a. In sight, throw life ring, stop boat or heave to if under sail. Start engine & position boat UP Wind of victim and let boat drift down to them. Lower Dingy/Life-raft to haul them aboard. If needed use pulleys and tackle to hoist as needed.

b. Not in sight, start MOB function on GPS Chart Plotter and activate AIS MayDay function, activate course track if not on, get pen & paper to note position, course & speed, then turn boat around and back track to one half the distance to the location where the number of hours since last seen is located. Roll the jib, use the engine at slow speed to allow hearing noises, but keep main up as it is easy to see at a distance. At night, turn on all lights, hoist the anchor light or flashlight and keep a watch for victim and lights or whistle noise. Then start a tight circle search with a space between circles of a maximum of ¼ mile, less if rough water.
c. When your circle expands out to the start point, activate EPIRB and continue monitoring Ch. 16 and start another circle search at that point. After two circles have been done try to sail the boat rather than use up the fuel. In tropical water a person can stay alive for up to 5 days, by this time the Coast Guard should have sent a long-range airplane to locate you, they will hail on Ch 16. Get them to search the area and look for an EPIRB signal from the victim. Engine has 4.25 days’ worth of fuel at 1,000 RPM, get CG to Drop fuel if possible. Do not give up until a week has passed, try to sleep during the day with boat hove to minimize drift. Keep spirits up and eat normally.

I say one week because my father told me of a MOB on a small Navy ship, Mike Boat, transiting HI to SF, CA. A man fell off, was wearing a PFD, was not noticed until 1-3 hours had passed. He was rescued 5 full days later, after the search had almost been called off twice!

Please only respond if you have something constructive to add, try to avoid going off topic please.

Capt. Wayne

PS, my Hunter 37 has a fixed boarding ladder on the stern, and an RIB in davits on the stern, a set of vang tackle 4:1 is available in the cockpit.
I also use an inflating PFD with whistle, strobe and Personal EPIRB and harness.
Apollo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2019, 17:23   #2
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: MOB Procedures

Here is something from an article I am putting together about RYA training:

MOB under power goes as follows:

1. Heave to
2. Assign a crew member to point at MOB
3. Press MOB button on plotter
4. Make a Distress call or Pan Pan call (official call in Australia)
5. Deploy lifesaving gear (rings, dan bouy etc)
6. Start engine, furl headsail or drop head sail, center main
7. Head downwind past MOB, after 3 boat lengths, turn and make your approach into the wind
8. Keep sight of the MOB using shrouds, slow down, pick up MOB on leeward side.

Under sail adds another dimension of complexity to MOB retrieval and goes as follows:

1. Heave to
2. Assign a crew member to point at MOB
3. Press MOB button on plotter
4. Make a Distress call or Pan Pan call (official call in Australia)
5. Deploy lifesaving gear (rings, dan bouy etc)
6. Bring the backed headsail across and sail off on a deep broad reach for about 3 -4 boat lengths, furling or dropping head sail as you broad reach away.
7. Tack on to a close reach under main sail alone and line up MOB through shrouds or close to that area on the leeward side.
8. Continue to sail towards MOB keeping them lined up, slowing the vessel by easing the main, then releasing the main allowing it to flap, to lose all drive, as the MOB is just disappearing out of your sight by the bow, turn the vessel head to wind to lock her in irons and stop next to MOB
9. MOB should be by the leeward quarter (by the guard rail gate) with the vessel stopped, carry out pick up.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2019, 20:00   #3

Critique;

Assumes you have at least 3-4 on board.
Assumes during day and within sight.
#6,7,8 would be hard to remember and could be done improperly, remember that everyone is full adrenalin, nervous, possibly confused and/or very tired. Other than that, it seems very reasonable.

BTW, I'm surprised RYA doesn't have a MOB plan already in their syllabus.
Old 18-10-2019, 20:31   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

FWIW, it seems to me the OP is assuming there is a two man crew now reduced to one as the other is the MOB.

If so, the principle requirement for para a.

In sight, throw life ring, stop boat or heave to if under sail. Start engine & position boat UP Wind of victim and let boat drift down to them. Lower Dingy/Life-raft to haul them aboard. If needed use pulleys and tackle to hoist as needed.

is to keep the MOB in sight while attending to the requirement to stop the boat and return. It is absolutely critical IMO the remaining one set of eyes never leave the MOB even when under sail. Again only my opinion, but the remaining person should just blow the sheets and let the sails flog if necessary. Keeping eyes on the MOB, then drop the halyards. Start the engine with the eyes on the MOB. Drive the boat to the MOB with eyes on the MOB.

Notice the pattern .

It is amazing difficult to "re-spot" an MOB if you have to start scanning even only 90 degrees of vision if there is any sort of sea running.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2019, 23:56   #5
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo366 View Post
Critique;

Assumes you have at least 3-4 on board.
Assumes during day and within sight.
#6,7,8 would be hard to remember and could be done improperly, remember that everyone is full adrenalin, nervous, possibly confused and/or very tired. Other than that, it seems very reasonable.

BTW, I'm surprised RYA doesn't have a MOB plan already in their syllabus.

Errrr They do and that is pretty much it

Also If practiced then its not confusing - Trying to do it from paper having never done it before would be a bit of a mare
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2019, 10:06   #6

Thanks UFO, I agree a lot of practice would be needed to accomplish #6,7,8 maneuvers, but don't understand why so complex wen just heave to & drift down isn't used.

And if that's all RYA has, then it really needs to be expanded in to "Lost" Overboard with no known time of lost.
Old 19-10-2019, 17:04   #7

Boat: Outbound 44

For shorthanded cruisers I think the AIS/DSC Sart devices are a bit of a game changer. Assuming they are actually worn, in an MOB situation the remaining crew actually has a good likelyhood of finding the MOB while still having time to focus on managing the boat in the sea conditions.

For a Mom and Pop crew recovery of an MOB in offshore conditions without the Sart is a pretty low likelyhood event. Stay on the boat.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2019, 18:04   #8
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
FWIW, it seems to me the OP is assuming there is a two man crew now reduced to one as the other is the MOB.

If so, the principle requirement for para a.

In sight, throw life ring, stop boat or heave to if under sail. Start engine & position boat UP Wind of victim and let boat drift down to them. Lower Dingy/Life-raft to haul them aboard. If needed use pulleys and tackle to hoist as needed.

is to keep the MOB in sight while attending to the requirement to stop the boat and return. It is absolutely critical IMO the remaining one set of eyes never leave the MOB even when under sail. Again only my opinion, but the remaining person should just blow the sheets and let the sails flog if necessary. Keeping eyes on the MOB, then drop the halyards. Start the engine with the eyes on the MOB. Drive the boat to the MOB with eyes on the MOB.

Notice the pattern .

This assumes that the 2nd crew is at the wheel or virtually so. In fact, they are equally likely to be below deck or at least at the other end of the cockpit. Very likely, by the time they get to the wheel, heaving to will NOT result in the boat staying near the victim.

The other assumption is that the boat will be controllable with the sails flogging. Try this. It may not be true with smaller boats and certainly is not true with down wind sails up.

Finally, the boat must hold still for at least 30 seconds with you away from the helm, while you help the victim aboard. This is no small thing with high freeboard. The right answer will vary with the boat.
Old 19-10-2019, 19:13   #9

I agree with keeping the eyes on the MOB at all times, also I appreciate that this i hard to do in most situations, Yes the MOB at sea is pretty hard to have happy outcome. But, we go to sea in small boats for the adventure, just not this kind.

I've added the Keep Eyes on MOB at all times to my write up.

This is not copywited so fell free to use and disseminate as you feel fit, i'd be nice to receive credit as the author, but needed.

I am also writing a set of "General Watchstander Instructions if anyone would like to see them & comment.

Cat. Wayne
Old 19-10-2019, 19:37   #10

Boat: Outbound 44

On a Mom and Pop cruising boat it is just plain wishful thinking and completely impractical to keep your eyes on the MOB at all times.
Old 19-10-2019, 20:24   #11
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
On a Mom and Pop cruising boat it is just plain wishful thinking and completely impractical to keep your eyes on the MOB at all times.

Bingo. Instead, the focus must be on staying oriented by focusing on the wind and wave direction as you maneuver.

Tags
mob