Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2023, 18:29   #1

Boat: B423
22 ft Skiff - 20kn - Egg Island

There was a post recently on a Facebook group regarding a guy who almost hit snorkelers near Egg Island off Eleuthera in the Bahamas. The boaters position was that they were not clearly marking their activity with a dive flag or near a dinghy to mark their location.

The boater is right in my opinion, the snorkelers were negligent to some extent. However, I believe, at least in the Bahamas, the boat operator would be in a significant jam if someone had been killed.

What do you think? Egg Island, is a spot with quite a bit of activity. Does 20 knots in a vessel, with already limited visibility, seem like a recipe for trouble?
clamshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2023, 18:38   #2

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: 22 ft Skiff - 20kn - Egg Island

If he had no reason to believe there were non-visible hazards in the vicinity and it wasn't a crowded area at the time, then 20 kts was probably not unsafe. How far from shore or a boat were the snorkelers?
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2023, 18:56   #3

Boat: B423
Re: 22 ft Skiff - 20kn - Egg Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
If he had no reason to believe there were non-visible hazards in the vicinity and it wasn't a crowded area at the time, then 20 kts was probably not unsafe. How far from shore or a boat were the snorkelers?
I don't think he had reason to believe the area was crowded at the time. I don't know how far from shore the snorkelers were.

It's an interesting event in my opinion. Who would be at fault if someone was hurt or killed? Of coarse a bunch of folks came to the table with FL laws or regulations, but this being the Bahamas, they are irrelevant.
clamshack is offline   Reply With Quote