Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2017, 18:58   #16

Re: Wanted help/information, salvage boat on St.Maarten

Check your PM
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 14:09   #17

Re: Wanted help/information, salvage boat on St.Maarten/BVI

So far my contacts on BVI/St.Maarten either disappeared or not very helpful, so still looking for someone willing to help. If you know any information which can lead to purchase salvage catamaran on BVI, please let me know. The person who actually will help to locate and buy boat, will be awarded of course.
Old 27-11-2017, 16:57   #18
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Just thinking of alternate options.

IF I were looking to do this, my preffered business plan approach might be a little bit different.

It is only worthwhile if there is a large component of DIY and the mindset to form a Co-op with other like minded buyers to get volume discounts

1. ....First identify and purchase at best value, a structurally sound boat and the missing expensive parts at salvage prices.

2....Identify an underused repair facility somewhere on the Continental Americas, within reasonable barging distance and calculate shared shipping costs for a Group Rate of a few boats..(with masts off, and custom rack supports welded to decks... Multi hull boats could be stacked on a modular rack)

3.....If eventual US registry was prefered by Co-op Group for previously foreign registry yachts, then research the custom fees savings for a salvage vessel becoming US registered and negotiate with a backwoods facility to receive the boats and parts at a discount price.

Hire amongst yourselves, an experienced project manager to efficiently get all the works done by the key subcontractors at a negotiated rate for the Group. Advising on your DIY responsibilities, while keeping the subcontacors busy and organized.

If not in the US, then same procedure elsewhere that has the infrastructure to support the major refits and your Project Manager.

The best PM would be a talented hands on cruiser, probably doing his own refit, but with the agreement that his own really budget project, is the last to complete.

Thinking about 8-10 boats in the Co-op
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 19:15   #19

Thanks for your opinion.
1. MOSTLY structurally sound boat - yes, finding parts - yes, as much as possible. Main goal is to find person who actually will help to buy boat before it'll be "flipped" (re-sold) couple times.
2. That's a bit easier, as I would not rely on repair facilities, mostly on DIY. I will only need to do very necessary repairs, then boat will slowly go home under its own power (see #1 - no major structural issues).
3. I'm very happy not to be US citizen, boat won't go to US, so that stuff doesn't bother me at all.

I would manage project myself, as I can do many things 10 times cheaper than any "project manager". I've used to rebuild cars in the past for living, and believe me, to make money on them you have to make impossible things happen. (Like - buy car for 8K, it has 20K damage on it. But you only can sell that car for 15K when ready. So there's 7K for making 20K repair AND that includes your profit! Don't try this at home! )
I'm working for myself and will work my ass off while "project manager" wouldn't risk his ass. Why would he? Client pays!

I'd be happy to cooperate with 1-2 other enthusiasts who's thinking exact same way, so we could help each other on first step (buying-making seaworthy-go home), but coop with many boats involved etc. - definite no.

Just little comment regarding some other posts on CF, where people already bought (or thinking to buy) salvage and thinking to get "project manager" to "make magic" for them. Yeah, they might do the magic. But these guys won't like final bill, that's for sure.
Old 11-09-2018, 04:46   #20

We are looking for a salvaged / damaged sailing catamaran with over 40 feet that we would like purchase any ideas would be highly appreciated.
matoSmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:46   #21

Boat: Passport 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by matoSmo View Post
We are looking for a salvaged / damaged sailing catamaran with over 40 feet that we would like purchase any ideas would be highly appreciated.
YachtSalvage.com - used boat sales

You will find most of what's left there.
gaucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:51   #22

This looks like a good deal https://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-BENETE...UAAOSwUVBbl1sV
Steffijune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:55   #23

only RC Cats there. Has anybody bought a boat in Parham? Experience?
matoSmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, salvage, wanted