Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2017, 20:38   #1

Wanted help/information, salvage boat on St.Maarten

I'm thinking to buy one of the total loss boats on St.Maarten. Any information pointing in right direction is greatly appreciated. Brokers welcome if they actually can help with this.
Also welcome others who interested in purchasing one of the salvage boats - let's share information, I'm sure it'll be easier to stay together.
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 22:06   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Wanted help/information, salvage boat on St.Maarten

There are a few threads on this running, try searching with the word Salvage. Also, sadly, there are lots of places to choose from to find a boat to do this with. Which hopefully the folks in need of help will get things back on track sooner rather than later.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 22:40   #3

I keep an eye on all these threads. In most cases, people also asking for any info. Most likely, it's too early to tell anything in particular, but got to start somewhere. Many bigger total loss boats will be expensive to move/dispose (I'm interested in bigger catamaran), so owners/insurance companies will need to deal with this somehow. In particular, I will be interested in boat which can be brought back to the condition when it can be safely moved under its own power (sail or motor), within reasonable amount of time (few weeks/months). I would move it to the place where I could fix it up at my own pace later.
Old 16-09-2017, 11:05   #4

Boat: Custom 36' folding sailing cat

I'm also interested in this.
Also, if any owners of a damaged cat, don't wish to deal with hurricanes anymore, I could be convinced to trade my Cat2Fold for the right boat.
Here's a "for sale" video I made last year when another multihull was seriously flirting with me...
https://youtu.be/FAn36UJmbDE
solarbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 18:05   #5

Hey Solarbri I love the concept of your Cat 2 fold and have followed it for some years good luck with the sale.
ATM I am selling my Whitehaven 11.8m performance cruiser ,listed on the forum I think ?

Thinking back to this original post I have thought along these lines before but right now would consider the timing it seems only today another Hurricane is brewing in the Carribean thats pretty much three in the last month is that a normal frequency ?
I know the ocean is warming in the Asian tropics .
The poor and rich victims will still be coming to terms with just surviving .
Interesting the north east coast of Australia is littered with ghost resorts not rebuilt after years of Cylclone destruction .
The majority of people effected by these latest disasters actually lost their permanent homes.
Lance Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 20:23   #6

There are already few guys interested in this (send me a message if you have thoughts or information to share).
Looking for guys (boat owners etc.) who intending to go to St. Maarten in near future, or local St.Maarten people who can/willing to help, also guys who knows someone at marina out there.
Old 23-09-2017, 20:03   #7

Live in Texas and we are looking for a repairable salvage boat. 28-32' Power cruiser (Four Winns, Sea Ray, Bayliner, etc) year 2000 or younger. Will post if we hear anything. Everyone do the same.
Tomcollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 03:39   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Tom.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 14:12   #9

To all interested - here's some useful general information.

Old 06-10-2017, 05:42   #10

Boat: Anastasiades One off 132'

the airport in sxm is out, and will not be operational for quite some time. you'll have to get a local island flight to one of the French islands, from there it's usually only possible to fly to Paris.
lifemiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 17:47   #11

Little update - according to some boat owners (link below), due to huge amount of damaged boats, in case of total loss insurance companies leave up to the owner task of disposing the boat. That means that there will be some deals indeed. Now it's only the matter of finding someone out there to help (or fly there and try to organize something).

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2501715
Old 23-10-2017, 13:44   #12

Another little update - I'm in contact with couple brokers/marine service providers who possibly can help to locate something. These who still interested in getting salvage and UNDERSTAND what kind of hassle involved (hint - HUGE), PM me, we'll see what we can do together.
Old 31-10-2017, 19:25   #13
cruiser

Boat: Westsail 42

Don't do it. You will spend more to do a complete ground up refit that will be needed than it would cost you to buy a new s/v.
Razoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2017, 22:31   #14

Well, I realize this is tough game. I've been dealing with salvage for many years, even though these were cars, not boats. But I was able to drive cars which I never would be able to afford otherwise. I don't see why boat would be different. It's all matter of your skills, including skills of finding or fabricating parts, finding right people to do work which you're not able or not willing to do yourself. This is NEVER straight forward task. It's task to find ways around the normal path. It's tough work, but can be fun...sometimes.
Old 07-11-2017, 16:30   #15

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchero76 View Post
Well, I realize this is tough game. I've been dealing with salvage for many years, even though these were cars, not boats. But I was able to drive cars which I never would be able to afford otherwise. I don't see why boat would be different. It's all matter of your skills, including skills of finding or fabricating parts, finding right people to do work which you're not able or not willing to do yourself. This is NEVER straight forward task. It's task to find ways around the normal path. It's tough work, but can be fun...sometimes.
I posted a request similar to yours a few weeks back, even offered a reward. No replies. I also requested no lectures on not doing this, I know what projects are. I also know that there will be plenty of projects out there. I am also looking for a 38-42 ft. Cat. Any help would be appreciated and I would expect to pay a finders fee leading to purchase. Seems like an opportunity for someone to become a project broker if you are in one of these affected areas.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, salvage, wanted