Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2017, 07:43   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Voyage, 500
Boats in USVI/BVI damaged

We are traveling to St Thomas and Tortola in January looking for a not too damaged sailing cat. (meaning not under water) Not sure what to do once there but any advice would help. I'm a fiberglass repairman. Would like to help out other boaters while there, have years of experience. Girlfriend is a massive volunteer for everything including Hospice. Been planning on moving to islands for over a year. Been live-aboard for 10 yrs.
Where to stay? How to get around? Insurance adjuster?
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
lokityler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 09:18   #2

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Re: Boats in USVI/BVI damaged

Good luck.. I have some friends there and although its getting back together, its still a little rough. I'm pretty sure you will have no problem finding work in St. Thomas - St. John. As to the BVI, you would still need a work permit (no idea how hard this would be to get).

As to a Catamaran.. I have heard of a few that fit your description, but you will be disappointed at the price. The ones that were "lightly" damaged are still demanding quite a premium. Its also not for the faint of heart to try and repair one there right now. Access to the basic supplies (cloth, resin, gelcoat, hell even sand paper) is almost nonexistent.

With that being said.. A pretty nice Leopard 38 was recently listed on here. It was damaged in BVI and motored to Grenada (access to repair items). By my rough estimate it needed about $25K of parts and some gelcoat repairs (never flooded).
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 11:13   #3
Marine Service Provider

Thank you for the response, appreciate it!
I saw some boats listed by insurance awhile back on FB but nothing since.
Where are the listings? The pp are awesome over there, love the life style compared to the rat race here, getting ready to retire and cannot wait!!! 52 yrs young! Hope to do some occasional chartering by next November.
What do you mean by rough? Just not being equipped? Curious also on the flights since it is a 87% chance of cancellation, LOL Could be worse than being stuck in a tropical island, since I live in the cold.
Old 26-11-2017, 11:43   #4

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokityler View Post
Thank you for the response, appreciate it!
I saw some boats listed by insurance awhile back on FB but nothing since.
Where are the listings? The pp are awesome over there, love the life style compared to the rat race here, getting ready to retire and cannot wait!!! 52 yrs young! Hope to do some occasional chartering by next November.
What do you mean by rough? Just not being equipped? Curious also on the flights since it is a 87% chance of cancellation, LOL Could be worse than being stuck in a tropical island, since I live in the cold.
Rough = Communications is spotty (cell service goes up and down, as does the internet). Transport is spotty, cabs and buses are not back to regular schedules. Still lots of broken trees and debris being cleaned up. Only reliable mail is a standard letters, packages are backed up for weeks (even the couriers). Groceries are available, but not everything all the time. You buy what you can when you can. Active salvage is still occuring in many of the waters. Tourism is down by a HUGE amount (this is hurting many jobs).

As to the boat listings.. Well since about %90 of in water boats were sunk (in the BVI) there are not many to sell. In fact a few boat yards down the chain have been paid to take the total losses (yup paid). They couldn't sell boats that sat sunk for 30-45 days. Some yards have started grinding them up, other yards are doing more creative things. People thought there would be loads of hurricane damaged boats, but personally I don't think so. The destruction in BVI and St. Martin was horrific and not many were left floating. As we moved down the chain we have see only about 15 hurricane damaged boats making their way south. Most had no masts and were pretty beat up. Unfortunately the "dream of buying a damaged boat and fixing it up" is a long shot. However I hope you prove me wrong.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 12:23   #5
Marine Service Provider

That is discouraging....a lot of info, thank you so much!
I will keep you informed after we get back. we are staying with local airbnb's way to help Never have done the airbnb before
Old 28-11-2017, 02:28   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Leopard 39

that would be me, didn't motored.... sailed hard to the wind at 6-7 knots over 3 days, although motors are fine!
rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
With that being said.. A pretty nice Leopard 38 was recently listed on here. It was damaged in BVI and motored to Grenada (access to repair items). By my rough estimate it needed about $25K of parts and some gelcoat repairs (never flooded).
rickrevak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 03:21   #7

Boat: 2017 Lagoon 42

You might try submitting your contact information and desires to each of the charter companies to pass along anyone they know who has a boat matching your description (boat owner or insurer).
DeepCut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, BVI