Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2021, 21:23   #1

(Aus) Affordable 30-40ft Offshore Liveaboard Yacht

Hi,
Wondering if anyone has any leads on an affordable ~35ft Liveaboard Yacht in Australia, ideally Victoria.

Looking for something forgiving, sturdy and safe.

Wishlist:
- Full Keel
- Ideally Steel or solid GRP design suitable for offshore work
- Easy to sail lighthanded
- Under $40k/aud
- Watertight and somewhat complete
- Expecting it to need a moderate refresh and will be rewiring it at the minimum with new electronics

Happy for suggestions or feedback if I am being unrealistic!
Josh. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 00:30   #2

Boat: Volkscruiser
Re: (Aus) Affordable 30-40ft Offshore Liveaboard Yacht

Josh, you might have to wait for the border to open to check this one out. You could always truck her home if you purchased her.
Cheers
Northwest 33, 'Thalia' $70000 - CP YACHT SALES SUNSHINE COAST
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 00:49   #3

Thank You,
Beautiful boat and example of a 'ready to sail' option

I'll consult with the 'ministry of finance and warfare' to see if the budget can be streached, getting to QLD is the easy part!
Old 08-11-2021, 00:56   #4

Josh it's been on the market for a while so a lower offer might get you somewhere. I thought we were keeping all you human Petri dishes out of our lovely state?
Cheers
Old 08-11-2021, 01:13   #5

I may be a leper, but I'm sure I can learn this NFL thing pretty quickly :P
It's intresting how some yachts move and some don't.
Old 08-11-2021, 01:33   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh. View Post
It's intresting how some yachts move and some don't.
Those which don't move quickly do so for a good reason. It could be the boat doesn't match the asked price, the seller is less motivated than necessary, it's in the wrong place or the boat design simply isn't attractive to most buyers.

About the last, many classic boats have no double berths, single berths only. This was very reasonable when racing or cruising with friends, but this isn't very nice for a couple.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 02:23   #7

Josh I am with that broker next week and will get the low down on her. Often owners won't budge on price so the boat just sits there.
Cheers
Old 08-11-2021, 02:32   #8

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Not sure if you'll get one in your price bracket, but you could go close, a Martzcraft 35 is a very good candidate for your requirements.

Other than that a Young Sun 35, if you can find one, is like a mini Hans Christian and are cheap. Will usually need a fair bit of TLC though as they have all the wood just like a HC.
Reefmagnet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 03:16   #9

Thank You all for your suggestions.
Like the layout of the Martzcraft 35's and centre console, will keep a saved search for these open to see if one pop's up that needs some TLC.

I'm very open for a project for the next few months and inherited a new Raymarine setup.
Old 08-11-2021, 03:21   #10

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Funny that, sheer coincidence, the poster above has a boat like this. Maybe Reefmagnet can comment much better than I can.
https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats...nder-33/264740
In Victoria, in Docklands, not far from the Westgate bridge, but more than your $40k, although there might a bit bit leeway as it has been on the market since June (when I first saw it).
There is also one for sale in Pittwater with DBY, and there was one for sale in Adelaide but just sold.
here is a pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cole nantucket 33.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	247938  
Old 08-11-2021, 05:13   #11

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankOnthewater View Post
Funny that, sheer coincidence, the poster above has a boat like this. Maybe Reefmagnet can comment much better than I can.
https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats...nder-33/264740
In Victoria, in Docklands, not far from the Westgate bridge, but more than your $40k, although there might a bit bit leeway as it has been on the market since June (when I first saw it).
There is also one for sale in Pittwater with DBY, and there was one for sale in Adelaide but just sold.
here is a pic

Certainly can add my $0.02

They're a great boat as long as you're under 6ft tall as headroom is a weak point being a flush deck. Other than that fantastic liveaboard (wife and I lived through COVID on ours) because they are very roomy for their size and have reasonable sailing characteristics with the only real weakness, imo, being that windward pointing is not real great.

I would caution that the cheap ones usually have water damaged interiors because they have opening portlights in the hull and they can also leak through the hull deck joint, especially where the freeing ports have been routed out during manufacture. Ours had eight big solid bronze opening portlights with deadlights, but over the years water invariably gets in and slowly damages the interior woodwork which can include structural components like the bulkheads and even electrical wiring and switching adjacent to the portlights. This can take considerable work to make good (don't ask me how I know). On the plus side, they have an encapsulated keel which has been shaped to deflect off most things it grounds against, the hull is purportedly laid with at least a couple of layers of vinylester resin so you shouldn't see any osmosis in one and the decks are solid glass reinforced with foam encapsulated stringers except for structural areas like the jib tracks and anchor winch.

Come to think of it, I probably should have suggested one!
Reefmagnet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 12:11   #12
Marine Service Provider

How about a Newport 41 located in Hawaii. Hull is solid glass layup to deck. Single spreader mast (San Francisco rig) keel stepped. Up sized standing rig. New mainsail. Needs some new electronics. Needs a bottom job which I will pay for. USD35,500. Jack 1-808-262-6230.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 08:59   #13

Good Spotting 'HankOnthewater', Unfortunately the money tree gets pretty thin north of $50k...I've been reminded that I only have 2 kidneys to sell!

The 'Newport 41' looks excellent 'jmschmidt', big fan of the Keel Stepped mast and a true Blue Water boat. Location and my lack of offshore experience makes it interesting! PM for more information Sent.

Tags
liveaboard, offshore, yacht