Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2022, 17:45   #16

Re: Aluminum Centerboard 47-60' / 15-18m

[QUOTE=sososails;3584785..
I had come across the Good Hope 56 when researching a South African builder about another boat before, and was immediately in awe. What an absolute unit. Thanks for this suggestion, as I had not looked into Bestevaers much yet. It seems, they have only been built since the mid 2000s and (judging by one current listing of a 56 for $900K) are unfortunately out of our budget.
...[/QUOTE]

The Good Hope 56 boats are interesting. I think there have been six built at this point. The last one I know about was built at K&M last year, I think. The boat was only the hull, and it was transported to Ireland to be finished out. I think 3 of the 5/6 Good Hope 56s that have been built were finished by the owners.

I have not checked recently but there was a South African Good Hope 56 for sale in Grenada. It was finished out by the owners.

The Bestevaers come up for sale. Check the K&M website since they often market the boats they have built.

Later,
Dan
dannc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 17:47   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constellation49 View Post
My wife and I started building our pivoting centerboard yacht in 2016 completion date is 2026. We based it off one of the more familiar French designed yachts. It’s been a struggle and a joy all in one.

We also found it hard to locate the exact boat we wanted. Since we had time until our set sail date we decided to build.
Looks really good! The temptation to build our own boat has been very strong..... But we have resisted. AL is such a good material to use for a home build....

Later,
Dan
dannc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 17:54   #18

Boat: Constellation49

Yes it does look similar. My wife designed it with a French Naval architect assisting her. She designed it with Orca 3d in the drawing program Rhino. She has the majority of it in cut files. Thus far the only two things we haven’t performed ourselves is machining the shafts for rudder and propeller.

There are many differences from the yacht you mentioned more work boat design with larger cleats and useable toe rails.

Video below is of me turning the hull a few years ago.

Constellation49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 17:59   #19

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

Oh, you guys are literally building it yourselves. Very nice! Do you have a welding background?
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 18:04   #20

I have a Garcia 55 CC if that interest you let me know.
Gilouli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 18:33   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

I have been thinking about selling my 63 ft ,similar to a meta,10mm plating, 5 cabins, pilot house and center cockpit,needs a refit and keel would need changing back to lifting,but price would reflect ,excellent yard nearby that could undertake any modification.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...cture12074.jpg

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...cture12073.jpg

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...icture7759.jpg
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 05:33   #22

I cross Atlantic 6 times with centerboard Aluminum boat and will not do it with any other type of boat, never had a jam in 25 years of sailing.
Gilouli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 15:27   #23

Boat: American Fiberglass 18'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
The hardest find on your list is the center cockpit with forward helm. I assume by this you mean a cockpit layout like the Amel's have. There are definitely some boats out there like this, but it's one more oddity that narrows down your list...

Yes, that is precisely what I mean.

I realize, I may not have been clear enough in my wording (English is not my first language), as I was trying to say that some of the points are preferences, not must haves.

We would obviously love to have all boxes ticked, but the firm requirements are the aluminium hull, headroom >2'4" or 195cm, adjustable draft (would consider twin keels), and 3 cabins. And who knows, down the road some of these may even become negotiable. Owners aft cabin, forward helm as you described above or another relatively protected helm solution, sugar scoop or similar are preferred, or nice to haves.

Thanks for the links you shared, some are close to what we are looking for, but sadly they are not quite right for us. Though, we are planning to do some high latitude sailing, I can't shake the feeling that some expedition yachts seem a bit overkill for other cruising grounds.

Since you are looking for a similar boat, what are your plans?
Cheers,
So
sososails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 15:46   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
I have not checked recently but there was a South African Good Hope 56 for sale in Grenada. It was finished out by the owners.

The Bestevaers come up for sale. Check the K&M website since they often market the boats they have built.

Dan, thanks so much for the feedback! KMY website has been added to favorites, and will be visited frequently from now on I believe, I found the expired listing of the Good Hope in Grenada.

Cheers,
So
Old 02-03-2022, 15:49   #25

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

It's hard to give you too much advice without knowing the top of your budget, but from things you've said here, I'm guessing most of the suggestions so far are above it. I'm not actively looking anymore, I bought my boat a year and a half ago. These days, I tend to just keep an eye out for any interesting new listings. I ended up compromising on a couple things, primarily on the aluminum hull and the draft. I decided that I'd rather get a boat now (then) and get started in cruising, and perhaps if it makes sense in the future, swap out for an aluminum expedition boat. There's a lot of cruising that can be done with a fin keeled fiberglass boat. I will likely never take this boat to the Bahamas though, and the Chesapeake and ICW are out also.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 16:01   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constellation49 View Post
My wife and I started building our pivoting centerboard yacht in 2016 completion date is 2026. We based it off one of the more familiar French designed yachts. It’s been a struggle and a joy all in one.

We also found it hard to locate the exact boat we wanted. Since we had time until our set sail date we decided to build.

I am so very impressed. Working in construction management, I feel like I can guess a fraction of the stress and the reward that comes with such a project. How nerve wrecking it must have been to turn it! It'ss fascinating to see how light weight she must be, relatively speaking.

We hope to be building our own down the road, as well. May I ask, how many boats you have sailed/owned before you decided to start your own build?

Thanks for sharing your photos and video!
So
Old 07-03-2022, 07:17   #27

You might consider something like this.

https://distantshores.ca/about-us/the-boats/page/
dougkimmerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 07:29   #28

Boat: Schionnings, Wilderness, 45

https://www.flickr.com/photos/146500...7675368141552/

designed by a very clever French naval architect. Designed over 40years ago. They build 5 of them.

I owned it for 28 years, sailed over 100k. over 50% single handed.
Carl1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 09:07   #29

Boat: twinkeels, 9m

for sale by a french sailor in spain:
https://www.maritima-courtage.fr/ann...adeira-46-alu/

./.
bil56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 12:43   #30

I am excited to see this boat once completed. It looks minimalistic, yet with all the frills. Seems like a great take at balancing the two.

We are not looking to build a new boat as of yet. I would love another 5-10 years under the belt, before I feel comfortable for the commitment of a new built.

Thanks for the link!

Tags
centerboard, aluminum