Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2022, 13:57   #31

Boat: Alubat Ovni 56
Re: Aluminum Centerboard 47-60' / 15-18m

Aluminum hull 55 ft from Garcia, centre coqpit, centreboard, shoal draft, and cutter rig.
Asking $300,000.

Advertised on this very forum right now.
Fatboypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 01:58   #32

Boat: Presto 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
Under no circumstances would we build or own a centerboard for high latitude sailing. Board jammed up or down seriously risks the vessel.
We spent a lot more money for twin keels because of this risk.
Captain Mark and his manatee crew .
On a well maintained boat, there should be no risk with a centerboard. The advantages of shallow draft if needed and the ability to adjust CLR far exceed the need for any additional maintenance issues. Incidentally, boats that can adjust their draft are the safest of all boats in breaking seas. Deep keel boats TRIP over deep keels. In 40 years of sailing centerboarders, I have never needed a drogue in severe seas.
Seabeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 06:21   #33

Boat: American Fiberglass 18'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bil56 View Post
I have seen this boat has been up for sale for a while. Unfortunately, it is not quite right for us. Thanks a lot for sharing it though!
sososails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 13:04   #34

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

I confess to being heavily biased but Sososails you might also consider a Reinke. Models with asymmetric twin keels rather than a drop down centerboard (although some Reikne do have drop down centre boards). Most have minimal draft and can be beached. Many have, or are being used as expedition vessels in high latitudes.

So you'll often find a dive compressor, huge tankage, heaters, insulated hulls, double glazing, heated wet locker, etc. An of course almost everything is welded rather than bolted.

Whilst not in Reinke’s designs, many owners have added on a sugar scoop. The boats design offered both tiller and forward cockpit wheel steer. So converting tiller steer to a forward wheel steer isn’t a huge job. The benefit of course is that should the wheel steering fail you can bolt on the old tiller.

Reinkes and Metas share much in common. Agricultural looking hard chine, usually with unpainted hull freeboards, admittedly not the nicest looking boats, but functional, super strong and with huge carrying capacities. But Reinkes don’t enjoy the same resale value and so cheaper ones do come up. I think that that is because internal fit outs were often made by Reinke owners themselves (and some weren't to fussy).

Anyway here’s an example of a Reinke 16M (56 odd feet) for sale in Poland that I think is pretty good value. https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/201...-16-m-6701893/

It also strikes me (if you’ve not seen these) that you might gain from a series of you tube videos from Alluring Artic Sailing. In the example below Juno takes the viewer through their Meta ‘Arktika’. It’s not so much the up personal with a Meta I'm recommending, rather seeing the features and facilities and little cool things that such a boat has incorporated. I have a Reinke Super 10 and most of those little cool items (and some big ones) are incorporated in my own boat. Juno does NOT own the boat and so doesn’t offer her up as the love of his life that such vids typically do.

It’s a very difficult process to buy a large complex yacht. And choices are remarkably few unless you’re willing to spend considerable money in travel/accommodation just to go see advertised yachts. And of course the difficulties of buying a yacht in a foreign country (or another continent) give rise to significant logistical issues. I mean the yacht isn’t where you want her to be, Also you don’t know the local players like brokers, surveyors, engineers, riggers, sailing friends, plus the yacht’s reputation etc. And the sale itself may require the help of a lawyer to navigate tax and local legal issues. And you’re often very short of time, with the hotel charges clicking daily. As an aside it’s something I’ve hardly seen discussed here on Cruiser Forum. But buying a yacht in another country poses many challenges.

But good luck in your quest Sosoails. Very keen to hear, as I’m sure many forum members that have posted to your thread are, in what you eventually settle on.

The Meta Yachts Arktika:
Old 08-03-2022, 14:43   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I believe there will be a 65’ aluminum ketch coming for sale in St Martin shortly. It is a BIG boat. The Owner is a bit older, the boat got stuck in Trinidad for Covid. What I heard was he is putting it on a mooring in St. Martin under a care taker and listing it.

I honestly don’t recall the keel type.

Large pilot house, large saloon/galley. 3 cabins forward, one aft.

I find length listings can be misleading, some provide LOA vs LOD and that can add 5 or 6 feet to a description.

It belongs to a friend of a friend.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 10:51   #36

Thanks so much for this insightful reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
I confess to being heavily biased but Sososails you might also consider a Reinke. ... An of course almost everything is welded rather than bolted. ... Reinkes and Metas share much in common. Agricultural looking hard chine, usually with unpainted hull freeboards, admittedly not the nicest looking boats, but functional, super strong and with huge carrying capacities.

Really appreciate your opinion here. We have been going back and forth on the Reinke in the past. They do look a bit more "agricultural" Btw. I love the expression. I think I actually only heard it before in the Alluring Artic Sailing channel and it is so on point it cracked me up.

Quote:
But Reinkes don’t enjoy the same resale value and so cheaper ones do come up. I think that that is because internal fit outs were often made by Reinke owners themselves (and some weren't to fussy).

Super interesting. As is the listing in Poland, especially since that boat is practically new. Happy to hear your arguments in favor of the Reinkes and adding them to our short list.

Quote:
It also strikes me (if you’ve not seen these) that you might gain from a series of you tube videos from Alluring Artic Sailing.
Already following them since recently! I assume you heard of the trip that was planned through the Arctic ice and to the North Pole by the previous owners of Arktika? Pretty intense.

Appreciate the insight you offer in the paragraph about purchasing. We are also worried about complications, so it would be fantastic if we were able to find a boat that is either near us (currently in North America) or at least already registered under a US or EU flag (I am European). I, too, would be curious to hear more stories and experiences, maybe I will make a post about that.

I will make sure to update this thread when we have found our boat
Old 09-03-2022, 11:27   #37

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by sososails View Post
Super interesting. As is the listing in Poland, especially since that boat is practically new. Happy to hear your arguments in favor of the Reinkes and adding them to our short list.
This boat is really nice looking. I don't know if it has any appreciable deck storage, which is a big requirement of mine. It looks like it has a chain locker forward, but not a storage locker like a forepeak sail locker. It seems like it might have a lazarette aft of the master cabin, but it's hard to say if it is a useful size from the photos. My biggest problem with it, and the reason I didn't go take a look at it when I was searching in 2020 is the helm placement. It's totally exposed and really raised up, I'm not a fan of it.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2022, 15:24   #38

Have you seen this:
https://veroblue4.wixsite.com/my-site-1

Dutch pedigree custom Heesen alum cutter.
High latitude a true all weather short hander......
Let me know.
Trueblue4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2022, 15:37   #39

Beautiful boat, but 71ft is pretty big. I think it would hard to get insurance without a fulltime professional captain.
Old 13-04-2022, 15:42   #40

Not unless you are chartering.

I run it with my wife. Think of it as a 40 footer in front of you and a 30 footer behind you. She's very sea kindly.

Good luck.
Old 13-04-2022, 15:46   #41

Interesting, how much are you asking?
Old 13-04-2022, 15:55   #42

Listed at $850k.
Old 14-04-2022, 09:33   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueblue4 View Post
Have you seen this:
https://veroblue4.wixsite.com/my-site-1

Dutch pedigree custom Heesen alum cutter.
High latitude a true all weather short hander......
Let me know.

Thanks for the link! It's a beauty but unfortunately too big for us.
Old 24-04-2022, 07:56   #44

Boat: Creala 40 Pilothouse

Maybe a bit off topic, but this pre-swan beauty has a folding keel, is 64’ and is $275k.

Unfortunately it draws 7.5’ with the board up!

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/197...or-64-7003638/
Trust is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
centerboard, aluminum