Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2017, 16:06   #16

Boat: Lagoon 42
Re: Leopard 45 or 40?

We were looking at the Leopard 45. We chartered the Leopard 40 and really liked the boat, the door leading up to the bow makes for a great layout. And the 45 adds that nice lounging area up front that the 40 doesn't. Our thought was if you are going the direction of a big comfortable cursing catamaran that bow lounging area was a big step up from the 40. If price isn't a real pain point isn't bigger better?

As mentioned above can you get a ICW mast?

We ultimately went with the Lagoon 42 and found a huge amount of space under the port forward cabin bed. Not sure what other cats do with this area, it is a lot of space. Access is not convenient but if the Leopard 40 has as similar design it may help with the space issue?
nextis12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 04:53   #17

Boat: Leopard 48

A while back we had chartered a 41' FP and were out in 40+ knot winds and very confused 8' seas. It was rough enough that it cleared every counter on the boat. While everyone else on the boat was having issues with the motion she went down below and took a nap to stay dry and out of the crowded saloon. I feel comfortable with her being able to handle any size we choose from a motion perspective.

I realize even with the 48' she (we) will probably manage to fill every space. The more room, the more she isn't willing to part with. The published weight of the new 40 is just over 23,000 and the 45 is way up to 32,000. I dread the idea of having to overfill and unbalance a smaller cat, hoping the larger model would alleviate that to some degree?

The 42' Lagoon has a great amount of storage. It was on our list as it has a beam of 25', even wider than the 45' Leopard. The port forward berth will be gutted in any boat we choose and made as workshop/storage. Only one guest cabin on our boat, can't have too many visitors at one time.
Inexorable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 05:47   #18

Boat: (hopefully) 44 Leopard
pirate Re: Leopard 45 or 40?

Hello there!

Both are GREAT boats!

If the budget will allow it,,no question the 45 is the boat! And gives you the option to cross the big pond more comfortably if you should decide in future!

We ordered the 45 in October!! Get it her in July!

Hope to see you on the hook some day!

Cheers
Sandy
Candyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 16:32   #19

Boat: Aloha 34

I'm going to buck the trend, and suggest that if your wife is happy with the 40, get the 40. Ongoing costs will be less everywhere with the 40, and It's already crossed the Atlantic to reach you, as all Leopards are delivered on their own bottoms. I doubt you would be much safer or that much more comfortable on the 45 than on the 40. Really, you should get onto both and see how each sails, and decide from there. If $ is no object, meh... get the 45. If it is of concern, then it sounds like the 40 would be the better bet.

*the forward lounge on the larger cat does look very inviting Good luck either way!
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 20:07   #20

Boat: Leopard 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2climbing View Post
Glad you enjoyed it! We probably saw each other. My wife and I were there both Saturday and Sunday. BTW, we chartered a L40 in the Bahamas a year ago so we've actually spent a bit of time with the boat. There's very little storage in the cockpit - a small lazarette along the rear of the settee which contains the life raft with a small amount of extra space, a small lazarette (maybe 4' deep X 3' X 3') to the left when facing the doorway to the salon, a propane locker opposite the previous lazarette and a bit of storage on a shelf above the battery compartment under the forward bench seat in the cockpit settee. In the salon there are three good sized storage bins under the sole and a fair amount of storage under both sides of the settee seating. There's also a bit of storage inside of the nav station seat. Hope that helps. Regards, Manson

Manson
Manson Thank you for allowing us on your boat as well. My wife and I were down from Atlanta trying to decide which Cat would work for us. We met 2 other couples anxiously awaiting for their L40. I was very impressed with your boat and I am sure you can't wait! Hope to see you on the water! Cheers
Robert
robertk445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 02:46   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Miura 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
I'm going to buck the trend, and suggest that if your wife is happy with the 40, get the 40. Ongoing costs will be less everywhere with the 40, and It's already crossed the Atlantic to reach you, as all Leopards are delivered on their own bottoms. . . . .

Very few, if any Leopards, cross the Atlantic on their own bottoms these days, unless the owner takes handover in Cape Town and sails it across themselves. Most are now shipped as deck cargo. If you take delivery in Cape Town, it may be advisable to hire a delivery skipper to go with on the crossing. It is an interesting trip and a good shakedown for the boat.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 05:00   #22

Boat: Leopard 39 Owners Version

Does the Leopard 40 come with the same little motor that the 39 came with? Sometimes I feel a bit underpowered with the twin 29's. I can't imagine the 40 in same conditions with the same engine. If there's an upgrade to bigger engines, get 'em.
Privleoplag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 05:07   #23

Boat: Leopard 39 Owners Version

I do like the 40 though, almost traded up for one. But, like every boat, some things you like, and some things you don't.
Privleoplag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 06:07   #24

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Leopards delivered by ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
It's already crossed the Atlantic to reach you, as all Leopards are delivered on their own bottoms
All R&C Leopard Catamarans are delivered by ship now days. BVI and Miami, FL are there main stops for deliveries.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Leopard-Catamarans-Nice.jpg
Views:	640
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	142001  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 08:13   #25

Boat: Lagoon 50

I wonder why they no longer deliver on their own bottom? It's far more costly to ship on the deck than by delivery crew. Perhaps the new vintage is not up to a pleasant down wind sail? There has to be a better reason than that.
warren460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 09:17   #26

Boat: 2009 Leopard 37 Powercat
Leopard 45 or 40?

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren460 View Post
I wonder why they no longer deliver on their own bottom? It's far more costly to ship on the deck than by delivery crew. Perhaps the new vintage is not up to a pleasant down wind sail? There has to be a better reason than that.

These days I do not believe it's "far" cheaper for a three man crew to take 40 days to deliver.

And in the case of my Leopard, which is a power cat and was indeed driven all the way to Marsh Harbour, my engines had over 600 hours on each one before it even arrived. There's a big cost in that much wear. I do realize sail rigs may be different in that respect.

Then after you factor in the time delay of 40 days at 6 knots versus the big ships' 20+ knots, it might be true that "time is money".

Lastly, those are 14 new boats pictured on that ship. 14 delivery crews equals 42 men, and the typical nuisance of managing contracted delivery crews might be a factor too.
David Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 09:29   #27

Boat: Lagoon 50

I was quoted around 20k for a delivery of a lagoon 450 to bvi from La Rochelle and far far more for delivery by cargo ship.
warren460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 09:29   #28

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

My wife and I had the same discussion at the Miami sailboat show. We currently own a 37.5 Hunter Legend mono Hall that is 27 years old. She loved the 45. The main reason for the 45 from her perspective was a forward facing Galley. All of the other catamarans haven't asked facing Galley and she has experience cooking underway and much prefers to be facing forward while preparing meals on her way.

From the Voyage in perspective, the tank is on the 45 is nearly 30% more across the board. There is much more fuel, much more water, and larger storage areas. The differences between the 45 and 48 tankage wise, is 0.

From my perspective, The increased Fuel and water capacity on the 45 as well as the forward facing galley make it the winter. In addition the 45 has the front porch and the 40 does not. My wife very much enjoyed the ability to have an actual front porch area versus just a place to lay out in the sun as it was configured on the 40.

For us, the 45 is our next boat as we upgrade from our monohull.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 09:42   #29

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

I apologize for the typos. I dictated and sent the message without proofreading. It's bad form on my part.

The summary is that my wife prefers a forward facing Galley not an aft facing galley. Tank capacities on the 45 are 30% greater than on the 40. This would enable more living at anchor and grater distances to Journey. The 45 has a designated front porch area and the 40 only had Sun lounging mats in the bow.

My wife really loved the 45. The draft issue for me is a wash because my current vessel required 5 foot draft. Also, as a mano whole family, 8 knots would be fantastic.

At the end of it all, I want to spend as much time with my wife as possible on the water. If this is the boat she loves, and we can live our Dream together, it is a done deal. We are predominantly Coastal Cruisers. Our home Port is in the Chesapeake Bay. I anticipate going from the Chesapeake Bay in the fall to Florida and or the Bahamas in the winter and then back again. I expect that we will make an occasional trip to the British Virgin Islands, as well.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 18:58   #30

Boat: Leopard 48

It does seem that if there was a large number to be delivered at once (like 20+ being sold at a show) the cargo ship makes sense. I do realize even without all the show orders they are freighted to the BVIs and then sailed to the final destination. Does that necessarily mean they aren't seaworthy?

The tankage is a good point and one we hadn't taken into consideration like we should have. I've pushed my wife to attempt to downsize her closet and see which model would work. Seems to me we may be in line for a new 45 judging by the trouble she is having with that task
Inexorable is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leopard, leopard 45