Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2017, 11:15   #46

Re: Leopards delivered by ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyman1122 View Post
I recently had the chance to look through a 48. One thing I really noticed was how narrow the passageway was in each hull.
Was it less than the L46?
CatDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 11:37   #47

Re: Leopards delivered by ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatDream View Post
Was it less than the L46?
Unsure as have not been on a L46. I am a big guy and found the 48 much more cramped than I anticipated. I am considering a Lagoon 450S but have yet to find the time to look at one in person. I would really like a St Francis 50 MK2 but not sure on how to stretch my budget that far.
rallyman1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 06:50   #48

Boat: (hopefully) 44 Leopard
Re: Leopard 45 or 40?

The 45 is a much better layout then the older 48 style.( brand new this yr on the 45)

The 45 has considerably more sail area ( then even the 44') and needs the slightly deeper draft for better performance. Good trade off.

Cheers
Paul
Candyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 09:21   #49

Boat: Pogo 10,50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman View Post
The 45 is a much better layout then the older 48 style.( brand new this yr on the 45)

The 45 has considerably more sail area ( then even the 44') and needs the slightly deeper draft for better performance. Good trade off.

Cheers

Paul

The question about the narrow hulls remain as Leopard are not performance oriented and larger hulls would allow less draft and more comfort, without killing the little performance it can achieve as demonstrated by some other brands. Plus I may be wrong but I doubt the hull design obey some sail area obligations

Cheers
CbroTheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 09:25   #50
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Leopard 45 or 40?

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren460 View Post
I was quoted around 20k for a delivery of a lagoon 450 to bvi from La Rochelle and far far more for delivery by cargo ship.
Pays to shop around a bit..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 09:40   #51

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

When I was at the sailboat show and I commented on the narrow hulls. They told me they were focusing on performance with this model. They told me that if they were to widen the hull for the sake of having a full walk around queen berth, the boat would lose approximately 1.5 knots of sailing speed. So.... They chose to go with a better sailing vessel.

As a side note, my wife and I loved the leopard 45.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 09:57   #52

Boat: (hopefully) 44 Leopard
pirate Re: Leopard 45 or 40?

Any questions about the L45 performance, google youtube video of Leopard 45 with Commentary by Alex Simone! ( The X naval architect who designed the L45)

Boat performs very well and has best overall layout in Galley and salon,,IMA could have shaved a little in the hall up to the Master bed to give wider opening, but would have sacrificed the extra storage,,so trade off..

But for sure the 45 has more sail area the the 44' and performance is good, but does have lil more draft.

I spent actually a good 1.5 hours with Alex at the Annapolis show and he explained in detail the whys and what ifs of the design, how the sea trials went, his personal video's of the trials, etc.

Everyone loves different features,,but for our likings (not experienced sailers) the L 45 is beautiful boat!

Best wishes!
Paul & Sandy
Candyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 11:31   #53

Boat: Aloha 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensolomon View Post
When I was at the sailboat show and I commented on the narrow hulls. They told me they were focusing on performance with this model. They told me that if they were to widen the hull for the sake of having a full walk around queen berth, the boat would lose approximately 1.5 knots of sailing speed. So.... They chose to go with a better sailing vessel.

As a side note, my wife and I loved the leopard 45.

Be careful with what "they" say. The last boat show I went to, I asked one of the sales people about some significant flex I noticed in a ridgid bimini, and he stated "what doesn't flex, breaks". Maybe he was trying to blow me off, but it was about the stupidest comment I have heard. They also could not answer me on where the tankage was located. "They" are there to sell you boats, and like car sales people, often know little about the product beyond the pamphlet rhetoric.

I think what that sales person told you was akin to a minivan salesman telling you that their narrower passenger compartment was strategically there to improve the van's 0-60 times.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 12:16   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman View Post
Any questions about the L45 performance, google youtube video of Leopard 45 with Commentary by Alex Simone! ( The X naval architect who designed the L45)

Boat performs very well and has best overall layout in Galley and salon,,IMA could have shaved a little in the hall up to the Master bed to give wider opening, but would have sacrificed the extra storage,,so trade off..

But for sure the 45 has more sail area the the 44' and performance is good, but does have lil more draft.

I spent actually a good 1.5 hours with Alex at the Annapolis show and he explained in detail the whys and what ifs of the design, how the sea trials went, his personal video's of the trials, etc.

Everyone loves different features,,but for our likings (not experienced sailers) the L 45 is beautiful boat!

Best wishes!
Paul & Sandy
I wonder how the L45 compares to the L46 or L48? In terms of sail area?
CatDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 12:33   #55

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
Be careful with what "they" say. The last boat show I went to, I asked one of the sales people about some significant flex I noticed in a ridgid bimini, and he stated "what doesn't flex, breaks". Maybe he was trying to blow me off, but it was about the stupidest comment I have heard. They also could not answer me on where the tankage was located. "They" are there to sell you boats, and like car sales people, often know little about the product beyond the pamphlet rhetoric.

I think what that sales person told you was akin to a minivan salesman telling you that their narrower passenger compartment was strategically there to improve the van's 0-60 times.
Yours is a voice of reason. My eagerness to own a leopard 45 can certainly cloud my judgment. I also want to believe that what I'm told is the truth.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 05:10   #56

Boat: PT-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatDream View Post
I wonder how the L45 compares to the L46 or L48? In terms of sail area?
Maybe its an older model, but there is data about a Leopard 45, as well as the 46 and 48, at this very helpful site.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 22:17   #57

Boat: Leopard 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensolomon View Post
My wife and I had the same discussion at the Miami sailboat show. We currently own a 37.5 Hunter Legend mono Hall that is 27 years old. She loved the 45. The main reason for the 45 from her perspective was a forward facing Galley. All of the other catamarans haven't asked facing Galley and she has experience cooking underway and much prefers to be facing forward while preparing meals on her way.

From the Voyage in perspective, the tank is on the 45 is nearly 30% more across the board. There is much more fuel, much more water, and larger storage areas. The differences between the 45 and 48 tankage wise, is 0.

From my perspective, The increased Fuel and water capacity on the 45 as well as the forward facing galley make it the winter. In addition the 45 has the front porch and the 40 does not. My wife very much enjoyed the ability to have an actual front porch area versus just a place to lay out in the sun as it was configured on the 40.

For us, the 45 is our next boat as we upgrade from our monohull.
AMEN! perfectly stated!
robertk445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 22:28   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inexorable View Post
It does seem that if there was a large number to be delivered at once (like 20+ being sold at a show) the cargo ship makes sense. I do realize even without all the show orders they are freighted to the BVIs and then sailed to the final destination. Does that necessarily mean they aren't seaworthy?

The tankage is a good point and one we hadn't taken into consideration like we should have. I've pushed my wife to attempt to downsize her closet and see which model would work. Seems to me we may be in line for a new 45 judging by the trouble she is having with that task

So you would buy a Mercedes from the local dealer on the East coast and let the car be driven across the USA to the West Coast, having 3000 miles on it when you get your new Mercedes? Don't think so! Leopards on the ship make perfect sense!

Cheers!
Old 02-06-2017, 12:34   #59
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inexorable View Post
For some reason FP and Lagoon place the props aft of the rudder,
Every time I see that I shake my head
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 15:28   #60

Sandy that day is getting closer and closer for you! Looking forward to it! Cheers!

Tags
leopard, leopard 45