Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2012, 15:32   #16

Boat: PC44 Beach Marine Sailing Cat
Re: Leopard 39 base price...

With all due respect to Catabroker, I am an Australian citizen and make my living by import and export.
None of my questions were actually answered except with smoke and mirrors.
As I deal a lot with China I find it difficult to get them to read something that is not in point form, maybe us Aussie speak a different english to the rest of the world.
1 - I was born at night - but not last night,
2 - GSt (tax) in Aus is 10%
3 - Import duty on a yacht is 5%
4 - Not sure how that equals 25%
5 - South Africa has the same voltage as Aus and I know for a fact that the 110V wiring conversion is a matter of replacing the terminal outlet points and as someone said is "marginally" more expensive than 110V
6 - I was requesting a price to collect at RCYC (Royal Cape yacht Club) Cape Town South Africa to start a around the world cruise.
7 - By doing this the vessel would be exempt from tax until I arrived at the final destination and "imported" it - by then it would be second hand and "valued" at a lot less,
8 - By collecting I am doing my own "delivery" so no delivery charges no matter how "far" the destination is
9 - I fully understand that R&C probably make 95% of thier profit from charter operations and salute them on that, maybe private buyers are just a pain in the royal keel then.
10 - I had to find a point 10 because I am running out of thoughts and it is crazy to stop on point number 9!

Anyway chaps back to business, the GFC (which I refuse to partake in) and the watching of the forums and ridiculous answers at times that read like a comedy novel, gives some of us a great chuckle.

So Catabroker take care and dont worry as I have decided it is easier to buy somewhere else maybe second hand and spend the $300K differnece to live and cruise on for now and still keep the original difference in the kitty.

Fair winds and keep the shiny side up
Peterbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 15:45   #17
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Easy to convert from 110 to 220 as the wiring for the 110 has to be considerably larger. My point that wiring a boat for 220 would be less expensive was based on the fact the wiring could be much smaller in diameter. And I'm sure in a boat like a Leopard 39 there is quite a bit of wiring!
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 17:23   #18

I totally agree with you it "basically" should be less expensive to wire 220V. But facts are facts and the factory wires according to the country of destination normally so they would be equipped to wire at time of build.
BUT like you say if it is wired 110V then in fact the wiring would be "over spec" as it is "larger" so why would you pull your wire (?) out and replace with smaller - you just change the outlet and inlet points with 220v receptacles - but then that is probably too easy....
Smoke and Mirrors mate.... and welcome to Australia the capital of regulation, control and CH rules. Some countries in fact are loath to supply product to Aus as our "laws" are so different to the rest of the world - we have more rules and regulations to keep people employed in protected jobs than even the US of A!
Chuckle
Old 15-10-2012, 22:35   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterbee View Post
1 - I was born at night - but not last night,
I know where you're coming from. At the end of the day an importer can ask any price they like and there is no need to justify it. It's the "free market".
Obviously Leopard, and most other production catamaran importers in Australia seem to be opting for the "high margin, low turnover" business model. In the USA. I'd speculate that the importers rely on lower margin per unit, but turn over more units per year in order to make a viable profit. Nothing we Aussies can do about that except go and buy overseas and import ourselves, usually by sailing back home. Hundreds of yachts are being bought each year into australia this way. There are potential pitfalls doing this for sure, but the majority of Aussies buying overseas seem happy with the results.
So, Peterbee, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. It sounds like you have already come to this conclusion.
My tip or personal preference, if buying South African cats, is to avoid low bridgedeck clearance designs and those with balsa below the waterline, as that worries me. It also doesn't leave many to choose from.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2012, 22:03   #20

Sure have booked my flights etc today. May need crew soon to bring her home! Thanks for all the banter and btw will save around $250k for extras and that leaves heaps to cruise on. But then again I suppose I could have bought a "composite wood and epoxy home built" with outboards for about $300k and claimed I proudly bought Aus! When it comes to $$$$ I worked hard for it and will spend it where I get the most value!
Old 17-10-2012, 04:33   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterbee View Post
I suppose I could have bought a "composite wood and epoxy home built" with outboards
Some of those might surprise you, especially the Schionnings, as they are light, comfortable and fast. However it depends on whose home they were built at, as some are works of art, far superior to production boats in quality, but others are a disaster, a waste of balsa and epoxy! The latter ruining the reputation of the former.
Value is in the eye of the beholder and one thing for sure is that we'll maintained production models usually sell easier, quicker and for more money than the home built ones. This is my observation of the Australian market, at least.

Peterbee, please keep the forum informed regarding your international cat hunt, and good luck.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leopard, price