Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2022, 23:47   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 349
San Diego to Catalina Route

Wife and I are looking to do our first trip to Catalina from San Diego. Seems that many people do stops along the way with Oceanside seeming the most sensible but we are debating doing an overnight, which would also be a first for us. For those that have done this route or have done both, any feedback would be great.
Letterkenny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2022, 08:51   #2

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
San Diego to Catalina Route

Letterkenny, it is about 90 miles depending on where in San Diego you are starting from. Be sure to clear Point Loma, the rocks and the kelp bed. Pass the green 5 buoy at least. If you want and overnight experience you can motor-sail directly there. It is up wind and up current so figuring 5knots it will take you 18 hours or so. Many people do, as you said, choose to make harbor hops up the coast, then cross to the island and sail directly back from Catalina to San Diego. You can stop at Mission Bay, Oceanside, Dana Point, Newport Beach, Long Beach and San Pedro. So if you have a week you can stop and enjoy each harbor. If you want only one stop it is your choice of Oceanside or Dana Point.. I think Dana point is a nicer harbor, more room, free anchorage and easier to get into in most weather. But make your choice based on how long you want your first day to be.

The crossing from any of the harbors south of Long Beach will most often give you a route directly into the wind to get to Avalon or Two Harbors, so count on motoring. Even from Long Beach many people motor inside the breakwater to Angle’s Gate at San Pedro and sail across from there.

Since this is your first crossing plan your weather, don’t beat up your crew pounding into the swells, study the charts of each of the harbors so you have lots of bail out options. Remember that lots of people do this and you can too. Relax and enjoy the trip.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2022, 10:44   #3

Boat: Shannon 50 Ketch
Re: San Diego to Catalina Route

We've done this a half dozen times. Since our goal is always to maximize time relaxing at Catalina and not visiting Dana Point, we always make it an overnight. If you want you can go up the coast until the distance to Catalina can be done during daylight, given enough time.

This passage, at night, is usually a motor boat ride, and if it isn't, it's probably because a storm is coming through so maybe not a good time to go. If you've never done a night passage, this is an easy one to get started with - it's really not much more then a battle to stay awake amid the boredom of motoring in dead calm.

The one caveat I would add is there can be a lot of ship traffic so keep alert. I've also seen naval vessels operating without lights in this area.
jordanbigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2022, 11:28   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Letterkenny, it is about 90 miles depending on where in San Diego you are starting from. Be sure to clear Point Loma, the rocks and the kelp bed. Pass the green 5 buoy at least. If you want and overnight experience you can motor-sail directly there. It is up wind and up current so figuring 5knots it will take you 18 hours or so. Many people do, as you said, choose to make harbor hops up the coast, then cross to the island and sail directly back from Catalina to San Diego. You can stop at Mission Bay, Oceanside, Dana Point, Newport Beach, Long Beach and San Pedro. So if you have a week you can stop and enjoy each harbor. If you want only one stop it is your choice of Oceanside or Dana Point.. I think Dana point is a nicer harbor, more room, free anchorage and easier to get into in most weather. But make your choice based on how long you want your first day to be.

The crossing from any of the harbors south of Long Beach will most often give you a route directly into the wind to get to Avalon or Two Harbors, so count on motoring. Even from Long Beach many people motor inside the breakwater to Angle’s Gate at San Pedro and sail across from there.

Since this is your first crossing plan your weather, don’t beat up your crew pounding into the swells, study the charts of each of the harbors so you have lots of bail out options. Remember that lots of people do this and you can too. Relax and enjoy the trip.
I’ve actually done the crossing a couple times on a 34’ American Tug from San Pedro and Long Beach but it is a completely different animal coming from down south. Agreed on Dana Point being nicer. My rationale for Oceanside is that it’s less cumulative distance versus Dana Point. Need to research some of the currents but was hoping this would be a 12 hour trip based on my motor speed and planning for 16 hour crossing.
Old 27-03-2022, 11:32   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanbigel View Post
We've done this a half dozen times. Since our goal is always to maximize time relaxing at Catalina and not visiting Dana Point, we always make it an overnight. If you want you can go up the coast until the distance to Catalina can be done during daylight, given enough time.

This passage, at night, is usually a motor boat ride, and if it isn't, it's probably because a storm is coming through so maybe not a good time to go. If you've never done a night passage, this is an easy one to get started with - it's really not much more then a battle to stay awake amid the boredom of motoring in dead calm.

The one caveat I would add is there can be a lot of ship traffic so keep alert. I've also seen naval vessels operating without lights in this area.
Thanks for the naval vessel tip. Was planning on a long motor up and then hopefully a day sail starting at first light down in the summer flying the asymmetric and maybe motoring as well. I’ve been around in the harbor at night but just not off shore. Any general preferred departure times that you do? We do have radar and AIS to hopefully make the trip safer and easier to identify those unmarked navy ships.
Old 27-03-2022, 12:13   #6

Boat: Hunter 37 Cheribini

If traveling at night be sure to have a radar reflector up at the spreaders.

I've done the trip many times, it's always a motor sail up.

Stop at Dana Pt if you don't want to motor at night.

Wayne
Apollo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2022, 14:59   #7

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

I Think Dana Point has a FREE anchorage, and Long Beach has 50 buck moorings behind Island White.(maybe more now). It's only about 6 hours from White to Avalon. Go mid-week to Avalon, or else all the sport fishers will beat you to the moorings.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2022, 15:32   #8

Boat: Endeavour 32

listen for the “Pon Pon” alerts regarding war ship activity on channel 16. The Navy is pretty good at communicating their training exercises.
Compactorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2022, 16:20   #9

Boat: Catalina 320

Transient docks only at Oside, docks and 2 anchorages at Dana, east end by bait & fuel docks but closer to restaurants. West end is quiet and pretty, well protected but stay out from the breakwall at the corner. Oceanside can close in very high surf but it's rare, Dana entrance faces east and never closes.
Current is .5 to 1.5 downcoast depending on offshore winds and fronts, there is a Gyre when approaching the island that will give a short area of favorable current but it's weaker than the downcoast part.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2022, 16:28   #10

Boat: Bavaria 38E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterkenny View Post
Wife and I are looking to do our first trip to Catalina from San Diego. Seems that many people do stops along the way with Oceanside seeming the most sensible but we are debating doing an overnight, which would also be a first for us. For those that have done this route or have done both, any feedback would be great.
We’ve done the one-night stop at DP going San Diego to Two Harbors; have done an overnight going Avalon to San Diego on a different trip. You usually have easier motoring at night going up wind and swell (i.e., San Diego outbound) b/c the wind is usually, but not always, down at night. The trip from Dana Pt to Avalon is also typically a motor; about 40 n.mi. Personally we like visiting Dana Point by boat more than we like visiting Avalon—to tell the truth. A 72-hr free (west) anchorage, dinghy dock, pretty surroundings, generally not loud if not a weekend. I’d advise make the 60 n.mi. SD to Dana Point, stay a night or two anchored in the west basin, refuel, then on to Avalon for your period there. Then leave on whatever afternoon wind there might be if not from southerly quadrants, and sail until you can no longer achieve 4 kt of VMG. Motor the rest of the way, or until you find fair wind the next day and can regain your VMG.
Auklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2022, 17:03   #11

Interesting seeing so many going to Dana Point. Looks to be 60NM there from my slip vs 73NM to Avalon. That’s a 2.5 hour difference going straight there versus an extra 25-30nm and 5-6 hours If making the stop in Dana Point.
Old 27-03-2022, 18:36   #12

Boat: Bavaria 35E

Quote:
Interesting seeing so many going to Dana Point. Looks to be 60NM there from my slip vs 73NM to Avalon. That’s a 2.5 hour difference going straight there versus an extra 25-30nm and 5-6 hours If making the stop in Dana Point.
Overnight, non-stop seems best with all factors considered, especially gaining more time at Catalina. But the crew has to "up for it" so to speak - and AIS would be very helpful. At least you don't have to watch out for logs the way we do here in Puget Sound. That makes me pensive for any overnight transits.
nightowle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2022, 23:09   #13

Boat: Bavaria 38E

Quote:
After two nights on the hook in DP, it will seem like just starting out a new day, a new destination.
Auklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2022, 23:57   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auklet View Post
After two nights on the hook in DP, it will seem like just starting out a new day, a new destination.
I will be thinking about doing that at some point. Will ultimately depend on how much time I have for the trip. I have spent a lot of time in DP but not living off the hook there.
Old 28-03-2022, 14:03   #15

Boat: Beneteau 40.7

I've done this trip several times in multiple sailboats. From SD it is mostly motoring so take enough fuel for a round trip because the fuel price in Avalon is $$$$. The trip I enjoy most is motor direct to Avalon on Monday or Tuesday, getting an early start so I get in early enough to get a mooring for two nights. Check the Avalon web site for seasonal rules.

After a few days of doing Avalon stuff head for Two Harbors early AM, sailing or motoring. The trip takes 2-3 hours so get there by noon and get a mooring for the rest of your stay. As usual moorings are at a premium on weekends but if you are there before noon Friday you should be in luck. Again, Check their website in case the is a big event taking up the mooring field.
I really like Two Harbors. Everything you need, nothing you don't plus very easy going.
Heading back it is a fairly easy reach from TH to Oside, about 57 nm. Try to arrange a guest slip at Oside YC. I have found them very friendly.

After a night there it is about 45 nm into SD Bay.

If the sailing to SD is a bit much I suggest heading for Dana Point harbor. It is about 40 nm from TH and 33 nm from Avalon. From there it is a downhill run to Oside, Mission Bay or SD.

In Mission Bay there is an anchorage just inside the breakwater on the left in Mariner's Basin. There is enough water for most boats, but watch your depth. If you anchor in an open spot with no boats around you will be aground when the tide ebbs.
thunderhoof is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, route, san diego