Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2014, 15:06   #1

Sailing from mystic to Martha's Vineyard

This summer two friends and I are planning on sailing from the mystic river to Martha's Vineyard. Long Island sound and fishers island are notorious for not having wind. How is it once you get out passed block? Also I know watch hill passage can be difficult to navigate any advice?

The crash of waves and salty air are the signs of freedom
MermaidIndie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 06:14   #2

Boat: IP 370
Re: Sailing from mystic to Martha's Vineyard

Hiya, I sailed to the vineyard this summer for the first time but from Shelter Island NY. The conditions were fine past Block but windows will vary. I use Pocket Grib on my iPhone for wind direction and speed (along with other sources) and iNavX for navigation on my iPad which is really great. It or something like it along with reading any guides should help through areas like Watch Hill. Also a big consideration is the Race which is the current in and out of the Sound and Narraganset bay. Highly recommend a copy of The Eldrige for tide and current information. Check out Cuttyhunk if have a chance and like low key, out of the way places.
Tacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 06:51   #3

Boat: Valiant 40

In general you'll have better wind early summer or late fall, and the farther east you get the better your wind. I second getting and using Eldrige's, if only for the diagrams showing the current flows at different hours around the mouth of Long Island Sound. Will help you get through Watch Hill in terms of timing and route.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 15:28   #4

Boat: Bristol 29.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MermaidIndie View Post
This summer two friends and I are planning on sailing from the mystic river to Martha's Vineyard. Long Island sound and fishers island are notorious for not having wind. How is it once you get out passed block? Also I know watch hill passage can be difficult to navigate any advice?

We haven't sailed to Martha's Vineyard yet, but we have gone from Groton to Block Island twice in our two seasons of owning a sailboat. Like others have said, the wind is plentiful early and late in the season. Actually, we haven't experienced too many dead calm days at all during the summer, particularly as you head east.

As for Watch Hill Passage, it's not difficult to navigate as long as you check Eldridge to time the current. Lots more space than the other passages, like Wicopesset.

Have fun!
Cthoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 20:28   #5

Thanks for all the great advice, I will definitely be checking out that book. Luckily I grew up boating the fishers island sound area and know it like the back of my hand so navigation isn't really an issue. I will look at a later time for the trip or earlier in the season. Thank you!

MermaidIndie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing