Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2011, 12:01   #1

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Martha's Vineyard

I grew up on Martha's Vineyard, lived there for 23 years but didn't start sailing until I moved away. Ironically I have never sailed to or around Marha's Vineyard. I am just curious about people's cruising experiences with MV. Favorite anchorages things to do, places to see.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 12:38   #2

Vineyard haven is my favorite anchoring spot. It can take my 5 ft draft no problem and is typically less crowded than the others. The town is much less touristy than oak bluffs as I'm sure you know.

You can anchor in or grab a mooring for around $40 night.
Goceans09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 12:50   #3

Boat: Beneteau 34'
I don't recommend the moorings outside the breakwater in Vineyard Haven. The ferry goes right by there early in the mooring to late at night - and it violently rocks the boat.

Vineyard Haven also shuts down at about 6pm, the restaurants only serve beer and wine (and only then if you purchase a full meal! We tried to get apps and drinks and were denied).

Oak Bluffs is the center of more things to do and see.
Sailagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 13:40   #4

Boat: ex-Tartan 40
Re: Martha's Vineyard

I'm not a big fan of Vineyard Haven either. The anchorage is better than the outside moorings in terms of wakes. I haven't anchored inside the lagoon, but have heard it's even better. Moorings in the inner harbor are hard to come by.

Edgartown has a lot of good restaurants, but the current through the harbor is a couple of knots. Make sure your dinghy motor is working before you cut loose. Anchoring outside in a southerly is OK, but a long dinghy ride to town. We tend to pick up a mooring.

Lake Tashmoo on the west side of the island is a very quiet spot to hang out and has backside access to the town of Vineyard Haven.

I hear great things about Menemsha, but haven't stayed there myself.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 16:53   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Who's Martha? Why does she have moorings in her vineyard? She drink the produce, eh?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 17:09   #6

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest

Quote:
Originally Posted by tartansail View Post
Lake Tashmoo on the west side of the island is a very quiet spot to hang out and has backside access to the town of Vineyard Haven.
What more can you tell me about lake Tashmoo. It looks like it has plenty of water. I see alot of mooring balls in there, are they all private? Availalble? Is there room to anchor? Looks like a great spot
Old 18-08-2011, 17:45   #7

Boat: PETERSON 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ
Who's Martha? Why does she have moorings in her vineyard? She drink the produce, eh?
It's not Martha it's more like mawthaa drawl a tad and hint at the r but don't actually do r. I liked cuttyhunk muck more thent mawthaaa. The Elizabeth islands are great. Cuttyhunk I felt like i arrived in a genuine place. Vineyard I felt like a tourist. I worked on the vineyard for awhile and loved that. weird sailing back and finding I felt like a commodity. Cutteyhunk is kinda like we have some lobster and a tee shirt for sail otherwise everyone walks up that long hill takes pictures some come down and take more pictures and buy a tee shirt. There is the hill here is the tee shirt Next!!
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 18:02   #8

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest245 View Post
What more can you tell me about lake Tashmoo. It looks like it has plenty of water. I see alot of mooring balls in there, are they all private? Availalble? Is there room to anchor? Looks like a great spot
Tashmoo is very quiet and there is room to anchor. Moorings are all private. There is a dock on the east side where you can leave your dinghy and walk about a mile to Vineyard Haven. Very residential walk.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 18:04   #9

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

I'm a big fan of Cape Poge Bay. It's shallow, though, and you need to be careful when you go in and out, and where you anchor. But it's a beautiful wild unspoiled place. No restaurants or shops . . . Just calm water, bird life, good fishing, good swimming, long beaches. It does see a good bit of motorboat traffic during the day in high season, but they all gather within 100 yards of the entrance to the bay, and they all clear out before sundown and you have the place to yourself.

We have a ridiculously shallow draft (10") and no depth finder. We just go till we bump into shore. So I can't really report on depths. But I saw a large motor yacht come in fairly fast (i.e., not terribly worried) and anchor in the bay last week, and they must have drawn at least 4 feet. It's worth exploring the possibility.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 18:11   #10

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by tartansail View Post

I hear great things about Menemsha, but haven't stayed there myself.
Menemsha bight is a very nice spot so long as the direction of the wind has an S in it. Don't even think about anchoring in a westerly -- or anything with an N in it. The protected harbor is very small and not a good stop, IMHO. Access to Menemsha Pond is VERY tricky with strong currents and lots of shoals and should not be attempted except in small boats (e.g. dinghy) or with local knowledge on a rising tide.

Best is to anchor in the bight (sandy bottom, good holding) and dinghy into the little harbor to buy fresh fish (that's just come right off the boats) at the two markets that serve the commercial fishermen. They also sell cooked seafood and chowder to-go and you can enjoy it on the beach (paper picnic). There are public showers right there that take quarters and they're decent enough, cleaned at least once daily.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 18:30   #11

It is really interesting to hear someone describe your home town from a completely outside perspective. Kind of like listening to an ex boyfriend describe your wife.

I always wondered what the Menemsha/Quitsa pond anchoring situation was. Menemsha harbor is indeed small and the current can really whip through there. You also sometimes get punk kids (my friends) whipping lures at your boat as you go through there during derby season.

I have some other friends who I believe are living aboard in Lake Tashmoo. It looks really shoaly in there. It is a great place to bring a girl though or smoke some weed.

I never even dreamed of Cape Pogue Gut as being a desirable anchorage. It makes perfect sense though. It's amazing how far away you can get from everything while still being so close. Cape Pogue is ridiculously isolated from the rest of the Island. It could take up to 2 hours to drive back to town along the barrier beach from there.

The Vineyard Haven Lagoon is super nice but I don't know what the draw bridge situation is there right now. I know they have a spare bridge in there right now. I know sounds weird. Probably in the Local Notice to Mariners though. I weathered "The Perfect Storm" on that lagoon and watched as the Atlantic came up over the road and flooded the lagoon. I even got stuck knee deep in it as it poured in. Where the hell were my parents?

Amazing. Even though the Vineyard is completely blown out with tourists it is forever in my heart...big time.
Old 22-08-2011, 13:53   #12

Any thoughts on Vineyard Haven docks? Vineyard Haven Marina, Black Dog, etc?
SailAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 14:11   #13

Boat: Beneteau 34'
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailAR
Any thoughts on Vineyard Haven docks? Vineyard Haven Marina, Black Dog, etc?
The facilities at Vineyard Haven Marina looked okay. They is a small beach, bar, fuel dock, and restaurant. Also it's a short walk to all the downtown stuff.

They pack everyone in during the busy season though.
Sailagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 19:05   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailagain View Post
The facilities at Vineyard Haven Marina looked okay. They is a small beach, bar, fuel dock, and restaurant. Also it's a short walk to all the downtown stuff.

They pack everyone in during the busy season though.
FYI, I made out with one of the waitresses there once. They have nice waitresses.
Old 22-08-2011, 19:23   #15

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
It is really interesting to hear someone describe your home town from a completely outside perspective. Kind of like listening to an ex boyfriend describe your wife.

I always wondered what the Menemsha/Quitsa pond anchoring situation was. Menemsha harbor is indeed small and the current can really whip through there. You also sometimes get punk kids (my friends) whipping lures at your boat as you go through there during derby season.

I have some other friends who I believe are living aboard in Lake Tashmoo. It looks really shoaly in there. It is a great place to bring a girl though or smoke some weed.

I never even dreamed of Cape Pogue Gut as being a desirable anchorage. It makes perfect sense though. It's amazing how far away you can get from everything while still being so close. Cape Pogue is ridiculously isolated from the rest of the Island. It could take up to 2 hours to drive back to town along the barrier beach from there.

The Vineyard Haven Lagoon is super nice but I don't know what the draw bridge situation is there right now. I know they have a spare bridge in there right now. I know sounds weird. Probably in the Local Notice to Mariners though. I weathered "The Perfect Storm" on that lagoon and watched as the Atlantic came up over the road and flooded the lagoon. I even got stuck knee deep in it as it poured in. Where the hell were my parents?

Amazing. Even though the Vineyard is completely blown out with tourists it is forever in my heart...big time.
Been sailing to Menemsha since the 70s. The harbor is small but the town has a few of moorings for sailboats where they raft you up inside or you can get one outside in the Bight. You can also anchor outside unless it's blowing hard from the north quadrants. It's s dry town so bring your own brew. Great takeout food from Larsen's Fish Market. Used to be a real fishing port during the heyday of the swordboat fishery but now jammed with tourists. I hear they banned anchoring up in the pond because it soils the view of the rich and famous but that's where I'd want to be in a storm.
smurphny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
martha's vineyard