Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2024, 07:33   #1

Boat: Morgan 416 Dadidoc
Send a message via AIM to dadidoc
Passage Planning - Weather Window Analysis

I wanted to reach out to members of this community and ask how you do your own forecast, your own weather window analysis. I thought to create a weather analysis worksheet that looked at the extended and 7 day NOAA NWS resources, then align them to Predict Wind modelling to support a final result for departure planning. My questions to those out there with may more miles under your keel than me ...
  1. what is your process -sequentially, what resources do you use from NOAA ( like the synoptic charts showing fronts) - what are your steps
  2. do you have a "worksheet" where you record your results. Look for differences from the last forecast time slot interval (12, 24, 36 hrs,etc)
  3. How and when do you compare and see more specifics for wind speed, direction etc to the Predict Wind tool ( or whichever you use).
Bottom Line: I am more or less a student in this and wish to improve my skills in understanding weather and passage planning.

I would also very much like to do a zoom meeting with anyone wishing to contribute. this will be folded into a SSCA webinar that I am hosting at the end of the month. I have time to dedicate to this before I start my sprint to get my boat in the water ( bottom paint etc) and start my season.

thank you
Mike Barnes
SV DADIDOC
1984 Morgan 416 Out Island
dadidoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
passage, weather, wind