Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2022, 10:30   #1

Boat: 2010 Leopard 46
Jordan Series Drogue undersized for my boat

I have a 2010 Leopard 46 catamaran and recently bought a Jordan Series Drogue that has 108 cones. When I go to the Jordan website I see that a boat with my displacement (about 35,000 lbs) should have 137 cones. I am having a hard time finding a source of cones that I can get in the ten days I have before leaving for the PPJ (Banderas Bay to the Marquesas).

Any suggestions on how to increase the drag?

I have a Fortress 37 aluminum anchor I can hang off the end. And / or 50 ft of chain, a small fender, etc.

Does hanging additional items off the end hurt the function of the Jordan drogue? More weight would cause it to sink more - does that matter?

I do understand that the line will need to be beefed up to handle more load.

thanks
Pat
Looking4Neptune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 11:18   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009
Re: Jordan Series Drogue undersized for my boat

Displacement for a cruising cat seems high. Light displacement for your boat is 12 tons (https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/le...-moorings-4600) so you put another five and a half tons on-board to cruise (45% more)?

Anyhow, if you find yourself in times of trouble, it's the drag that you want to increase and that does not have to be an all-or-nothing one-solution thing. You can deploy your existing series drogue (definitely add some chain at the end if not already equipped) to keep the tail down. Then add warps of a wave-length aft tied to your mooring cleats.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, drogue, size