Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2018, 13:09   #31

Boat: Corbin 39 / 41.5 LOA
Re: Hurricane Florence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Golly I’m in a pickle. In LI Sound headed down to Annapolis, six traveling days away. Tracks are all over the place but leaning towards NC and south. If I keep going I’d be arriving in Annapolis the day this thing makes landfall, wherever that is.

And I need to be on a plane by the 17th so need to fish or cut bait. Either keep heading south or lay the boat up here. Not many options between here and the Bay.

Attachment 177008

A good hurricane hole for transient is up the CT River in Hamburg Cove. Rental moorings available 25.00 per night from Cove Landing Marina. Small cove and surrounded by hills. Have spent storms from Gloria on in this location...
Best of luck..!
Old 08-09-2018, 16:13   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine1983 View Post
Suijin, Clamdigger is right- highlands is a great place. Big protective breakwater and full haul facilities. I should have mentioned it in the places I gave you. Not sure how that yard fared in Sandy, but nobody around here was really unscathed. Good luck man.
Suijin, and anyone else in need are welcome to my hospitality, just come, I am 15 minutes from the harbor, have a car to assist you shoreside and can get you to anything you need. I was here during Sandy and did rescue work w FD. Just call and let me know if you are coming, ph number in my post above 0900hrs- 2000hrs, or 9am- 8pm lol!
Theres moorings available in ah marina behind the breakwater, dockage, and more dockage in Highlands, I'm a local , you need help I'm your guy, it's a boating thing I get it since I have been out there myself.
Suijin, If you come I will personally check on your vessel daily, more than once if need be while you are gone. I got this, bring it!
Clamdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 16:18   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenega View Post
A good hurricane hole for transient is up the CT River in Hamburg Cove. Rental moorings available 25.00 per night from Cove Landing Marina. Small cove and surrounded by hills. Have spent storms from Gloria on in this location...
Best of luck..!
I can vouch for this location having used it myself many times in the 1970's- 1990's. Grew up in Mystic, CT and sailed the LI Sound for first 20 years. Then gre some cajones and then singlehanded a half circumnav🙈🙉🙊😁
Old 08-09-2018, 16:28   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
lots of empty and free moorings here in New London Ct currently
I used to manage the marine store on theThames across from EB. Moorings at Burrs yacht haven are good. Lots of smaller marinas in Mystic area to haulout I worked at the majority of them as a teenager lol! Napatree point, over near Watch Hill, RI is good holding for those of you anchoring during the upcoming weather. Anyone caught out near Watch Hill, RI Call Me and I will direct you to a private hurricane hole you can cross tie in. This would hold 3 35 ft boats, but I won't post it publicly, because it is private property.
Old 08-09-2018, 16:48   #35

AH municipal marina, 732-291-1670 , ext 13, Mr John Amici Harbormaster, one of the most professional you will meet on the water great guy.

Harbor

Bakers marina in Highlands, NJ for dockage, only hauls under 30ft, smaller Travellift than AH marinas, which can haul cats, power and sail to 80ft I believe.

Bakers ask for Carol, let her know you were referred by capt Eugene, and she willdo her best to get you safe dockage. It's much better protected dockage than first appearences from your boat , as it's protected from swells and N/NE/W winds.
Old 08-09-2018, 16:48   #36

Boat: Yawl,One of a Kind, 39 feet, Mare Nostrum
Send a message via Skype™ to Mare Nostrum

The "one behind it" is Isaac----eerily like Ike 10 years ago---let us all be very CAUTIOUS!!
Mare Nostrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 17:09   #37

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamdigger View Post
I used to manage the marine store on theThames across from EB. Moorings at Burrs yacht haven are good. Lots of smaller marinas in Mystic area to haulout I worked at the majority of them as a teenager lol! Napatree point, over near Watch Hill, RI is good holding for those of you anchoring during the upcoming weather. Anyone caught out near Watch Hill, RI Call Me and I will direct you to a private hurricane hole you can cross tie in. This would hold 3 35 ft boats, but I won't post it publicly, because it is private property.

Thanks Gene. The issue is now weather. Thunderstorms, 35 knot winds, and waves rolling in from the SE, predicted to be in the neighborhood of 15’. While it’s s short dash from the Verrazano to the protection of the hook, I’d basically be broadside. In torrential rain winds to 35 knots with shipping traffic etc. Sounds a bit whimpy I know but it’s not exactly a good time. I’m going to see what my options are in the Sound tomorrow. If it was better weather I’d be at Sandy hook in a heartbeat as my sister could pick me up.

I was just up at Essex two days ago. Should stayed lol.

I’m expecting all we’ll get up here is some strong winds and a boatload if rain. But hurricanes never go where they are supposed to. The track is creeping north, the only thing holding it back is a ridge that has been forecast but had not developed yet. That strikes me as a recipe for a late surprise turn.
Old 08-09-2018, 17:11   #38

Morgan Marina off of the Raritan Bay, West side of the Bay, is another full service marina, and owners can work on their vessels. Great staff of knowledgeable employees if you need to be hauled for any reason. Caveat, going through the Hwy 35 Bridge and the next 175ft to the Amtrak Railroad Bridge, both ch 13, there is heavy current during tides, change your shorts kind of hairy if you dont have a reliable working engine. I got caught once between and had to hold between both closed bridges, and probably lost a good 5 years off my life ymmv! Morgan marina 732-727-2289 they have transient dockage as well, and faired well during Sandy.
Old 08-09-2018, 17:19   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We anchored between the mooring field and the highway bridge just up river from Goat Island in Newport for the edge hit of a hurricane in 2016. About 11 feet deep and mostly protected. We had winds to 48 knots.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 17:22   #40

Quote:
Thanks Gene. The issue is now weather. Thunderstorms, 35 knot winds, and waves rolling in from the SE, predicted to be in the neighborhood of 15’. While it’s s short dash from the Verrazano to the protection of the hook, I’d basically be broadside. In torrential rain winds to 35 knots with shipping traffic etc. Sounds a bit whimpy I know but it’s not exactly a good time. I’m going to see what my options are in the Sound tomorrow. If it was better weather I’d be at Sandy hook in a heartbeat as my sister could pick me up.

I was just up at Essex two days ago. Should stayed lol.

I’m expecting all we’ll get up here is some strong winds and a boatload if rain. But hurricanes never go where they are supposed to. The track is creeping north, the only thing holding it back is a ridge that has been forecast but had not developed yet. That strikes me as a recipe for a late surprise turn.
Suijin, are you short crew? Call me, I know the area traffic can seem daunting, but it's doable. Heck, I was out in much worse last December, and had to have a 47MLB tow me in after icing up just outside sandy hook bay! Standing by for your call.
Old 08-09-2018, 18:01   #41

Boat: Down East Yachts, Downeaster 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenega View Post
Best of luck..!

Agreed. Good spot with quality moorings and shouldn't get much storm surge up there. Very well protected from winds with hills all around.

If pulling out, I'd look at some of the marinas north of Essex. They get less expensive and storm surge might not be much of an issue up there, even with the outside chance the storm heads up this way.

Other good protected anchorages are Niantic harbor and Point Judith harbor (up inside, not the harbor of refuge).
Downeaster 38 #40
"Downeast Yachts - More sailing per mile since 1975"
Argyle38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 05:50   #42

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
The decision has been made for me. Big waves will be reaching the jersey coast within 48 hours. Just when I would be transiting down it, with an onshore breeze. Not a great plan.

I figured Chesapeake City would make a good hole being little more than a mud puddle but staying up in the Sound for the time being is the prudent choice.

I haven't looked at the coastal NJ forecasts, but would have thought Florence winds wouldn't be causing too much grief until next Wed/Thurs? Maybe it's the midwest weather that would be dominant earlier than that?

FWIW, Delaware Bay forecasts for next Tues/Wed are favorable for us... light winds, calm seas... so as of just this minute, I'm thinking to move to Chesapeake City (from Lewes) on Tuesday. Might not be as much wind as you'd prefer on those two days...

-Chris
Old 09-09-2018, 06:25   #43

Boat: a sailing boat

Yup. Quite a burst in Atlantic activity - with 4 systems active.

Sept 9, midday, Florence very active and gaining more energy, tracking due towards the continent. Roughly towards the Carolinas. Brace.

If you have a boat nearby, get ready.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:41   #44

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamdigger View Post
Suijin, are you short crew? Call me, I know the area traffic can seem daunting, but it's doable. Heck, I was out in much worse last December, and had to have a 47MLB tow me in after icing up just outside sandy hook bay! Standing by for your call.

Gene thanks again for the offer, most appreciated!

I’m single handing, as usual. I’ve been through there a bunch of times and have in fact stopped at AH a few times to pick up and drop off guests.

At this point I’m still evaluating options. Proceeding further SW for the sake of saving a few bucks is on the face of it penny wise and pound foolish. That said, AH would be the most logistically convenient for my plans through the end of September.

I’m going to wait for the wind to blow through tomorrow then make my move on Tuesday based on what Florence is doing. Should be pretty clear by then. If it’s to AH should be pretty straightforward at that point although start of the ebb at Hell Gate won’t be until @ noon.
Old 09-09-2018, 06:49   #45
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

florence is looking at being a cat 4 by landfall. please be safe.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, hurricane