Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2018, 05:25   #16

Boat: Cal 33-2
Re: Hurricane Florence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Golly I’m in a pickle. In LI Sound headed down to Annapolis, six traveling days away. Tracks are all over the place but leaning towards NC and south. If I keep going I’d be arriving in Annapolis the day this thing makes landfall, wherever that is.

And I need to be on a plane by the 17th so need to fish or cut bait. Either keep heading south or lay the boat up here. Not many options between here and the Bay.

Attachment 177008
Not many good choices. Even if the current track holds and it hits the Carolinas, the ocean is going to be nasty along the New Jersey coast and the inlets are going to be dangerous. Good luck.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:39   #17

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Golly I’m in a pickle. In LI Sound headed down to Annapolis, six traveling days away. Tracks are all over the place but leaning towards NC and south. If I keep going I’d be arriving in Annapolis the day this thing makes landfall, wherever that is.

And I need to be on a plane by the 17th so need to fish or cut bait. Either keep heading south or lay the boat up here. Not many options between here and the Bay.

Attachment 177008
As you know, if it's strong enough all the locals will be pulling their boats and the boatyards will be full then you'll be stuck trying to find a decent place to anchor.

But if it's really strong, it's a total crap shoot. A friend of mine had his Tayana 37 knocked off it's stands during Cat 3/4 Hurricane Ivan in 2004, but he was only a few 100 yards from the water on the Redneck Riviera near Flora-Bama. He was a liveaboard and had no insurance.

That area got hit really hard and there were a few casualties in that area
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:41   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

what?! not ready?? is cane season.
be safe and stay safe.
prep prep prep. saves lives.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:57   #19

Boat: Valiant 40

Zee I’m in transit. It’s not like everyone on the east coast doesn’t go out on their boat Sep-Nov lol
Old 08-09-2018, 07:03   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
As you know, if it's strong enough all the locals will be pulling their boats and the boatyards will be full then you'll be stuck trying to find a decent place to anchor.

The decision has been made for me. Big waves will be reaching the jersey coast within 48 hours. Just when I would be transiting down it, with an onshore breeze. Not a great plan.

I figured Chesapeake City would make a good hole being little more than a mud puddle but staying up in the Sound for the time being is the prudent choice.

If I had not had to wait at Block Island for a week for a new starter I’d be in Annapolis now. Argh. So it goes.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:10   #21

Boat: Hanse, 400e - 40ft

Quote:
Ugh. This makes planning difficult:

Attachment 176917
Yep!

We’re anchored in Provincetown harbor at the moment - plan was to continue south on Monday, but we’ve decided to stay put until Florence makes up her mind!

Stay safe folks!
Old 08-09-2018, 07:20   #22

Suijin, I'm in Atlantic Highlands NJ, I can help you & your boat secure safe dockage and or anchor you if you would rather. You can call my cell # 732- 610- 87 two five if you would like my help. That offer is good for any CF members or their family and friends transiting my area, so folks, put it in your rotodex for the future because I won't repost the number online again. I had health issues that took me out this past year, but I am able to assist my fellow sailors as need be, door is always open. Missed being here this past year! Gene
Clamdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:24   #23

Boat: Grand banks 32' Classic

We were doing a leisurely transit from Rhode Island to Great Bridge when Sandy generated. We kept moving, looking at holes, decided on Chesapeake City, had a rough ride up the Delaware Bay. Just after we tied up the Coasties moved in - they'd been told to stand down until it passed. A few days later we cautiously made our way down the Chesapeake, dodging logs and debris.

The water rose over some docks, wind, rain, and the bar stayed open...
rolandcavanagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:29   #24
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Zee I’m in transit. It’s not like everyone on the east coast doesn’t go out on their boat Sep-Nov lol
in transit is more of a challenge... can you find wiggly river upstream and inland???
so we need scotty. too many need beamed up....
be safe and sane and undamaged upon this beasties departure. it is ramping up again, supposedly , into a major cane by landfall..... if you are able, get out of strike zone., ye donot wanna be the next home run...AND there is a yellow blob between florence and land, gotta keep weather eyes both open, this year. wickedness. make tracks amigo... be safe!~~

yeah we sail between canes here as well.. only we get but a few days between. and i am repairing ..saga continues...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:18   #25

Hurricane Florence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamdigger View Post
Suijin, I'm in Atlantic Highlands NJ, I can help you & your boat secure safe dockage and or anchor you if you would rather. You can call my cell # 732- 610- 87 two five if you would like my help. That offer is good for any CF members or their family and friends transiting my area, so folks, put it in your rotodex for the future because I won't repost the number online again. I had health issues that took me out this past year, but I am able to assist my fellow sailors as need be, door is always open. Missed being here this past year! Gene

Gene thank you very much, that might be a good plan. My plane leaves from Newark so maybe it’s serendipity at work.

I would not leave my boat at anchor. On a mooring if it looks like Florence will make landfall in Va or south would be ok.

The issue is that I need to leave the boat for 10 days after the hurricane starting the 17th. So there is the financial juggling of whether it’s cheaper to take a mooring or just haul out. If the storm bends north, she’s getting hauled and the decision is made.

BTW moorings here in Oyster Bay are outrageous at $65/a night. Highway robbery given how unexceptional the town is.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:29   #26
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
The decision has been made for me. Big waves will be reaching the jersey coast within 48 hours. Just when I would be transiting down it, with an onshore breeze. Not a great plan.

I figured Chesapeake City would make a good hole being little more than a mud puddle but staying up in the Sound for the time being is the prudent choice.

If I had not had to wait at Block Island for a week for a new starter I’d be in Annapolis now. Argh. So it goes.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:04   #27

Boat: Mauritius 43 Sloop

Quote:
BTW moorings here in Oyster Bay are outrageous at $65/a night. Highway robbery given how unexceptional the town is.
There's a good anchorage area near Bayville (couple good restaurants as well), either on Mill Neck side or West Harbor. You can dinghy ashore under the bridge to Bridge Marine. I've never had an issue leaving my dinghy there; folks were pretty friendly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVRocinante
We’re anchored in Provincetown harbor at the moment - plan was to continue south on Monday, but we’ve decided to stay put until Florence makes up her mind!
We're also trying to head south. Stuck in Salem Sound right now and weather this weekend and especially Monday looks snotty.
atmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:16   #28

Suijin, Clamdigger is right- highlands is a great place. Big protective breakwater and full haul facilities. I should have mentioned it in the places I gave you. Not sure how that yard fared in Sandy, but nobody around here was really unscathed. Good luck man.
Peregrine1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:17   #29

I grew up in Oyster Bay and know the water like the back of my hand. Used to collect garbage and sell newspapers and donuts on the bay as a kid. Back when half the waterfront was a superfund site with Jacobson’s Shipyard building tugs. They cleaned that up but downtown is still pretty banal. Except Mrs. M’s Variety store is now a brewery!
Old 08-09-2018, 10:00   #30
CLOD

Boat: none

lots of empty and free moorings here in New London Ct currently

Tags
enc, hurricane