Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2016, 20:27   #136

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: How do we prepare our boat for 50 kt winds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabrielLarios View Post
SF Bay Dude
Hello, I am Gabriel Larios
Manager/Owner Marina Guaymas
I really have no idea what are you talking about.
Yes, we got a couple incidents like any other marina in the area, but certainly much less incident than any other, our dry storage it is OK, we still checking every single boat to make sure wich ones was receive damage because of the strong winds (we are checking solar panels, hatches, etc)
What really put my attention in your post was you say we leave sails on their furless!!! No way was truth, please before put a note verify
It is my duty and I will do it, I will contact the owners of the couple boats who receive damage from the storm, I do not gonna put an advertisement about that, I JUST GONNA CONTACT THE OWNERS, and is their choice if they share or not the info

Please put attention in what you post, just worry people for nothing.

By the way, how are you?? I respond over 100 emails yesterday and I dont lie at all..... Please try to be more diplomatic
If yourselve feel good posting on the internet, it is OK for me... but dont post lies
Thanks for posting, Gabriel. It is still very hard to get any information about conditions after the storm. I did look at the pictures on your website (before the storm) and all of the stored boats I saw had their sails removed from their furlers. Unfortunately, I also saw this picture of about a dozen boats which had fallen over, and all of them had their sails removed also. Don't be too hard of SF Bay Dude, he was just reporting what he heard on Latitude 38.

So, are you saying that none of the boats in your dry storage yards fell over?? That would be very good news.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	guaymas.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	130872  
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 21:29   #137

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Mr. Gabriel Larios,

Thank you for posting here. The job you have right now is very difficult, and I, for one, also appreciate that you took the time and effort to let us know what you're doing. My computer does not do Spanish, but muchisimas gracias, senor.
Old 08-09-2016, 23:01   #138

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabrielLarios View Post
SF Bay Dude
Hello, I am Gabriel Larios
Manager/Owner Marina Guaymas
I really have no idea what are you talking about.
Yes, we got a couple incidents like any other marina in the area, but certainly much less incident than any other, our dry storage it is OK, we still checking every single boat to make sure wich ones was receive damage because of the strong winds (we are checking solar panels, hatches, etc)
What really put my attention in your post was you say we leave sails on their furless!!! No way was truth, please before put a note verify
It is my duty and I will do it, I will contact the owners of the couple boats who receive damage from the storm, I do not gonna put an advertisement about that, I JUST GONNA CONTACT THE OWNERS, and is their choice if they share or not the info

Please put attention in what you post, just worry people for nothing.

By the way, how are you?? I respond over 100 emails yesterday and I dont lie at all..... Please try to be more diplomatic
If yourselve feel good posting on the internet, it is OK for me... but dont post lies
My boat is in Gabriels yard. He has always helped me in many ways and is an excellent yard owner. I emailed him and soon after received an email from him assuring me my boat was ok. I know how busy he is during all this and the fact he took the time to email me spoke volumes as to who he is. I'm heading down in 5 weeks and hope my solar panels are intact and can finish up a few projects and launch.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 23:09   #139

Boat: Norseman 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
And, thanks for having a look for Anwagomi. If you're familiar with the design, it's a Golden Hinde 31, gold anodized mast, boat colors white and green, with tan sail cover and dodger (if on the boat). Thanks for trying. Ann
Hi Ann,
We weren't allowed in any of the yards yesterday. I took pictures of what I could see through the chain link fence. There are two albums of damages posted to our Facebook page if anyone is interested.

The marinas and storage yards are contacting all the owners by email to let them know the status of their boats.

This is the one we received today from Marina San Carlos. Not quite accurate, in my opinion...

Dear Marina Client,

As you probably know hurricane Newton hit San Carlos Tuesday night, we sustained damage to some of the docks at the Marina from the high winds during the night. Some boats in the marina have scratches from rubbing against the docks but no major damage or structural issues are visible.

At Marina Seca some boats fell over on their side we are currently picking the boats up and setting them back on their keels.

We sent an email with pictures to the owners of the boats affected by the hurricane, if you didnt receive an email is because your boat has no damage.

Thank you for your understanding!

It simply isn't true that there was no major damage or structural issues to yachts in the marina.

Things have calmed down considerably. Power has been restored to the marina, but the dock water is still off. Gorgeous day, calm seas, and a beautiful evening.

Now, back to cruising.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4968.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	455.6 KB
ID:	130873   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4971.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	437.6 KB
ID:	130874  

Name:	IMG_5056.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	423.9 KB
ID:	130875  
Sailor647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 23:55   #140

Safe and sound. Now, to start putting everything back in place.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4937.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	414.2 KB
ID:	130876  
Old 09-09-2016, 06:21   #141
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

So those boats on the hard that fell over were not lashed down?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 06:42   #142

Location: Mountains south of Campo. South East of TKT in Baja.
Boat: 45 ft., Leopard

My boat is in FONATUR, San Felipe. Over the last year, there have been several very strong "nortes" (Santa Annas)(very high desert winds that blow from the Mojave desert in northern California south). The personnel there have watched and adjusted the lines on my boat as well on other boats. I even leave extra lines in the cabin for them to use on my boat or on any other that needs it. They have had to use my lines on absentee owner. They do the best they can with what they have. After all, one should not pis- off mother nature.
I have seen Native Americans do a "rain dance". Does any one know of "stop the hurricane" dance.
My boat has been there for 15 months. In that time not even a screw driver has gone missing. I leave stuff laying around all the time. It might help I have several Mexican Navy boats all around me. They have personnel on their crafts 24 hours a day and are fairly well armed (50 caliber machine guns on some). They are very friendly and courteous. But then so am I.
fuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 10:39   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
So those boats on the hard that fell over were not lashed down?
Hi MarkJ,
We did not see any straps from our vantage point.

One thing we have observed while cruising in Mexico is the "standards" for many things - boat care, for one - are a lot different than the United States. Not judging, just observing.

During the storm and aftermath, we witnessed boats being tended by Mexicans hired to "take care of the boats" for absentee owners on our dock. Their use of undersized and degraded line (scraps, really), the improper tying of lines to dock cleats, and tying boats to tight is just how they do things here. They just don't know...or so it appears.

During the storm, the sailboat across from us has its bow line snap, and started crashing into the boat next to it. We heard it. It was being held in place by one stern line. We were able to get on board and secure another heavy bow line (our spares). We doubled up the bow line and tied it properly to the boat cleat and the dock cleat. The boat tender came the following day to check on the boat. He removed our sturdy doubled-up bowline and replaced it with a thinner single line, secured improperly at both ends. It is what it is. We didn't feel it was our place to try and educate him.

I don't think there was any intentional neglect, I think they just don't know...

And, like someone else pointed out earlier, hurricanes in San Carlos are so rare that the information is lost before it can be reused.
Old 09-09-2016, 13:10   #144
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

The Latest good Summary from Latitude 38
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2016, 12:45   #145

Hey everyone,

Here's an entertainment video (not instructional/educational) we put together about our experience on the dock at Marina San Carlos before, during, and after Hurricane Newton, September 6-7, 2016.

Enjoy.

Old 17-09-2016, 13:15   #146

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Thanx for posting that video. I thank my lucky stars my boat came through it unscathed at the yard in Guaymas.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2016, 13:48   #147

Boat: a sailing boat

Thanks for the video! It is very good!

I am surprised why so many boats pictured use MM sized fenders?

Our boat is say quarter the displacement of what we can see there and at times we fend with up to 6 units (two of them mega booms) each side, when it gets somewhat too lively in marinas. That's in plain nasty conditions, not in a hurricane!

Well, it nearly all ended OK, no? Except for those in the boatyard, I guess.

BTW Is it the same boatyard where someone jumped in said he was a manager there and everything was right ...??? ;-)

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2016, 14:21   #148

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

No B. That was Marina Seca Guymas. The toppled boats were c at M. Seca San Carlos. Our boat is just out of frame on the M. Seca shots in the video. We were lucky lucky lucky! We were in the hall of the row that did not fall.
Old 17-09-2016, 19:44   #149

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Lotsa lessons here. Highest anemometer readings I saw were under 45. Boy, were they lucky!

First lesson, reduce windage, remove sails. Double all your dock lines when you leave your boat for hurricane season. It's a different ball park from So Cal.

Second lesson, more and larger fenders, two per side is not enough, but 4 per side, one size up, probably, but the ties for them need chafing gear. When more wind comes through, the fenders pop out more.

Remember, the force of the wind is not linear, it is a geometric progression. It will make even light boats lean heavily on their fenders, and with more mass, more pressure on them.

All that damage in only 40 plus knots!

Good on the guy going around trying to take care of the boats. Boats with absentee owners had a good friend in him.

Ann
Old 17-09-2016, 23:31   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Good on the guy going around trying to take care of the boats. Boats with absentee owners had a good friend in him.
Thanks, Ann. We couldn't just watch without trying to help in some way, as long as it wasn't too dangerous. The highest gust we saw on the readout while inside the boat was 55 kts. We heard Guaymas had a LOT stronger winds. Perhaps were were protected by the surrounding cliffs / hills.

On thing that the video doesn't capture is the storm surge. The boats were really rockin' and rollin' in the middle of the storm.

Tags
wind