Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2023, 10:26   #16

Boat: 35' Alden Design Cutter
Re: Earth outside its safe operating space..

People should quit instantly clutching their pearls every time a "Scientist" tells them the sky is falling.

The biggest problem this world has is power greedy a-holes at the top. Their entire purpose is to sow division.
Old 15-09-2023, 10:28   #17
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
have to make it to 2100 first
Why? You don’t need to loose half of the population before chaos starts. I saw projections of 10% loss in 30 years, after which we really free fall, but at 10% all our public transport incl. airlines and all our utilities companies will be bankrupt. Banks and local governments too.

Old 15-09-2023, 10:39   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
r

The West (1st?World) does not have a population problem, we have automation and the way things are going we won't even need soldiers in the near future.. the day of the Droid is fast approaching.
Its places like Africa with over a billion under 35 and not enough jobs and little tech.
India has 65% under 35...
Malaysia 5,532.8 thousand under 25..
Africa will be the place where the Water Wars begin, the rumblings of which have already begun..
Their populations are already hitting Europe where the smug superiority of the elite is failing to see the growing enemy within.. Reverse Colonisation..
I agree, but I bet that a large majority on this forum still believes that overpopulation is the problem, as can be witnessed in some of the posts above.

Yes, Africa will be the only continent with population growth. Nigeria will have more population than China. Today, India already has more population than China.

Asia itself will fall too, incl. India. I didn’t check Indonesia and Malaysia yet… so let’s do that now: Indonesia has a fertility rate of 2.19 births per woman so that is barely above the needed 2.1 replacement rate. Malaysia is at 1.82 so falling quick. Thailand is at 1.34 which is catastrophic like Japan which is 1.34 too. Russia 1.5, North Korea 1.82

So we’re fine, right? South Korea is at a mouth dropping 0.84 so their population will be wiped out in only one generation. They have 52 million people now and they will be replaced by less than 21 million! Imagine that, in 30 years they will loose 52 - 21 = 31 million people! And nobody talks about it.

Old 15-09-2023, 10:45   #19

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
no one really talks the real problem

too many people
Yup, no more babies.
Recreational rooting only - it worked for me until it didn't.

Need more people? Australia is back where it was 70 years ago - or maybe even before that. All our industry went bugger orf 40 odd years ago and we are back to exporting cows sheep and wheat plus stuff we dig out of the ground.

Yet we are bringing in between 300,000 and 400,000 immigrants - that is net immigration - a year on a population of about 27 million. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-04-...high/102281798

Why do we need these people? To build houses for the next lot to arrive who are needed to build houses etc etc..
Oh- and baristas - we need baristas.
Old 15-09-2023, 10:48   #20

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:

too many people
And too much money. Homes are twice as big as in the 50's and 60's despite families being half the size. There are more vehicles than drivers in the average American household. People fly FAR more than ever before - and cruise ships didn't exist fifty years ago. And zoom out to see the entire Pacific Ocean on Vesselfinder.com to see just how much fuel we are burning to bring cars, clothes, and WalMart, Dollar Store, and Costco crap from Asia to North America. It's scary and literally overwhelming.

And don't get me started on how big, complicated, and expensive cruising sailboats and powerboats are getting. 50 foot cats? And there was a guy on here recently talking about getting a hundred-footer!

We're all talking about climate change, but blythly carrying on doing little about it.
Old 15-09-2023, 11:01   #21

If you could name the top 10 unnecessary uses of planet resources, I'm guessing sailing and sailboats would fall in there somewhere.

But the sailing chicken littles will tut-tut the demise of the planet, which of course is "their" (somebody else's) fault.

Unbelievable
Old 15-09-2023, 11:04   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Yup, no more babies.
Recreational rooting only - it worked for me until it didn't.

Need more people? Australia is back where it was 70 years ago - or maybe even before that. All our industry went bugger orf 40 odd years ago and we are back to exporting cows sheep and wheat plus stuff we dig out of the ground.

Yet we are bringing in between 300,000 and 400,000 immigrants - that is net immigration - a year on a population of about 27 million. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-04-...high/102281798

Why do we need these people? To build houses for the next lot to arrive who are needed to build houses etc etc..
Oh- and baristas - we need baristas.
Australia, dramatic fertility rate as well: 1.58. The population of 27 million will be reduced to 20 million in one generation!

Chili? 1.54 fertility rate so in line with North America and Western Europe. Spain is at 1.23 !

Old 15-09-2023, 11:06   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingw View Post
If you could name the top 10 unnecessary uses of planet resources, I'm guessing sailing and sailboats would fall in there somewhere.

But the sailing chicken littles will tut-tut the demise of the planet, which of course is "their" (somebody else's) fault.

Unbelievable
Here, another one. Which resource are we running out of? The right answer is young people!

Old 15-09-2023, 11:24   #24

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

There's 2 sides of the population problem. The societal problem where having not enough of some demographics or in the wrong places causes issues. And a shrinking population makes it hard to avoid some of those issues.

Then there's the resources issue. Most resource and environmental issues are made worse by having more people on Earth. Emissions of X times 5 billion people is not as big an effect as X times 8 billion people, for example. This is the issue people are pointing to with the "too many people" concern.
Old 15-09-2023, 11:45   #25

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Jedi is right about the population trends and dire economic results possible because of them.

50 foot cats an environmental issue? Lol Having built one, I can safely tell you the resources used are nearly identical to a 35ft cat.

You still have all the same overhead, most of the same items in the boat, etc. the only difference is a slight increase in the amount of materials you need to buy.

Also, some of us don’t live in wasteful houses and drive cars around and stuff. So building our one home 15ft longer than a smaller one is not exactly destroying the planet. Lol

Note: I wrestled greatly with the thought of building a new boat when there were so many used ones out there. Buying a used one is much better for the planet. I built one for economic purposes. To buy this boat, the closest one is a 2007 model that’s currently on yacht world for $1.3 million. That is the only reason I built. Can you imagine the carbon footprint to amass $1.3 million for a boat?
Old 15-09-2023, 12:59   #26
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingw View Post

Unbelievable
Really? I believe the last 7 years I have on my sailboat as very low carbon footprint
Old 15-09-2023, 13:24   #27

Boat: 35' Alden Design Cutter

Quote:
Really? I believe the last 7 years I have on my sailboat as very low carbon footprint
Yeah, sailing isn't even in the top 10k
Old 15-09-2023, 13:30   #28

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:

too many people
Only because we eat meat.

Rainforests are cut down to raise cattle. Fossil fuels burned to grow crops that feed cattle, etc. If everyone was a vegetarian, the Earth could easily support the 12B people our population is expected to reach (and subsequently decline from).

More realistically, if we only eat meat once in a while instead of every meal, we could probably still pull it off.
Old 15-09-2023, 13:58   #29

Quote:

too many people
No, it's too many people all wanting the same wealth and advantages as the average CFer.

I do agree with Jedi that in some countries there will be an aging crisis, which why is immigration is actually so important to those countries. Even Japan is having a rethink about immigration.

... yet the demonization of migrants continues in the west, cos it plays well to anxious and disgruntled workers.

Humanity will survive. But I have no more hope that humans will effectively bend enough to not seriously F up a lot of the planet. We will become a smaller, more technologically-dependant population, and nature will largely be replaced with industrialized agriculture, reserves that are little more than petting zoos, and museums where our grandkids can see stuffed examples of the natural word that we displaced.
Old 15-09-2023, 14:23   #30

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

This thread has been closed because it is unrelated to sailing, cruising, and boats. The subject matter is highly political. When you want to discuss our planet, please use other forums for it.

Thank you for your cooperation.

JPA Cate, moderator