Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2015, 13:32   #1

Xantrex Freedom 25

My inverter/charger appears to have a bad fan. It charges for a few minutes and then shuts down and the over temp light starts flashing. After a bit, it restarts. Normally when it is running, the fan is blasting, but it is just kind of sputtering now. I put an external fan next to it temporarily and that seems to help.

This clearly seems to be overheating due to the fan, but I suspect it may not be that simple. I've found the replacement, but I wanted to get some views on whether it is worth replacing the fan or should I just send it in for diagnosis and service. I assume, for example, there is some kind of fan controller and perhaps that is bad.

Thanks in advance!
Challo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 13:46   #2

Re: Xantrex Freedom 25

IIRC, Xantrex bought out Heart years ago. I don't think Xantrex has a clue as to what's "under the hood."

A friend in the UK has the same Freedom 15 we do and reports he can't get it serviced. They're pretty big hunks of metal, too. Mine is an older model with the 2/0 wiring firmly attached to the box, unlike the newer ones where you had to provide your own wires but at least had the advantage of being able to remove the box and leave the wire in place. I simply can't.

Whatever you need to do is something it appears you will have to do. And, most likely, will be done better anyway. Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 05:50   #3

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari 41

This is a common failure and an easy fix replace he fan and it will likely be fine. The control function is built into the circuit boards and I have never seen that fail.

Jay
captainjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:59   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainjay View Post
This is a common failure and an easy fix replace he fan and it will likely be fine. The control function is built into the circuit boards and I have never seen that fail.

Jay
Thanks. I have to admit that this is the preferred answer all the way around. I don't really feel like pulling that monster out. I think I will try this and if it doesn't work, then I'll schlep it to the service center.
Challo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freedom 25