Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2016, 08:43   #16

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41
Re: Wire size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folie View Post
Pcmm--- interesting idea. Thank you.

So to clarify--- this heavier ground wire goes the length of the mast and is "cut" and "junctioned" with connectors at the SteamingLite and at rhe SpreaderLites. Since the mast is down I can do a good job and solder these connections- but still- wouldn't homeruns be better? OOOOOHHHHH-- wait---- these LEDs are picky I think-- if you don't get the wires right they flat out don't work, I THINK. With home runs, you can just switch the wires, but with one groundwire-- I think you may be in trouble. WhatDoYouThink?

I wouldn't solder, but I would use a butt connector ( one that reduces from a larger gauge on one side so you have room). I would actually make the connection so that the "joint" is above the mid point so the pigtail from the ground travels down to the fixture ( to keep water from travelling down the wire to the joint!) when I build my mast cables, I usually build it with a piece of small diameter rope into the bundle so that the rope takes the weight of the wire, not the wire itself! This also makes it easier to "hang" and chase the wire into the conduit, you're pulling on the rope not the wire!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:24   #17

Boat: Cheoy Lee 32 Offshore, 1979 (Ray Richards)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Good point about ABYC. What about duplex wire? Would that permit smaller gauge under ABYC?
Physical reasons??? Like-- pulling too hard and snapping???
Folie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:24   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folie View Post
So to clarify--- this heavier ground wire goes the length of the mast and is "cut" and "junctioned" with connectors at the SteamingLite and at rhe SpreaderLites. Since the mast is down I can do a good job and solder these connections- but still- wouldn't homeruns be better? OOOOOHHHHH-- wait---- these LEDs are picky I think-- if you don't get the wires right they flat out don't work, I THINK. With home runs, you can just switch the wires, but with one groundwire-- I think you may be in trouble. WhatDoYouThink?
Yes, LEDs care about polarity.

Pro tip: test all mast wiring and lights while the mast is still on the horizontal and fixtures not yet screwed/sealed to the mast. Then clearly label the wire ends at the mast base.

A splice around the steaming light isn't a problem as long as the splice itself is never subjected to a physical load. ABYC sez crimp please, you can then solder up the crimp if you like.

Best idea for waterproofing is to be able to slide a generous piece of adhesive-lined heatshrink over the completed splice. I've also had good results by gooing up the splice with 5200 or some other glue/sealant, then shrinking a piece of normal heatshrink down over that.

That tip from pcmm about including a piece of rope in the bundle is a good idea.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
size