Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2020, 07:50   #1

Boat: Hunter 410
Wind Generator and LiFePO4 Bank

I recently did a full conversion from FLA house bank to LiFePO4. In the process I have changed over all of my charging and discharging to a split bus style where the BMS can disconnect either charging or discharging independently. Overall this has worked very well.

Now I am looking at how to re-integrate my wind generator. The boat came with an Apollo 550W wind generator and a Hybrid controller. The controller is not programmable at all and so most likely designed to output to lead acid type batteries and not Lithium. This could easily create issue for charging.

Does anyone have experience with charging lithium banks with AC wind generators like the Apollo?

Option 1 would be to find a wind controller that is programmable so I can output to the lithium bank directly. This would be ideal but I cannot seem to find out that is reasonable in cost (<$300) and is trust worthy.

Option 2 would be to use my starter battery (FLA) to take all charge from the wind generator then use a battery to battery charger to take energy from the starter battery to the house bank. I looked at Sterling B2B chargers and they are great but pretty costly for the small amount of energy I will get from this technique.

Thank you for the feedback!

Here is a link to the wind generator. Apollo 550W 12V DC (3 Blades) Wind Turbine Generator for Land or Marine Use - GreenergyStar Grid Tie Inverter, Grid Power III 600W, For Solar & Wind Hybrid Systems

Here is a link for the controller. Solar Wind Hybrid 12V Charge Controller for Wind Generator and Air-X pollo Ametek - GreenergyStar Grid Tie Inverter, Grid Power III 600W, For Solar & Wind Hybrid Systems
feudalkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 10:13   #2

Re: Wind Generator and LiFePO4 Bank

I will be following with interest. Similar situation here. LiFePo house bank with Victron Multiplus and Victron Mppt solar charge controller. Just bought a 400W wind generator (AC output) that comes with cheapo charge controller. My intention is to use a bridge rectifier to step down voltage from AC to 12VDC from the generator and do away with the supplied charge controller which is not suitable for Li bank.
Nightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 10:59   #3

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

maybe your LifePo4 and BMS is different, but...

Compatibility - While the optimal charging parameters vary between LiFePO4, AGM and lead acid battery technology, the BMS built into CMPower LiFePO4 batteries compensates for this. Thus, our LiFePO4 boat batteries are compatible with most lead acid battery charging systems.

https://www.custommarineproducts.com...batteries.html

So, you might want to check with your battery/bms maker on their recommendations.
Old 26-03-2020, 11:22   #4
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by feudalkaos View Post

Option 2 would be to use my starter battery (FLA) to take all charge from the wind generator then use a battery to battery charger to take energy from the starter battery to the house bank. I looked at Sterling B2B chargers and they are great but pretty costly for the small amount of energy I will get from this technique.
Another option to consider for B2B charging is the Victron Orion-Tr Smart DC-DC Charger; the 12/12-30, as an example, is cheaper than Sterling's BB1230, is easier to configure, and has higher current delivery (the Victron is rated by current delivery while the Sterling is rated by current pull, so the Victron delivers 30A to the house bank while the Sterling will deliver -under ideal conditions- around 25A).

...certainly not the only option, but it's something to consider. Cheers!
Justin Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 00:41   #5

Boat: Ted brewer 40

Discovery 15979,

What island are you on?
Would you be willing to talk me through hooking up my new air x with my lifepo4 bank?

I’m on Maui. About to head to Oahu a while then Kauai permanently. I’m just over Maui weather

Thanks
512-971-5343
Tim francis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, lifepo4, wind, wind generator