Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2011, 11:52   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Wind Generator and Charge Controller

In looking at some wind generators they recommend charge controllers. But KISS says to not use and gives various reasons including lost output. But not using a controller seems to be based on that you are on the boat and can turn it off, or that there is always enough power use going on that you could never damage the batteries from overcharge with the wind generator.

I am thinking of putting 1 on the boat that is on a mooring during the week and no one is on the boat. So it just seems to be a little crazy to not have controller and dump circuit and risk cooking the batteries.

But what is others using as far as controllers for your wind generators? If you don't use one do you leave the wind generator on when away from the boat for days? If you do use a controller has it seemed to reduce the charging you get from the generator?
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 12:13   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
It's a good idea to go with MFGR suggestions. My Air Breeze is internally controlled to go into stall mode when the battery bank is full. However, if I ran it through the charge controller I use for my solar bank, the wind generator would freewheel when the controller shut it off, which means that it would burn out its bearings in short order.

Tags
generator, wind generator