Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2015, 10:03   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Robertson & Caine 4600 Cat
Re: Will refrigerator run on inverter ?

Simply monitor your battery meter and don't allow to draw below 12v, then it's time to recharge with the Genset.
SAMPATICO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 10:58   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMPATICO View Post
Simply monitor your battery meter and don't allow to draw below 12v, then it's time to recharge with the Genset.
Except that it isn't on the battery side that the problem lies. It's on the motor side. Your battery and inverter might go on happily, supplying less than enough power for the compressor motor to run, as flames start coming out of your reefer.
ryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 14:06   #18

Boat: Camano Troll

First, does the refrigerator even need and inverter to run or is it an AC/DC refrigerator that runs on shore power if available and 12 volts DC if not? Personally, I think this is a better solution for most of us rather than some sort of "home" or "dorm" refrigerator for better efficiency.

Get out the

But really, your entire question cannot be answered without a lot more information. Information such as the current draw of the appliances including any startup or surge current, the maximum and continuous power capability of the inverter and the capacity of the batteries in Amp Hours.

You certainly need to run the genset (or plug into shorepower) to operate an air conditioner, range and/or oven. You may or may not be able to run a microwave over on inverter/battery power. It can be done on my boat but I planned and sized my equipment for this operation.
Old 15-02-2015, 14:13   #19

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carver Heaven View Post
I got a 1990 Carver Santego 3467 several months ago. Can anyone tell me what I can run on the inverter? What do I need to start the generator to operate? I'm fairly sure I need the generator for the A/C, range, oven and microwave. How long can I use the inverter without charging the batteries? Any instruction appreciated.
Carver Heaven
Like asking how much water is in a bucket.

The best answer to such a question as you ask is - either find out what you have or just try it and see what happens. The latter option might make an entertaining YouTube video.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 15:03   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryon View Post
It's the starting amps that's the killer. The compressor motor has to start against a load, which takes a surge of amps that maybe your inverter/batteries can't meet, causing an under voltage condition, and motor heating. The motor tries to pull even more amperage, which makes it get even hotter. A few thousand cycles of this, and it dies.
I have proof for this: I bout a boat with a 1500W pseudo sine wave inverter and the fridge did not work though the Watts and Amps were ok.

We change the inverter to a 1600W true sine wave and everything was OK.
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 15:15   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Personally, I think this is a better solution for most of us rather than some sort of "home" or "dorm" refrigerator for better efficiency.
I am currently at anchor with my cheapo 120V fridge running off a cheap 750 watt modified sine wave inverter. The hourly draw is about 2.5 ah, which is very close to a 12V system, if not a hair better.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, refrigerator